Unparking cpu cores

No. DCS is single threaded.

I suspect in DCS 2.0, the answer will be no as well, even though it will be multi threaded.

Core parking is a power saving feature, and running anything as intensive as a game is sure to make the system run at full power and unpark all cores automatically.

It is extremely unlikely that manual control over core parking would do much good. That said I will not rule out there being some combination of hardware or legacy software that doesn't take kindly to core parking, and in those very specific situations, disabling it could help. I would need benchmark backed evidence of such a thing to believe it though. I've seen too many fools online to trust anecdotes.

Edited by Socket7

Practice makes perfect.

No. DCS is single threaded.

I suspect in DCS 2.0, the answer will be no as well, even though it will be multi threaded.

Core parking is a power saving feature, and running anything as intensive as a game is sure to make the system run at full power and unpark all cores automatically.

It is extremely unlikely that manual control over core parking would do much good. That said I will not rule out there being some combination of hardware that doesn't take kindly to core parking, and in those very specific situations, disabling it could help. I would need benchmark backed evidence of such a thing to believe it though. I've seen too many fools online to trust anecdotes.

From what has been stated 2.0 will only have two threads on the processor just like the current engine. Sli/crossfire is stated to have better support with new engine. So brute power or high overclock on processor is more important than having a 4 core or 8 core processor with current dcs world and from what it looks like will be the same in dcs 2.0

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Disable C1E abd C6 Power States in the BIOS and cores will not park or throttle down.

Has nothing to do with windows or applications.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

From my sig (below), you can see that I have two GFX cards in SLI. My CPU is overclocked and very stable. Yet, in many cases such as online at Sochi with lots of activity, my FPS gets down into the low 20s and, occasionally, in the low single digits. Away from the hustle and bustle, my FPS goes up to the high 60s or more.

From what I can tell, much of the work that needs doing does not involve graphics rendering but code processing such as trajectories, object collisions, and the like. From what I have heard about nVidia's CUDA, my graphics cards can do wonders to help out the seriously overworked CPU cores. And, from what I have heard, DCS currently operates on just a single core. Am I to understand that 2.0 will still be using one core?

Is there any way I can improve my Sochi FPS without lowering my features such as water and heat blur?

If DCS is currently giving me 20 FPS around a busy Sochi, what FPS can I expect out of 2.0 around the same busy Sochi?

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Disable C1E abd C6 Power States in the BIOS and cores will not park or throttle down.

Has nothing to do with windows or applications.

good advice, but doing that to an Intel reference Z77 chipset board will cause non boot... such a finicky chipset it is

best to disable the function in the registry, taking great care to get it right (that way, if the throttling is required it is still there, but the processor will always have all cores functioning instead of just acting as one expanding CPU)

research, read, re-read, backup, and then do it.. as a general advice for any who would consider the option

and it does make a difference

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

and it does make a difference

I would really honestly love to see proof of this. Because I've never seen benchmarks proving this, and I'd love to see them. (no snark or sarcasm!)

I've only seen unscientific anecdotes that I really cannot trust.

Practice makes perfect.

Having all cores operating full power for gaming works as when cores spool down, idle or park (turn off) it causes issues when a thread is moved from on core to another or when one thread of another application is running on a throttled core etc.

I disabled all the power saving features in my bios fine, if I know Im leaving my Pc for a few hours I hit a hotkey that downclocks the CPU via AMDs software, when I come back stock clocks can be restored easily, as well as my 5.15GHz overclock profile.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs