The F-15C (BVR) and the AMRAAM AIM-120C are not so bad in Lock-On

Lighten up on the new comer GG

"Let me start by telling you virtual jet-fighter pilots out there that I do not

consider myself to be an excellent or even a good virtual pilot although I

have been flying in the virtual sky’s in IL-2 and Lock-On for years switching

between them every few months, at best I could call myself an average

virtual pilot"

Maybe his mother told him it's not nice to have a big head.

"The whole 'frag-fest' and 'air-quake' is just an excuse to avoid learning the hard way"

He didn't say he wouldn't (or didn't) fly online - he actually said he does & will continue to fly online with the intention of improving - what more can you ask.

"The F-15C (BVR) and the AMRAAM AIM-120C are not so bad in LO" is a subjective statement & not so surprising from someone if they've read the threads here about how Pilotasso can dodge 100% of everything launched at him [ :-) ], then discovers he can actually down the AI with them.

Maybe we could be a little bit more understanding about the enthusiasm & sense of acheivement of someone who's new to the forum & starting to have some sucess (even against AI)

hmm? :-)

Cheers.

"The F-15C (BVR) and the AMRAAM AIM-120C are not so bad in LO" is a subjective statement & not so surprising from someone if they've read the threads here about how Pilotasso can dodge 100% of everything launched at him [ :-) ], then discovers he can actually down the AI with them.

LOL thats not what I said. ;)

I actualy had times where I got in despair. They were R-27ET's and it seemed unlikely to outshoot them with an AMRAAM. But it was a temporary set back.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Dutch60 is surely not a new comer - I remember his nick back from the Ubi forum.

Dutch60, if you have a good ping, why don't you join on-line, there is no shame in losing. If i could change my ISP, i would be on-line non-stop.

mt-2003-sun-corona.jpg

yeah some people are not confortable to jump in online because they think they wont get any fun from being downed by more experienced people.

They are missing alot.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Yeah - I know you've never claimed that really (smiley afterwards), just must seem that way to everybody else ...

(new poster here though - 2 & counting - if he feels like doing it again ...He didn't get a very warm welcome)

Cheers.

Dutch,

Welcome and Congratulations,

I could almost feel the excitement you must have experienced at achieving your AI kills in the F15. Your enthusiasm for this great simulation and willingness to express same and encourage and enlighten others is commendable. Nothing bad will ever come from the exuberance of a fellow virtual Lock On pilot sharing his enjoyment, and experience with others, be they newbies or veterans. Please continue to share with us your highs and your lows, of which there are bound to be as many.

Like many others my first frustrating experiences were with the AI in offline play where I almost always flew the F15, as being an Aussie it was the closest thing to home and they spoke english in the pit and I figured it was the best out there.

Having said that, most of my enjoyment since has been with the Russian birds. I figured it's a Russian sim, so maybe, just maybe the RU birds have the upper hand on the USA ones. What I did find though was, that for me anyway, the Su27/33 and Mig29 were a hell of a fun jet to fly and fight with, given the different weapons delivery methods.

So I flew them offline in various little Missions and half started some campaigns, although quickly tired of them, and never finished any. What I craved for and still do, was to have a human wingman and better yet a human element, and to fly against other real people. I wanted to be able to communicate live, with the guy in the jet next to me, where covering your wingie really means something, and at the same time knowing that the opposing force were people who were hell bent on seeing me go down in flames.

So I started flying online, my old Falcon buddies had long since shelved their copies of LOMAC, but for me Lock On and particularly Flaming Cliffs was, and still is as good as it gets in the Combat Flight Sim arena and online was where the "real" action was.

Unlike most of the pilots I have encountered online, I am a poor combatant. I have just enough knowledge to take off land, navigate, and deploy my weapons. I can generally maintain formation with fellow online pilots, at least until the shit hits the fan, however I die fast and frequently. Perhaps not as fast or frequently after each session, because experience is slowly taking hold, and I am learning a thing or two each time.

When I join a hyperlobby server, I always check the details for a TeamSpeak Server and log in to see how many of the participants are on comms. Sadly quite often there is nobody home, and so I go back to my own TS server. This for me is the most dissappointing aspect to online flying in that so few casual pilots bother to join the hosts TS server and "check in" with their fellow pilots. Oh the things that could be achieved with all pilots from both sides on comms, each flight in their own channel with broadcast comms to all flights.

