[REQ] Polish Air Force Gold MiG-21

myszak

Getting started.

I can't use the artwork i found so far. So I must trace over everything in Photoshop. It would be allright for skins in Il-2 sturmovik, but the DCS MiG-21 uses far more larger and more detailed textures. So something low-res as this example would look horrible on the Leatherneck MiG-21.

Schermafdruk%202015-06-25%2021_zpsanwzjhe0.jpg

Nice work so far. May I ask how you trace over the emblems? It turned out great in this example.

I used a few available photographs which some helpfull forum members pointed out earlier in this thread (see page 1 and 2) And I used a rather low-res example of the same emblem I found on the internet. The anchor inside the polish airforce roundel/square was the hardest part, because none of the photo's showed its exact shape or outline. It turned out that the points of the anchor are actually lion's heads. It is a rather strange but also beautiful symbology. Especially because the town of Łask is 100's of kilometers away from any coastline. I used and adapted the coat of arms of the polish town Łask for that.

I used the 'pen' tool in photoshop extensively as you can see in the screenshot. All in all, there are about a dozen layers. The emblem I used for tracing wasn't a 100% match for the emblem that is used on the MiG-21. But the changes were easy to make. In the end, I adjusted the size to about 25 to 30% for final placement. The seadragon emblem is a bit more detailed then the one on the real MiG, since I suspect they painted it by hand or something. But it looks awesome :)

In the case of the eagle, I did it mostly by hand. The 'pen' tool isn't really helpfull there.

Seadragon2_zpsknqtcmgm.jpg

Edited by 1.JaVA_Platypus

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

I found this webpage:

http://archeolask.pl/cms/index.php/zoty-q9107q

From the pictures it seems that this particular aircraft has undergone some kind of restoration. I want to make the livery in the most original version. So I'll use the cool 'stencil' font.

Just to be on the safe side, promise You will show us the template before release, so we can spell-check what You've written on "our" MiG (two typos above already, must've been a good beer :D ).

Does this make any sense?:

przy laczeniu i rozłączaniu kadluba krawedz natarcia stabilizatora opuscic w dol

A couple of diacritics specific for Polish alphabet missing here and there - should be "Przy łączeniu i rozłączaniu kadłuba krawędź natarcia stabilizatora opuścić w dół", which means "During connecting and disconnecting of the (rear) fuselage, keep the leading edge of the (horizontal) stabilizer low", but that's OK, since I don't believe many players will zoom in to read service stencils on the airframe :D. Not many skin makers bother with recreating these! Which means You're crazy ;).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I am recreating these stencils from photographic evidence. I use the font "elefant" for it. It seems pretty close. But some unique Polish characters are not present in this font. So I have to add the accents manually by paintbrush. Most of the stencils will be barely readable so I think this is a valid solution. But really, I appreciate all the input. If more walk-around photos are available from Polish MiG-21's, I would like to see it. :)

Nie jestem szalony, moja matka mnie zbadał :megalol:

Dr-Sheldon-Cooper-Quotes-and-more-30.jpg

Edited by 1.JaVA_Platypus

I need a bit of help on the next text. It is on the forward speedbrakes. Google translate can't seem to find the proper spelling for the word: "zabezpieceyć" in the sentence. This is what I found so far: podczas pracy we wnękach klap hamulcowych otworzyć zawór cyrkulacji i zabezpieceyć klapę przed zamknięcien

Is it correct spelling?

help_zpsc92pj1jc.jpg

Almost ;). It's "zabezpieczyć" (which in technical context means secure/lock/fasten etc.) and "zamknięciem". So the stencil says that during any service work in the air brake bays one should open the circulation valve and lock the brake flap so it doesn't close by accident.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Yeah I did ask for it. :music_whistling::lol:

The pictures I found on Ebay shows the MiG-21PFM and BIS, but not the MF version. I don't know the exact differences between those three versions, (except different arrangements in the Pitot tube and the AOA sensor) But if you examine the stencils, there are differences as well. The MF looks like the BIS, so I'll use that as a guide and check photographs a lot.

Well, You asked for it, You stencil pervert :D :D :D. No turning back now!

Well, the thing is that the stencils are really pronounced. The red and blue colors are very visible on the MiG-21. So I think it is part of the artwork. And I found some very helpfull schematics on the web, so it would be very lazy for me NOT to add the polish stencils. :pilotfly:

• 2 weeks later...

It won't cope with terms which are too technical; declination of the second noun doesn't help either I'd guess. "Zlew" means sink/drain, while "odstój" is sediment, or any deposit left at the bottom of a fluid tank.

You showed only a part of the drawing, but I presume the stencil is written somewhere below the main fuel tank. So it's probably the drain point for this tank - every plane has a couple of these to deal with water or any other contamination of the fuel.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Anybody knows what the text in the red circle is? Google translate can't cope with it.

What%20is%20this%20text_zpscywopj5i.jpg

It says "ZLEW ODSTOJU". At least that's my best guess, since it's quite blurry. And yeah, it means "sediment sink" just like Art-J explained few posts above.

Anyway, your progress is great so far, i'm looking forward to fly that beauty.