Open Conflict - Server Information

Mirknir

Great updates; thanks again for continuing to improve this awesome server and as well for hosting it! It's my go-to server, so I appreciate all the effort that has been going into it. :)

Semi-related: It seems that the SU-33 aircraft carrier spawns are bugged (and possibly other spawns) wherein the system won't detect if there is already a player / object currently in the original spawn zone which results in the player spawning accumulating a TK and subsequently getting kicked from the server for kamikaze (and in my case: both players, myself and Mozdok 1 were credited a TK + kick).

Thanks for the feedback and for flying Open Conflict Online!

Player Spawning Issue:

• I know about the issue but it's the DCS bug / missing feature.
  • DCS player spawning doesn't check if the spot is taken by another player that decided to park there for refuel / rearm
    It' a problem for aiports, FARP and carriers.
    Best solution is to evacuate the spot after you landed
  • For airports tho, I have limited control so I put player spawns as much as possible in hangars where I know people won't park to refuel/rearm.

Team hits and team collision

• Team collision hit and kills are the most difficult event to interpret (lag, spawn problems, noobish move, malicious intent...)
  • That's why I removed auto-perma-ban and the only automatic policing is kicking
  • I am still working on this as you will see in next release notes

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

In Map Version 3.8.4

Korean War CAPs

• Added F86 AI CAPs that will share the respawn with the WWII AI CAPs

Random Fixes

• Fix SA10 in Nalchik and Beslan to make sure they are firing
  • Remove random vehicle, remnant of a test
  • Decrease the delay after which a illegally launched nuke will be destroyed
  • Remove the IR SAM at blue Dusheti drone base so that red also have a sam-less objective to kill

Server Management

DCS Launcher

• Implemented a small windows application called DCS Launcher that should decrease downtime of the server
  • DCS Launcher starts DCS as a slave process and simulate all the clicks to start the server automatically
  • It monitors DCS's state and memory taken
  • It detects that DCS has crashed and automatically restarts the server
  • It detects that DCS has grown to take to much memory, kill it and restarts the server
  • Special thanks to Vyrtuoz for lending me Tacview's libraries to build my tool even faster!

SLMOD and Autokick

• Right now, I am happy with the changes I did to policing (kick is tempary ban and no more auto perma ban)
  • HOWEVER the autokicks happen sometimes a bit too fast in my opinion
  • For those who don't, slmod offender scoring is computed using stats and taking into account every offences and using a decay function so that the further back in time, the less the offence matters
  • Penalties from collision hits and kills are now decaying more quickly so it doesn't follow you during 30 days.
  • I am also adding more logs so I can gather data and better investigate when I see a weird autokick

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

AWACS Experiment

In Map Version 3.9.1

AWACS Experiment

• AWACS are now further from the conflict zone and their detection quality and range are weaker
  • For now, both team get the same AWACS at the same distance from the conflict zone area
  • The deeper you go in the conflict zone, the weaker your AWACS coverage is
  • This should increase helicopter and attackers stealth capability
  • This should also help the player defend against enemy roaming just outside their protected zone
  • As a side effect, the AWACS should spam less

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

Oh damn, my condolences. I don't suppose you have a spare one lying around?

Real shame, just stumbled upon this thread after playing on your server a few weeks ago. Had some good fun on there! :(

No more spare cards, only the onboard one remains, still too weak to even start DCS...

If only we had real dedicated server, video card wouldn't be needed :)

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

Hey guys

If you are having some FPS issue's in this server here are some few tips that would come in handy.

° Deacreasing water, Civ traffic, MSAA and terrain textures

°Deacreasing Clutter/Bushes and trees visibility

°Turn off VSync

°Increase Preload Radius

Hope it helps.

Server Broken

Hello Guys!

So... yea... the server computer is down and more specifically the video card is broken.

I tried to fix it but it's not working.

I tried to use the motherboard onboard video card but of course, it's not powerful enough to start DCS, even with the No3DRender, even with super low graphics...

The server hardware is indeed aging and the new DCS can be more demanding.

I wasn't really sure about that but here it is, I need help to keep this server online.

If you've liked playing on Open Conflict, you can now send donation to:

mirknir.tech at gmail.com

using the link:

btn_pponly_142x27.png

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/send-money-online

Don't forget to include your DCS ingame name so I can know who you are and maybe do some supporter features:)

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

I guess you did everything discribed here, but it doesn't hurt asking:

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Dedicated_Server

They state on low resolution and with no 3D Rendering all that's needed is a simple onboard chipset with basic DirectX 9 support, you said it still doesn't work?

