Install Size

I have never had problems with DCS World till now. Fitted a new SSD drive into my computer and reinstalled DCS World into it along with the only Module that I have A10-C from my original files which was all downloaded back in 2012. And everything was working.

Now I have tried for two days to update it with a ridiculously slow download speed, 0.8MB which took ages, my first failed and found DCS World would not run anymore. So reinstalled it all, got it going again, updated it which was succesful acording to the menu.....but it will no longer run anymore.

So I thought I would download the DCS World files again from scratch with the most up to date version. But before I did I. I was shocked when I checked my monthly download allocation to discover in the past two days trying to update DCS World has downloaded over 14GBs of data and put me way over my monthly allocation which I now have to pay for. When I look at what has been downloaded, its full of zip files for all the modules which I do not even use so completley unnecessary and just wasted my allocation.

Now when I check the file sizes for DCS World, its over 9GB big, which means if I download the files in June, already I will have used a quarter of my allocation for next month. When I check my original files from 2012, DCS World was only about 6GB.

To me it seems to me that DCS World has out grown itself in the way it is distributed and updated, I cannot even see a way of saving updates, and time to call a day on it now and totally regret buying the F-86 module yesterday which I may never use now.

l

I don't think DCS has out grown itself, maybe it has out grown your monthly download allowance; did you know that GTA V is a 60Gb download!? Bigger downloads, faster broadband (more memory, faster graphics cards, processors, SSD's, the list goes on), it's all the future and unfortunately we all need to keep up.

Edit: Just had a look at my most recent purchases on Steam and to be honest they are all over 9Gb (Thief (24Gb), GTA V (62Gb), Skyrim (13Gb), Dragon Age (16Gb) and Metro: Last Light (10Gb)).

Edited by Tone71

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

Nothing wrong with my ISP / internet connection, all my downloads/updates for other programs are very fast, DCS updater starts fast 400+mb/s like all other downloads but within seconds drops to 0.8mb. This problem I see is also reported in another thread that I have found today.

If the issue is download speed, have you tried a different mirror, or even the Torrent?

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

When it comes to an update, I get no options other than the program updating itself. I did see a link to a torrent yesterday that flashed up briefly, but where it was, and how I got to it I don't know.

Found the torrent again, but I'm in no position to download it at the moment as it will cost me even more per GB I download, will have to wait for another 9 days till my new allowance starts. It would not be so bad if all the updates from 2012 had been in EXE or Zip files so I could install them again as I was updated to the previous version of the latest one so the update would not be so large.

But if I recall its only updates that seem to get throttled to 0.7mb, the normal files download fast as I tried one last month.

Just confirmed it, 438mbs/sec they download , but cancelled it quick as it was costing me money.

Edited by zacklaws

For these kind of download limits I would suggest find a friend somewhere in the nearest townhall and do some "offline" transport of downloaded data.

10 Gb nowdays are only for normal internet browsing / youtubing... stuff like that.

Last terrain package from X-Plane weights 100 Gb :D

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

10GB is a really tiny limit. Are you getting your internet through a cell phone or some other mobile device? If so, you may want to consider getting a proper land line based ISP through cable or phone. In any case, my current DCS install is 20.6GB total, I have all the non-WW2 and non-trainer modules. A typical update for DCS is about 1GB I find but that's assuming it is kept up to date. If you're doing an old school DVD install from a disk you bought 3-4 years ago, then it's likely replacing nearly every file in DCS, hence it might actually be more than simply downloading the latest client from scratch. If you can't get around your data caps for whatever reason, go to the nearest public wifi hotspot and download the full installer on whatever device you have and then transfer it to your gaming machine. You'll still have to do an update, but it shouldn't be more than a GB or two. You will also need to install the A-10C from the module manager, but that is under 1GB.

My monthly allowance is 36GB and it is a proper landline based ISP. Just checked and the complete update was just over 11GB so it must have replaced everything, along with the failed one from the day before took me way over my limit. Shall have to look out for one of these WiFi hotspots and take my tablet or looking paying more for a bigger allowance , but times are hard now that I have just retired which does not help, lots of playtime, but no DCS to play on. In fact I still have it on my old hard drive which is a slave drive so it probably will still play....or is it possible to clone it onto the SSD, or is there a folder with all past updates downloaded and saved which would solve the problem.

Just copied my old DCS World installation over onto my new SSD drive, it cost me an activation, its updated to Dec 2014 and seems to work perfect.

Edited by zacklaws