The exception here is the active sqdrns like 169th and 44th, both of whom have welcomed me and helped me tremendously in flight and fight. I have flown online sorties with both in coordinated attacks, which I mostly died in, but gave a little bit back to the enemy and the guys there bent over backwards to make me an effective member of their flight.

I know that language may be a barrier for TS comms at times, but at the least you could link up with a fellow countryman in a sub channel where you could still monitor broadcasts in English, and besides, anyone who reads this forum and can post here in reasonable ENglish has all the qualifications necessary for participating in TeamSpeak whilst online.

I know that in the popular Falcon 4 AF server, MultiViper, you get kicked off the server, if you are not in TS in the appropriate channel. Now I am sure thats unnecesary but it demonstrates the value they place in establishing effective comms.

As to whether the F15C is "not all that bad" I took up the F15 the other night with Gideon and Dredd from the 169th and had a great time flying on thier wing, I got my ass shot off on numerous occassions, never managed to land once in at least 6 engagements, but did manage the odd kill.

In my final engagement and frustrated at ploughing into the ground with most of my missiles still hanging on my wings I systematically launched my remaining amramms at spaced intervals heading for the merge, shamelessly spamraaming him, (if I recall he was an IA sqd member) and seconds before I exploded into yet another flaming wreck I had the pleasure of seeing a similar flaming wreck on my nose.

Out of curiosity I checked thew last page of the debrief to see how it played out and counted 11 missiles launched from both our planes prior to our mutually assured destruction. So I didnt feel so bad, especially given that I had yet to use my heaters and he had thrown his at me as well as his radar.

It is probably frowned upon by the more experienced but I cant see the point in taking all those missiles down with me, if it might help ensure my survival and guarantee the early demise of my foe. I can always beat a hasty retreat and rearm, which is a lot more enjoyable than having to respawn, again. No doubt with time and experience the number of missiles required to bring down the enemy will decrease as my skills improve.

The point to this rather longwinded post is to encourage all that love to fly Lock On, is to spend your offline time getting acquainted with your favourite jet and its strengths and weaknesses, and then get online as fast and as often as possible. Get on TeamSpeak, introduce yourself, hook up with a flight, find out what is it you are supposed to be doing (read the briefing, coordinate your attacks, support your fellow team members as best as you can, learn and have fun. And just maybe, in between all those times you get your ass shot off from out of nowwhere, you might just get lucky and bag yourself a kill against one of the many veterans you encounter. When you do, and you will, savour the moment, give yourself a pat on the back, and get back up there again.

:pilotfly:

EDIT: Oh yeah , I nearly forgot...TURN THAT BLOODY JAMMER OFF!!

Killer

Guest Cali
Let this be a lesson to people: Turn off your jammers ;)

They won't listen and still will fly the whole time with their jammers on. No matter how much I tell them while I'm flying blue/red turn your jammers off. If they don't listen I have to wait til burn-thru.

Noobs please take our advice only use jammers when you need them. It is not part of the start-up procedure.

And by the way the 169th and many other squads have a PUBLIC teamspeak server, here is ours http://www.169thpanthers.com.au/

Hi Killer,

Thanks for the really nice and lengthy get back on-line pep talk.

I will try and get back on-line after training a little bit more off-line with the Russian jets.

i9 13900KS  (H150i), RTX 4090, 64 GB RAM @ 6000 MHz CL30, TM Warthog HOTAS + MFD's, MFG Crosswind, LG 48GQ900, Valve Index VR, TrackIR 5, Win11 Pro x64

Hi Killer,

Thanks for the really nice and lengthy get back on-line pep talk.

I will try and get back on-line after training a little bit more off-line with the Russian jets.

Mate, it was aimed at you and anyone else who is yet to experience the hair-raising excitement of flying LOFC online.

I hope to see you up there sometime.

Killer

Say it in a positive way: Humans fly way better :thumbup:

Programming a decent AI is a difficult undertaking (read: time and money)

and humans pester you with more tricky stuff you can think about.

And don't forget: humans learn and get better ... you fly like you train.

I would say 80% of the online players are poorer than the AI-expert but the other 20% of the online players scores about 100/0 kill ratio versus expert AI.

