unreasonable low FPS with R9 270x?

Soulres

running lowest settings,sliders all to the left, I get 40-50 FPS with no vehicles even spawned!

I got 30-60 FPS with mixed high/Medium settings with my GTS 240 and that is with a full battle going on!!

AMD FX6300 3.50ghz x6

8gb of RAM

ASUS R9 270X

Yes all my drivers are updated as Battlefield 4, Even Assassins Creed:Unity runs at 50-80 FPS! and that game is horribly optimized!

What the heck is going on here!? My older 2009 gaming PC was getting higher FPS and better graphics with this game!

<sad that this is my 300th post>

Edited by Soulres
yay my 300th post...

AMD support for DX9 has ceased, so the AMD cards don't perform as good as they could in older game engines like DCS. This could improve with DCS World 2.0 as it uses a newer DX version.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Agree with what Tinti says, essentially the very old engine of DCS is why ED are desperately trying to release DCS 2.0 and have been working on it for a long time.

DX10 is a fair bet for better performance for all of us on modern hardware and it's been said that this is a primary aim of the new engine with a release date of a couple of months/soon.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Agree with what Tinti says, essentially the very old engine of DCS is why ED are desperately trying to release DCS 2.0 and have been working on it for a long time.

DX10 is a fair bet for better performance for all of us on modern hardware and it's been said that this is a primary aim of the new engine with a release date of a couple of months/soon.

So its just the older engine...no work around either? I finally got in the mood to start relearning the A10c...poop....

AMD support for DX9 has ceased, so the AMD cards don't perform as good as they could in older game engines like DCS. This could improve with DCS World 2.0 as it uses a newer DX version.

makes sense but...ide think this would of become a priority for them years ago...seeing as how even DX10 is starting to become out of date..

One other thing to consider, DCS World is very CPU intensive (the CPU is almost always a bottleneck) unfortunately it doesn't work all that well with AMD CPUs in particular since it is a single threaded application. (AMD does fairly well in multithreaded apps, but it lags far behind Intel in pure single-threaded 'brawn').

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Can I just check here... you cannot play the game at 30 FPS?

on lowest of the low settings. sitting on the tarmac. 30fps average looking left to right.

25 looking straight. 20 while taking off. 55 while looking out to sea, 20-30 while looking back to ground. 5-15fps while trying to land. I cannot make precise movements at 5-10fps. The aircraft doesnt even trim precisely (all these fps calculations are made with no weather,and no enemy units or objects)

One other thing to consider, DCS World is very CPU intensive (the CPU is almost always a bottleneck) unfortunately it doesn't work all that well with AMD CPUs in particular since it is a single threaded application. (AMD does fairly well in multithreaded apps, but it lags far behind Intel in pure single-threaded 'brawn').

My old PC had a Intel Dual Core 2.99ghz (from 2009)processor. and had higher average fps

However I do not wish to turn this into a AMD vs INTEL debate since similar priced INtel processors fail in comparison and I can say ive heard the same about Intel processors aswell with threading. however lets not do that here :P

Not trying to turn this into a debate, just trying to help. With all of that said, your PC should be performing much better than an old dual core Intel processor based PC. Have you checked your CPU and GPU temperatures? Perhaps it's a cooling issue?

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Not trying to turn this into a debate, just trying to help. With all of that said, your PC should be performing much better than an old dual core Intel processor based PC. Have you checked your CPU and GPU temperatures? Perhaps it's a cooling issue?

Oh i know.GPU goesnt even get above 40'C cpu stays at 39'C its not a cooling or heating issue

As 9 hours straight of BF4 on maximum settings without any frame drops or over heating issues, hottest my GPU has ever gotten in its history was 71'C sadly I think what ive heard before in this post is taht its the fault of the Older Engine not being able to be processed by newer hardware.

How ever It still worries me since the "2.0" has taken so far to come out how much a improvement will it actually be.

Ive had no issues running any games really. and turning the game from maximum settings to lowest, doesnt really seem to change the Frame rate at all oddly enough but its still unplayable

What are your setting specifically?

Did you disable aero interface?

Do you use TSSAA?