That's all I can do for you know, sorry. :(

I mean, how much money are we talking? A basic graphics card just to run DCS without 3D rendering is really cheap, I'm talking below 50€.

Maybe even something like this ZOTAC GT610 would suffice:

http://www.amazon.de/ZOTAC-GeForce-Synergy-1024MB-PCI-E/dp/B0083Y1Z0Y/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1455644585&sr=1-4&keywords=geforce+gt+610

Just to get some perspective... I guess if ppl knew how much you were asking for they would be more willing to consider a donation.

I guess the biggest fear is donating but in the end not enough money is gathered, which seems more unlikely if we are looking at something below 50€.

You are not aiming for a Nvidia TitanX Black edition, are you? :D

Yep I did everything the website said and even more.

But a 'real' video card is still required because even if the 3DRender is off, DCS still does all the 3D loading and stuff.

I may have not been cleared about the donation so here is a clarification :)

I am working on fixing the server (with my own money) and it will be back up tonight or tomorrow.

I wanted to add donations because I don't have infinite money to maintain the hardware and maybe some people want to support the server this way.

As for the card, I had too many problems with failing fans so I am going for a fan-less low-end card but not too low-end because DCS :)

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/GT730SL2GD3BRK/

I will keep you all posted.

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

You have all my support Mirknir. I understand how much work it is to design, create and support a custom multiplayer map (and this regardless of the game) without forgetting about the dedicated hardware!

I’m glad the server is going to be back soon and hope to find some spare time to share some fun again on the last version of your map. I always enjoyed flying on your server because it is like an open world where you can do whatever inspire you. A good place to “relax” without planning complicated things…

My thoughts about DCS 1.5+: DCS 1.5 uses a brand new renderer and does not support DirectX 9 anymore. I think that the wiki is completely outdated. And my guess is that, in its current state, DCS 1.5 still loads everything in memory even if it does not actually render anything in “pseudo dedicated” server mode. This, plus the fact that on-board GPUs (especially Intel ones) are so badly supported for video games that their drivers are always crashing for one raison or another.

Let’s hope DCS 2.0 will offer at some point the long awaited real dedicated server mode, so no “real” graphic card will be necessary to run it anymore… which will lower the cost of "dedicated" servers...

Edited by Vyrtuoz
tacview-signature-512x128x24.png

Hey! :D

ED Support was nice and quick and got me a working account, for some reason my registration was denied over and over.

I love this server, I will totally donate next month, I'm broke from buying modules right now... :P

EDIT: I just patched to 1.5.3 and didn't find the server, I guess you are updating soon?

Edited by Anna

Hey! :D

ED Support was nice and quick and got me a working account, for some reason my registration was denied over and over.

I love this server, I will totally donate next month, I'm broke from buying modules right now... :P

EDIT: I just patched to 1.5.3 and didn't find the server, I guess you are updating soon?

Thanks Anna!

Yea, don't update too fast:)

I am waiting for the update to also be on steam before I update the server.

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

Thanks Anna!

Yea, don't update too fast:)

I am waiting for the update to also be on steam before I update the server.

Ok, I'm now in the process of downgrading again... :P

Download speed is bad right now, see you in over an hour... :(

EDIT: I can connect again! yay

Edited by Anna

F10 Map

Hello guys,

So I wanted to talk a bit about the F10 map to explain the incoming changes to the server:

Right Now

The server is setup as followed:

• F10 map set to 'Everything Visible'
  • Some units like player aircrafts are set as 'Hidden on F10'

Here are the pros:

• New player friendly
  • Player can see all the objective on the map
  • Player can easily spot moving objectives like convoys
  • Player can easily find and train against aircraft AIs
  • Player can really pinpoint the position of some difficult object to spot by sight

Here are the cons:

• Somehow, it's really costly in term of performances
  • Because it's so easy to see stuff, it can be addictive and hard to stop using it (like the labels were for me)
  • You can still sometimes put the camera on an 'invisible' enemy players when he is low in altitude or some other conditions hard to pinpoint
  • You can see missiles launched by an 'invisible' enemy players

Very Soon

Since the Fog of War experiment was a failure due to the feature working in mysterious ways, I am going to try something else:

F10 set to 'Allies Only'

• If you are blue, everything red will disappear from the map, and if blue, everything red
  • F10 map will not be anymore the best tool by far to find, navigate or spot an objective

