Black Cockpit for Sabre

jocko417

Ok, finished it (as much as I can...). Known issue - for some reason I can't change the colour of the left and right forward panels from grey to matte black, nothing I've tried works. Everything else is ok, but we'll have to live with certain panels remaining grey. Only thing I can think of is Belsimtek has something in the code that prevents certain textures from being changed, like instrument faces and needles, etc...

UPDATE: Solved by putting everything into cockpit folder in MODS folder tree of DCS World, vs. Core Mods, like where Liveries go.

This may be the only way to get everything to show in game properly, so I could release it as a stand-alone cockpit mod like SkullLeader's excellent P-51D cockpit textures. Would be an all or nothing mod, not just assigned by livery.

See Internal pics below for latest version. Couple of little additions left for me to do.

External view:

dcs%202015-05-24%2013-06-44-73_zpswptmgaei.jpg~original

dcs%202015-05-24%2013-07-35-03_zpsithyjz2n.jpg~original

New loop antenna texture added... based on:

loop_zpsexeituu9.jpg~original

Black cockpit will be included in all future Canadair Sabre Mk.2 and Mk.4 skins. Mk.5 and Mk.6 used the grey cockpit.

Internals, updated as of May 31:

Black2_zpsze9idejv.jpg~original

Black1_zpskcteqf28.jpg~original

Black3_zpslbsqrvgg.jpg~original

Black4_zpsso3m1hsh.jpg~original

Black5_zpse0pkbf0l.jpg~original

Edited by jocko417

Yup.

In the mean time... First three RAF Sabres available for download. If you are up for the challenge you can unzip the default F-86 cockpit textures in the Mods tree of DCS World (it's stored as a zipped folder). I don't know the full tree by heart but you'll find it. ;)

This will give you a folder containing the cockpit textures in the same location as the zipped folder. Keep the zipped version there as a backup. If anything screws up just delete the unzipped folder and you'll have the default cockpit ready for you again.

Next: Copy all the files from the RAF Sabre liveries that have "Black" in the title, put them into a temporary folder. Rename them to match the default names, and then you can copy/paste them into the default folder (overwrite).

This will give you the full black cockpit. This black cockpit will be the new default for any livery, so if you want the grey one back simply delete the unzipped cockpit texture folder.

Let me know if you have any questions :)

Looks great and better than the default grey cockpit. I assume that the cockpit can be used with JFGME so can be easily turn on or off?

All does the cockpit have the extra MIPmaps to get rids of the flickering white text?

Gary

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

Excellent skins Jocko! But there are still two gray panels in the cockpit with the new RAF skins..is it still suppossed to be so or are the full black pits still wip?

Still WIP. See my post above for temp fix :)

I am really looking forward to this mod but concerned that it won't work well on my system. For me the default cockpit has issues where the white lettering shimmers and flickers and it drives me crazy. I have fixed it with the MIPmap mod and so all is well at the moment.

I hope this cockpit will not have the same problem and will already come with the extra MIPmaps.

Has anyone who had the text shimmering issues with the default textures tried these new textures and can you report back whether the same problem exists with this mod?

Gary

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Jocks, roger I tried them last night and can confirm no shimmering!! I created a mod in JSGME that makes it easy to turn on/off the black cockpit and it works really well without the need to overwrite the default textures.

One thing I have noticed is that the textures go very bright grey when they are lit at night. Reducing the brightness of the panel corrects the problem.

I realise that these are still WIP but they are great additions to the F-86 and I have made the 92 Sqn F-86 with black cockpit has become my default livery for the single player missions.

Thanks for a great mod!

Gary

Edited by Jacks

Jocko, absolutely, I will post some tonight.

Gary

Jocko,

PSB for some screenshots. The first one is what the cockpit looks like when air starting at night so at default instrument panel brightness. The second one is with all instrument panel light controls turned to max

Also I have noticed that with the way that I have installed it (JSGME overwrites the original default cockpit textures with your once selected) the ADF panel does not work correctly. It will no longer turn to loop and the radio compass needle remains fix when your select comp. I have the same issue on the weather cockpit mod. Any ideas??

Gary

Screen_150605_004903.thumb.jpg.1bfb3ebbd944f32831d52d9f8f62d87a.jpg

Screen_150605_004933.thumb.jpg.7e4e7c7a4f26d6f31684b7adbc023967.jpg

FYI, got some flak off the wife when see looked at my ipad and saw the tab for this thread as it was missing the pit off of cockpit in the thread title! She was concerned about what I was looking at!