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

everything turned on(sliders pulled to the right)HDR Warm Vsync, Everything turned off(sliders pulled to the left). just tried with disabled AERO and still nothing. and again with everything on or off. there is mayby a 5,10 frame difference which is odd. and again it is only DCS

If you are looking for help please link the topics you have tried (there are dozens) so the community doesn't repeat old advice. More detail would be useful, for example you began with your first post but then it was your third post were you finally mentioned 5-15 frames on landing, which is quite different and I can sympathise with.

Regarding the DCS 2.0 development priority, the community has been voicing their opinions for a very long time on it's importance, you are late to the party on that one.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

If you are looking for help please link the topics you have tried (there are dozens) so the community doesn't repeat old advice. More detail would be useful, for example you began with your first post but then it was your third post were you finally mentioned 5-15 frames on landing, which is quite different and I can sympathise with.

Regarding the DCS 2.0 development priority, the community has been voicing their opinions for a very long time on it's importance, you are late to the party on that one.

well I wouldn't of made a topic if I wasn't looking for help...and ive looked about 12 pages back and didnt find anything ,search didnt do anything either.that really Relivent since this is a newer card and I only have a Single screen...

It is not...

Overheating

Old Drivers

Bad GPU/CPU settings

Overclocking is not Enabled.

Single Monitor )1080x1024)

Too many Tasks(programs) running in background

viruses or malware

SLI

And no I am not late to the party for 2.0 :P however I do belive that it will be a disappointing party to say the least.

and so far it seems like what acouple members said earlier in the post that DCS is just too outdated for new hardware that uses DX10/11 since this even has the same result on another machine with the same card,and the card isnt bad either since modern games have 0 issues.

Edited by Soulres

What GPU load are you getting? As others gave said DCS is usually cpu limited so an overclock may help you if the GPU isnt reaching 100%

Hopefully DX11 Support will give a much needed boost to those using AMD hardware!

When DCS 2.0 is out, DX12 will be a handful of month down the line and DX11 will be considered as old API by AMD. So unfortunately I don't think there is any chance to see AMD cards performing as they should in DCS in the near future. Just my guess though...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What GPU load are you getting? As others gave said DCS is usually cpu limited so an overclock may help you if the GPU isnt reaching 100%

Hopefully DX11 Support will give a much needed boost to those using AMD hardware!

While running lowest settings got 30-50 fps while taking off. GPU was using 49% Processor 3 cores were using 40-60% 1 using 10-20% then the other 2 were 1-10%

doesn't seem to use much resources although the GPU did heat up significantly quick compared to other high end games such as BF4 or Assassins Creed:Unity. went from 31'C to 62 in under a minute which was abnormal (i constantly watch Temps im ocd about them)

but the strange thing is only for lowest settings only 30-50 fps? on a card that can run GTA IV on Very high settings at 50FPS average...you gotta big joking me

Edited by Soulres

when you check your FPS, do you always check in a specific mission? I ask because some missions do that to me. No sure if there is to many scripts running or to many ground object.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

when you check your FPS, do you always check in a specific mission? I ask because some missions do that to me. No sure if there is to many scripts running or to many ground object.

Custom Mission just sitting in Su27 or Su25 starting on the ramp no enemy units or objects just my plane. No mods or custom anything installed.

Not sure what is causing your problems. I had to keep playing with settings until I found what work for me. I got an average of 40 FPS ( expect on some missions as stated above)

My settings (could not get a prints screen)

Texture = high

Scene = Hight

Civilian traffic = off

Water = Low

Visib range = High

Heat blur = off

Shadows = low

Resolution = 1920x1080

Aspect = 1.7777777777778 ( not sure why that long number for aspect)

Screen= One

Re of cockpit displays = 510

MSAA = x4

HDR = normal

Clutter/bushes = 50

trees= 5432

preload radius= 250000 ( I change it in the config file, there is a thread on how to do it, I can't find it)

I disable Aero interface ( this had the greatest effect, as high as 20 FPS in some occasions)

and full screen, all others are off.

