Why Teamspeak and not Ventrillo?

Just asking, because...

From what I hear Ventrillo offers a higher quality of voice output, for less bandwidth used. Supposedly, less audio delay as well?

Im not an expert with either app, but I keep hearing how Ventrillo is supposedly better, and I see everyone associated with lockon using TS.

Is Ventrillo better, and is everyone just used to TS?

Anyway, what do you guys think..

:pilotfly:

sig-YF19a.jpg

I think Ventrilo is payware, and/or free versions have limitations on usage. Plus they have come out with at least 2 versions incompatible with the previous. Having used both extensively- I found no difference in sound quality. Anytime you have users from all over the world with varying connections, there will be people talking at the same time, etc. Dante, for example couldn't be any farther away from me if he tried- and he sounds like he's in the same room on TS.

We (as a squad) used (well still use) Ventrilo for more then 2 years now and the dam program is amazing. For me personaly it's much better then teamspeak; as Ruggbutt said highest quality codes have better quality then the best codecs on teamspeak but you have more limitations. For the lower bandwith I think it actually takes more of your connection (compared to TS) but the difference is minimal and on today's connections it's pretty unnoticable. Ventrilo is designed more for commerical purposes that is why it has loads of limitations (read: makes you pay to have it fully functional lol). Regarding prices you can find 50 users dedicated ventrilo server for 120 $ a year.

I stick with TS cause I haven't reinstalled Win2K in forever, and the WinInstaller went dead on me so Ventrillo can't even stick to the harddrive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Real men fly ground attack :pilotfly: where EVERYTHING wants a piece of you :D

I see, didnt know vent was payware of sorts. I dont see why there should be a recurring payment when you are hosting your own app for more than 8 clients.

Or am I wrong?

if you host your own app, is it free for more?

Either way, TS is just fine, although the delays are a bit nanoying sometimes.

sig-YF19a.jpg

We use TS because it´s easy (and free) to host and administrate and because we don´t need no high codec / good quality.

In fact we are experimenting a lot with sound alteration applications in order to create a "real" aircraft-radio-chatter-atmosphere. So we are interested in "bad" quality, frequency-bands being cut out, background carrier-wave noise and PTT clicks.

Adds soooooo much to the atmosphere to have bad radio...!:pilotfly:

"For aviators like us, the sky is not the limit - it's our home!"

Guest Hell Sqn Protos

S~!

You can get the same codecs for TS as you can for Ventrilo and they sound identical. The max codec I have on our TS Dedicated Server is 29.9 which is amazing. You can go even higher, but I dont see the point.

For online play, our 'Combat' channels are 14.4 becaue they have the lowest latency/bandwidth usage. Sound quality is excellent.

*PS for the above settings everyone should be ISDN or higher.

We use TS because it´s easy (and free) to host and administrate and because we don´t need no high codec / good quality.

In fact we are experimenting a lot with sound alteration applications in order to create a "real" aircraft-radio-chatter-atmosphere. So we are interested in "bad" quality, frequency-bands being cut out, background carrier-wave noise and PTT clicks.

Im just interested, How are you doing this?

I've been looking for a good & easy way of creating realistic radio comm sounds !

Would be awesome if you had figured out a good way and is willing to share the info :D

The community newbie

http://winsbydefault.com/pics/dctf1ibxh7.gif

Replace this image! It's too big! © Administration

(max size: 150pix height, 50kb)

Sounds interesting Woodstock. Are you going to use a filter or something? I followed a thread on fighterops for a while looking at implementing this. I think XSI have plans to implement interference on comms audio (would be sweet it was dynamic based on weather conditions etc).

It definitely would add to the immersion level to have non-crystal clear audio whilst in game.

Very true... Actualy I'm in charge (I put my self) in doing radio clutter on our (D13th) TS server :megalol: We fly most of the time with some of LeOsK squadron and when the action Kicks in the hell is braking loose. Finish, English, Romanian almost all at once... And if you add the Radio Commands of the AI... :D

Anyway, we tried "Ventrilo" also it hasn't better quality (INMHO) but big delays. If in TS you lost some packets you imidiately acnoledge and say: "repeat" (quite realistic I may add) in "Ventrilo" those packets are coming to you... oh yeah... 5 minutes later :D . So we drop Ventrilo quite rapidly and returned to our TS.

TS has two more advantages: Is free and a has realy nice Anouncer :smilewink: .

"player kicked!" :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

We use Ventrillo 18 Channels for Airwolves Squadrons, 189 channels total for Seawolves Virtual Navy, Seawolves Marine Corp, Seawolves Special Forces and Seawolves Tactical Assault team. Ventrillo is higher quality than Team Speak and works good even with a high ping. Teamspeak tends to clip the audio under certain conditions which is why I prefer ventrillo.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

I will not name the application I use to filter out high and low frequency bands from my mike sound input since I don´t own a license for that proggy...:cry:

But I´m happy to point you all to a nice tool called "TSNoise" which was created for and by the IVAO community.

This application underlies all incoming TS signals with a carrier-wave-like background noise and puts a mike-click at the end of each incoming transmission.

Very nice!

http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=103267

Enjoy!

"For aviators like us, the sky is not the limit - it's our home!"

My squad ran TS for WWIIOL and IL-2. We tried many other voice apps but we found TS easier to use yet offered a very nice set of features. We found no real discernable difference in voice quality between Teamspeak 2 and Ventrilo. The final nail in the coffin for us was that you need to rent a Ventrilo server from a hosting company if you want more than 8 player slots. I'm not adverse to paying for voice comms, I registered Roger Wilco years to donate to the development and would have done if that had been an option with Ventrilo but it seems to developer is only keen to do sales with larger hosting companies.