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

They won't listen and still will fly the whole time with their jammers on. No matter how much I tell them while I'm flying blue/red turn your jammers off. If they don't listen I have to wait til burn-thru.

Noobs please take our advice only use jammers when you need them. It is not part of the start-up procedure.

Can someone enlighten me, please, how to properly use jammer?

I usually leave it off, untill i get locked by the enemy. After that i turn it on and again off, as soon as i get the tone that enemy burned trough. Repeat the process as long as it's effective. Is this the right procedure?

mt-2003-sun-corona.jpg

Guest Cali
Can someone enlighten me, please, how to properly use jammer?

I usually leave it off, untill i get locked by the enemy. After that i turn it on and again off, as soon as i get the tone that enemy burned trough. Repeat the process as long as it's effective. Is this the right procedure?

Thats fine, just don't fly with it on all the time like some people do. Remember it is not part of the start precedure.

for a2a, general speaking, besides improve in evading missile skill and learn the basic stuff, no other skills especially offensive skill can be improve by playing offline. and for evading missiles, if you can deal with 3-4 expert Su27/33/30 or Mig29 full loaded, you are more than qualify for flying online to expect a positve kill ratio. unless you are very unfortunate to face pilotasso or ice all the time. usually capable of againsting 2 is plenty enough to start online experience, but may seems to be frustrated sometimes with a negative kill ratio. even just 1, you still can go for it if you are motivated enough to stay in a optimistic view when being shot down hundreds times without a single kill. one thing is that you will learn a lot faster and enjoy it 100 times more if you play online.

that's just my experience, but i think most of virture pilots if they got hook up with LO, they start fly online right away. i end up fly online after 2 years of playing offline, but my reason is before my computer can't login to HL if i'm operating under the chinese un-union code environment. and it's very frustrate to restart computer every time if i'm playing LO, so i rarely played online, maybe like once a month. however, after i finally came up a solusion for that, i jump in right away, which was last month considering i started LO in late 2004, that's long. at the beginning i only can down the newbees and some average guys by my offline skills, however, after i found out that i can't play people in the way that i'm playing AI and adjust to the environment in days, i placed more than above average in the 169. the highest rank i've achieved is 8th in the 169 with some kills on some of the best pilots, although they kicked my ass the most time. in school system since i'm a hardcore student, i say i started a low C and went up to a mid B in days in the scale of pilotasso and ice as being perfect. but i think i've missed tons of fun for stay offline so long.

if you need more encourage reasons, here they are:

1. the real engaging skill you only can learn online. AI's are so predictable, Rmax lauching, one shot at a time, pattern decoying, and no sneaking whatsoever. people don't do those things, they make mistakes, and they take advantage of your mistakes. and one more thing the AI don't do, they use runing away as tactics, that's not bad, it's one of the things can get you frastrated and make more mistakes.

2. the main thing: fun and real. offline, you play head on head engagement most time, since AI has God's SA, you can't take advantage on the radar weakness. but in the real world engagement, things are more than just head on head. people are sneaky and creative, that's what online can offer, the complexity.

3. the more important thing: more fun and real. offline, you can do hardly anything with your wingman, for me, besides some basic tactics, my AI wingman is more like a distractor or a fire bait that allow me to do more thing when it's been shot at. although there are some legend pilot out there can operate their wingman beautifully to accomplish things. for me, i don't know how to do that by just using very basic and simple commands. the only easy done and effective tactic i have so far is bracket. online, that's another story. plus, if you get the chance to fly besides some of the veterans, not only you can learn a lot, you also can make some kills and servive longer for your self-esteem.

bc my family rules (i don't wanna mention here), and my upcoming busy summer and senior year, i have to put LO away. but last month was a hell of experience, in a positive manner.

that's just my experience to share, hope it can motivate you enough to jump right into online rather thinking of how to improve yourself better enough for online with offline training.

basically, all this is just a long story of telling that i pretty much had done the same thing in the past as what you are doing now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Home address: 81°28W, 29°85N

Don't try to Waste Your Bombs and Missiles BC They are More Expensive.

god! Killer, i thought i beat you on the length! damn!

Yes it was a nice try Arbritrator, but I cheated, I put lots of spaces, line breaks and punctuation in mine to pad it out. A bit like spamramming only for forums. ;)

Great to see you're enjoying your online flying.

Killer