Not sure if this may help

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=107551&highlight=R9+270

It could also be related to your specific card

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129155&highlight=R9+270

To whom it may concern,

Not sure what is causing your problems. I had to keep playing with settings until I found what work for me. I got an average of 40 FPS ( expect on some missions as stated above)

My settings (could not get a prints screen)

Texture = high

Scene = Hight

Civilian traffic = off

Water = Low

Visib range = High

Heat blur = off

Shadows = low

Resolution = 1920x1080

Aspect = 1.7777777777778 ( not sure why that long number for aspect)

Screen= One

Re of cockpit displays = 510

MSAA = x4

HDR = normal

Clutter/bushes = 50

trees= 5432

preload radius= 250000 ( I change it in the config file, there is a thread on how to do it, I can't find it)

I disable Aero interface ( this had the greatest effect, as high as 20 FPS in some occasions)

and full screen, all others are off.

Not sure if this may help

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=107551&highlight=R9+270

It could also be related to your specific card

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129155&highlight=R9+270

Texture = low

Scene = low

Civilian traffic = off

Water = Low

Visib range = low

Heat blur = off

Shadows = low

Resolution = 1024x1080

Aspect = 1.33333333

Screen= One

Re of cockpit displays = 256

MSAA = off

HDR = off

Aero = OFF.

30fps looking around on tarmac, 15fps taking off/landing, 20-30 looking torwords land while in the air, 40-50 flying over openwater looking out to sea.

Mind you I have a better graphics card and processor, and even same Ram you aswell the ASUS R9 270X... and ive run higher end games with no issues...

Edited by Soulres

You might not want to hear this but your AMD FX6300 is the bottleneck, i run a standard R9 270 (non X version) with an i5 4670k CPU setup and i get easily twice the FPS you're getting, heck i even use 8192x8192 custom terrain textures and a heavily edited High.lua and i get FPS typically in the 40-60 FPS range sometimes higher.

You might not want to hear this but your AMD FX6300 is the bottleneck, i run a standard R9 270 (non X version) with an i5 4670k CPU setup and i get easily twice the FPS you're getting, heck i even use 8192x8192 custom terrain textures and a heavily edited High.lua and i get FPS typically in the 40-60 FPS range sometimes higher.

ide like to disagree cause a Intel Core 2 Duo with 2.99ghz was giving 20-40 fps on high settings. and since that processor barely handled lowest settings on modern games. where as the FX 5300 gives 60 sometimes 80 fps more than that...its not the processor sadly.

considering the i5 4670k is a Higher end,much more pricey of course its going to be better,however just because I dont spend 250$ on a processor doesnt mean I cannot play games above 10fps...

If I need to needlessly need to invest 300$ in just a proessor just to play a DCS with 30fps there is something being done wrong that is exclusive to this game..

If I can play the latest GTA 5 game on Very High settings at 50 average fps. I should be able to play DCS at a Solid 80FPS! I get 40FPS when I just sit and look at Empty airports when there are 0 units in teh map and scenes turned off and running it as if I had a MAC laptop from the 90s, something seriously is wrong here and its not the hardware I purchased since other companys are not having the same issues, and seeing the amount of complaints about FPS drops, I certainly not the only one wanting a fix for this and im certainly not the first or last...

Edited by Soulres

All those new games you play, are they made for Consoles (PS4, Xbox one) and then ported for computers?

Are they more demanding on CPU or GPU?

Have tried any of the stuff mention in other post/thread like re installing DX9, etc.?

If Mustang has the same GPU as you ( or close to) and gets better FPS, why would you not believe is the CPU?

Does any one ells has a similar CPU as you?

Of course DCS engine is very old ( when compared to other computer sims/games) and it there are so many hardware/ software configurations. There are many problems and many people have different experiences. Hopefully we can help you at least get better results by adjusting some settings. Have you ever over clock your CPU/ GPU? Not recommended if you never done it since you can damage your hard ware.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

As you can see the FX-6300 has worst performance in many task when compare even to my i3 4340

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/354/AMD_FX-Series_FX-6300_vs_Intel_Core_i3_i3-4340.html

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-4340-vs-AMD-FX-6300

Specialty when you look at single core performance which AFAIK, DCS is a single core application.

To whom it may concern,