Two point landing made easy

atsmith6

I've been trying to make a safe two point landing for ages now and every time I touch down at around 130 and the tiniest amount of vertical velocity the wheels touch, the tail goes down and I balloon. It's been very frustrating. Then tonight, while trying for what feels like the thousandth time I tried something different on a whim.

I approached in landing configuration at 2400 RPM, 30 manifold, full flaps, gear down and 150 knots. Then, on final approach I pushed the RPM to 2800 and trimmed a bit nose heavy and using manifold to control my descent. Everything else stayed the same as before. Over the threshold I'm holding 130 knots and do a soft touchdown and guess what? No crazy super duper suicidal ballooning!

I tried it again, and again a relatively easy touchdown into two point attitude and with some forward pressure and gentle rudder applied after touchdown I could continue this two point roll all the way down the runway. Gently reduce the throttle and maintain forward pressure until the tail comes down, then pull full back stick to start breaking, and the two point landing becomes almost as easy as the three point.

I'm sure someone has covered this before and I just haven't seen it, but I'm so thrilled at figuring it out I just thought I'd share so anyone else banging their head against the wall doesn't have to struggle too.

Happy flying!

• Like 2

I can't say for certain, but I think it's probably the forward trim that is mostly responsible here. Basically when you land the momentum of your vertical velocity downwards is is acting on the centre of gravity behind the main gear and forcing the tail down (basically the wheels stop descending but the rest of the plane keeps going), you then use forward stick to counter the tail dropping. I suspect that the forward trim is just making that easier for you.

I could well be wrong though.

I used to think exactly the same thing. But try it. With the RPM all the way up and manifold pressure rather low, you can do it even with even trim. I had no idea that RPM could have such a huge effect. I'm going to guess that it might be the added gyroscopic effect of the faster prop creating more resistance to the rotation along the lateral axis? Just a guess...

Tried it out, works perfectly. Nicely done.:beer:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Thanks for sharing. I'll give it a go tonight! Cheers!

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

The trick is to let go of the bad habits learned from other / older sims. Or in other words stop pulling back on the stick when you touch down. Instead you should do the opposite - center it. For 130 kts it may be a bit too much, but as you pointed touchdown at 140-150 kts definitely helps. With practice 130kts touch down on two wheels is a no brainier.

If you do encounter ballooning, either go around immediately or again, center the stick and let the plane settle down on its own. The biggest problem for me was knowing where the ground is. Once I knew what to expect and got the feeling of the ground below me - even ham fisting it on the runway with two wheels is possible. :)

A video I made some time ago:

I'm sure someone has covered this before and I just haven't seen it, but I'm so thrilled at figuring it out I just thought I'd share so anyone else banging their head against the wall doesn't have to struggle too.

Sure enough, there is a whole thread about it here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=130956

Has anyone tried two pointers with a TF-51D? They are a lot easier. ;)

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

Funny thing is for me it's got nothing to do with *bad habits* from other sims. I've been doing 3 pointers; which had been the prescribed method for the Mustang by ED.

And .. I've never been able to get a 2 pointer to work in the Mustang .. tried again last night but still an epic fail. Probably too tired, so I'll devote my practice tonight to perfecting this considering it's been done on a regular basis it seems.

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

Funny thing is for me it's got nothing to do with *bad habits* from other sims. I've been doing 3 pointers; which had been the prescribed method for the Mustang by ED.

And .. I've never been able to get a 2 pointer to work in the Mustang .. tried again last night but still an epic fail. Probably too tired, so I'll devote my practice tonight to perfecting this considering it's been done on a regular basis it seems.

I find it's best if you keep your speed a little higher and gently "push" your gear onto the tarmac in the last couple of feet and then keep "pushing" as you roll.

• Like 1

I was speaking from my own experience. I used to do only two pointers in all other sims. Only after trying out ED I began doing 3 point landings.

The thread I linked earlier shows just that, what was possible to do in one sim, isn't necessary possible in another. Ergo - bad habits and need to adapt.

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

Nice if you get to achieve it!!

IMHO at first you didn't make it because 130 is too fast. For a two wheels landing I perform a usual three wheels landing but at last moment just free a bit pull to allow main gear to touch first. I don't know airspeed at that moment but may be, 100? That's the best way I found. Anyway I prefer three wheels landings, she is less prone to get wild :) .

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice