FIghting for control.

i bought the ka50 a while back and only recently started playing and i really like it it, only i have a problem with the helicopter it keeps moving to a random position when im trying to lock uop targets. i thought it was a problem with my turn to target or trim but im not sure anymore ( not having trouble with it when im going into auto hover just when im getting ready to launch)

Edited by wouter038

I found out more people are having problems like this, i couldnt fine any people with similair problems but i did i just have to trim better. Also for anyone else having the prblems its most likely the nav interfering and causing slight yaw movements that have more effect on the shlavk since its pointed out in the distance.

Edited by wouter038
most likely found the problem.

Can you tell us how you trim the black shark? Do you press and hold the trimmer while maneuvering or do you click the trimmer button once in the new position?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Try to fly with FD on (the rightest of the blue AP buttons). If problems disappear then you are not trimming correctly.

Trimming the ka50 is the kind of thing that needs a military instructor besides you giving explanations, advices and corrections to learn to do it correctly. I guess people here just learned what works best for themselves through try and error and reading the many many advices (often contradictory) and explanations about the autopilot and how to trim on the forums.

Hold down the trim button as you find a new position, this will override the AP inputs and allow you to smoothly change direction without having to combat the 20%' input of the AP. If you press the blue FD button it means actually FD Override, which disable's the AP's control. It will still smooth the inputs on the selected channels.

This is the best article I've found that describes the sharks autopilots functions.

http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_429a.html

If you do not have a FFB joystick, I would suggest using the controller input position cheat (Rctrl Ent). In choppers this is critical as you cannot feel the position of the real joystick and rudders. This will help in knowing your trim position at all times.

Also; you have to think of the KA-50's APs as a rudimentary but extremely affective auto pilot system that will, once the trim is set, attempt to achieve the trimmed state in an efficient and mechanical manner. If you are trimmed for a 240Km forward level flight and you instantaneously trim for hover then the result will be an extremely violent change of attitude that may result in the loss of the aircraft.

This is why most prefer and use the press and hold way of trimming.

There was also a bug where the chopper would just turn (yaw) in any old direction whilst attempting to engage locked targets using the turn to target function.

I have not seen this bug for some time though, could this be what you see?

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Try using at least three AP channels, bank, pitch and heading and when you have the aircraft trimmed, press and hold the trimmer, get into the new state you want the aircraft to be in and release the trimmer and reset your cyclic stick.

As previously mentioned, use CRTL-ENTER to see where your virtual joystick is located.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Hold down the trim button as you find a new position, this will override the AP inputs and allow you to smoothly change direction without having to combat the 20%' input of the AP. If you press the blue FD button it means actually FD Override, which disable's the AP's control. It will still smooth the inputs on the selected channels.

This is the best article I've found that describes the sharks autopilots functions.

http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_429a.html

Just to reinforce this, the SimHq articles on the Ka-50 autopilot are basically essential reading.

If you haven't read them, I strongly urge you to do so.

Flying seems fine no its just my shvakl that keeps moving around randomly. it just moves to one side without responding to input, whenever its messing around my auto turn to target doesnt work at all either.Any idea what the problem is.

wouter038 be aware, some say the KA-50 is a computer driven machine that requires simple control and direction from the pilot... it is bland and boring.

Others describe the KA-50 as the most agile machine ever to grace the helicopter world and nothing.... nothing.... will come close.

it is not rocket science to work out why these differences in opinion exist.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Flying seems fine no its just my shvakl that keeps moving around randomly. it just moves to one side without responding to input, whenever its messing around my auto turn to target doesnt work at all either.Any idea what the problem is.

The Skhval sometimes goes wild. I don't know what causes it. Sometimes cage / uncage works. It usually fixes itself after some time. I suspect high aspect angles responsible but I can't tell for sure.