Custom Radio Menu

• The custom radio menu has been back since some weeks now
  • It allows you to ask for very useful intel report such as objectives, intel like this:
    Dst: 401km | 249mi - HDG: 174° - HP: ■■■■■■■■■■ - Artillery Convoy
    Dst: 404km | 251mi - HDG: 172° - HP: ■■■■■■■■■■ - Ambrolauri Artillery Base

• A new picture has been added in the briefing to accentuate the feature even more
  • These information will help player navigate
  • 'Closest Objective' intel reports will feature more information like the remaining number and type of targets when the objective is almost cleared

Recon/spies Units

• Intel agencies will put boots on the ground and help players spot stuff
  • Recon soldier will use the most advanced tool in the military: smokes
  • Recon soldiers will be on the F10 map
    • It will be possible to have a general position of an objective on the map
    • It will be possible to place the camera on them and do some recon on your own

[*]Recon soldiers will be placed as followed:

• Around closed objectives such as base and outpost
    • In the middle of target clusters for spread-out objectives like area to sweep for bombs

I hope this will work and even maybe feel a bit more immersive.

Don't hesitate to post a reply or a PM if you have some feedback.

It's an experiment so let's see how it goes!

Ambrolauri.thumb.jpg.44f4dbbc4fb18fc06258924d32b67362.jpg

radiomenu.thumb.jpg.1c8dad305cd5af738e48c99c4372f210.jpg

2016-02-17_00065.thumb.jpg.bdb4ef05c73e3fd327b2d4516230e3bc.jpg

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

Intersting, looking forward to experimenting with those changes. I think I'll need to get even faster taking out SAMs then, otherwise I feel they will start logging even more kills... :P

BTW, I'm noticing the server getting more and more often maxed out in player count. Are more than 20 slots possible or would performance become too much of a concern?

Also, I wonder if there maybe should be 21 slots to account for the admin client, so that both teams have 10 players and not 9vs10(+Admin)?

Edited by Anna

BTW, I'm noticing the server getting more and more often maxed out in player count. Are more than 20 slots possible or would performance become too much of a concern?

Open Conflict has grown these past month and I would like to be able to offer more spots.

However, more slots would be too much for the current server computer.

That's part of why I opened the server to donations and depending on how it will go, I will get a more powerful server machine and/or give special access to contributors.

btn_donate_pp_142x27.png

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

I have a suggestion to experiment with:

Seeing the disadvantage of SARH vs ARH missles, datalink is a good balancing factor (for doing stealth attacks). To make datalink more useful without being too overpowered, have you ever thought about removing the flying AWACS and trying to set up ground based EW radar stations near the bases only?

That way, high flying players would still be detected far out, while flying low would be rewarded by dropping off radar more easily.

Not sure how it would work out though. Another, maybe simpler way to test this would be moving the AWACS closer but letting it fly very low.

Just a thought.

Edited by Anna

I have a suggestion to experiment with:

Seeing the disadvantage of SARH vs ARH missles, datalink is a good balancing factor (for doing stealth attacks). To make datalink more useful without being too overpowered, have you ever thought about removing the flying AWACS and trying to set up ground based EW radar stations near the bases only?

That way, high flying players would still be detected far out, while flying low would be rewarded by dropping off radar more easily.

Not sure how it would work out though. Another, maybe simpler way to test this would be moving the AWACS closer but letting it fly very low.

Just a thought.

Yea, nice suggestion. It was on my list but I failed to make it work when I did a quick test.

However, I found more infos so I might try to use the EWR again in place of AWACS

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

Do you use limited armaments via the supply system? Updates that change weapons generally will corrupt the warehouse file on missions with limited supplies. Missions that use unlimited settings generally do not see the problem.

If you do use limited munitions, set it to Unlimited for all bases, save it, then reset the limited values you want and do a final save.

Good luck!

Do you use limited armaments via the supply system? Updates that change weapons generally will corrupt the warehouse file on missions with limited supplies. Missions that use unlimited settings generally do not see the problem.

If you do use limited munitions, set it to Unlimited for all bases, save it, then reset the limited values you want and do a final save.

Good luck!

oh yea, I am not using warehouse anymore, too much problems.

Everything unlimited!

But I was not talking about the su27/33 bombs like I can't equip them but more like I can't drop just one anymore, both go on the same fire.

Also, I sometimes have an orphan drop sounds way after the drop happens.

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread