Are you suffering control problems ?

Jim L

Maybe this should be sticky'd .

Whilst reading through the Forum to try and solve my control problem I was surprised by how many others suffer similar problems.

Mine was even though the Shark would fly and hover reasonably well I still seemed to be unable to control it at different times, this has led to me leaving the sim for months at a time and going back to it eventually for a fresh start.

I am using Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog and Saitek rudder pedals. What I eventually noticed once I found out about the mini-hud was that when I moved the joystick it seemed to move the rudder and when operating the collective (Hotas Throttle Levers) they also affected the rudder and the cyclic.

After a few hours spent trying to diagnose what was wrong I found what I had taken for granted all this time - in options -controls - KA50 Sim - Axis Commands , the Collective - Cyclic Pitch -Cyclic Roll & rudder inputs were all duplicated by default across all three control devices. YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THOSE THAT DO NOT APPLY.

This is probably the first place to look if you have a control problem, I hope this is a help to at least one person.

...in options -controls - KA50 Sim - Axis Commands , the Collective - Cyclic Pitch -Cyclic Roll & rudder inputs were all duplicated by default across all three control devices...

You're right! This problem exists very long time. I wonder what I'll see upgraded DCS World.

I think TM and Saitek are probably the most preferred HOTAS today. ED must fix this for beginner pilots.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

You're right! This problem exists very long time. I wonder what I'll see upgraded DCS World.

I think TM and Saitek are probably the most preferred HOTAS today. ED must fix this for beginner pilots.

If you look in the joystick.lua's you will notice that usually in front of the surface control bindings they appended "combo".

These controls are automatically mapped to each controller. I think this is from the day that people only used joystick and MAYBE a throttle.

Nowadays people have loads of peripherals. and still these COMBO binds get bind to all devices. Even my logitech rumble pad.

I don't know better than deleting all axis binds when I install a new module. Its mandatory when you have 2 joysticks, a throttle, a pedal and a gamepad and track ir.

Maybe in 1.5 you don't need to perform spring cleaning in your binds when you install a new module. heres hoping.

Oh yeah, I have the Warthog along with Saitek Combat pedals and a CH Throttle Quadrant.

I had so many duplicates in my controller settings, I had to go in and clean all those out before I could even think about flying the Shark. It was a mess...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

this is ABC DCS... every new module, I open options/controls. Then under each controller, I mash clear category.. Build it up from scratch is better (even A-10C which works p&p)...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

A tip for manuvering the KA-50: use FLIGHT DIRECTOR.

The KA-50 autopilot has two basic modes:

1) Full autopilot control. (usually ON, Ka-50 may fight you)

a) Stabilizes the attitude (in its corresponding channels).

b) Tries to keep the attitud it had when last trimmed: the KA-50 will fight you if you try to manouver without trimming. Trimming all the time will help but is not enought for smooth and fast manuvers. I use this mode while in route in level flight and just before turning on auto hover.

2) Flight Director mode: (you have full control)

a) Stabilizes the attitud.

b) Does not try to keep last trimed attitud.

In this mode you can make acrobatic maneuvers very smoothly and with precision. I use it almost every time I want to change attitude, from take off, every time Im NOT in level flight or in a hover. You can trim to center your controls like on any aicraft but the autopilot wont fight you and try to keep the your last attitud. Try also turning off the altitud channel of the autopilot.

Its helps a lot if you have the Flight Director on/off mapped to your hotas, you can also map the autohover button and the Altitud autopilot channel. You will see and indication in your HUD when using Flight Director and alttitud AT channel. No need to look right and down for AT control panel.

If you havent tried already, do it!

You may also keep trimm button pressed while manouvering, but you may not feel as free as using flight director.

Edited by JorgeIII

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

A tip for manuvering the KA-50: use FLIGHT DIRECTOR.

The KA-50 autopilot has two basic modes:

1) Full autopilot control. (usually ON, Ka-50 may fight you)

a) Stabilizes the attitude (in its corresponding channels).

b) Tries to keep the attitud it had when last trimmed: the KA-50 will fight you if you try to manouver without trimming. Trimming all the time will help but is not enought for smooth and fast manuvers. I use this mode while in route in level flight and just before turning on auto hover.

2) Flight Director mode: (you have full control)

a) Stabilizes the attitud.

b) Does not try to keep last trimed attitud.

In this mode you can make acrobatic maneuvers very smoothly and with precision. I use it almost every time I want to change attitude, from take off, every time Im NOT in level flight or in a hover. You can trim to center your controls like on any aicraft but the autopilot wont fight you and try to keep the your last attitud. Try also turning off the altitud channel of the autopilot.

Its helps a lot if you have the Flight Director on/off mapped to your hotas, you can also map the autohover button and the Altitud autopilot channel. You will see and indication in your HUD when using Flight Director and alttitud AT channel. No need to look right and down for AT control panel.

If you havent tried already, do it!

You may also keep trimm button pressed while manouvering, but you may not feel as free as using flight director.

In my opinion this is completely the wrong advice.

Using flight director makes you neglect the auto pilot banks. Getting accustomed to them really helps your flying.

I would advice flying without any auto-pilot banks to be able to fly the thing when it malfunctions. This is really not hard once you put some hours in the Huey. childlishly easy matter a fact.

Knowing what the auto pilot banks do and how you use it will really pay off. When you are fighting the auto-pilot, you don't understand it. holding trim will deactivate all banks untill you release it into a new heading.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Basically Flight director = keeping trim pressed.

We have to adapt as our controllers are not the same of a real KA-50. Those who have a Force Feed back joystick might be closer, I have TM Warthog Hotas.

If you want to do fast maneuvers smoothly you can't be constantly pushing and releasing trim button and recentering the joystick or waiting a few centiseconds for gaining control again.(It depends of how you have trim setup in game options).

Using flight director you can still trim controls (without setting new autopilot values) while maneuvering, you can't do it if you have to keep trim button pressed.

This is specially important if you have same curves in your joystick, as it allows you to keep it in the sweetest point.

If you want to master the KA-50 I suggest you master both modes: full autopilot flying (usefull on steady flight and slow maneuvering) and Flight Director mode or "trim pressed mode" (usefull for smooth, fast maneuvers).

Autopilot completely OFF is a completely different thing. It turns OFF when you have an hydraulic failure or manually turn OFF autopilot channels. You loose autopilot stabilization, you don't loos stabilization while trimming or using Flight Director.

And yes, after mastering the Huey flying the KA-50 is a pice of cake.

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

Yes. I use FD mode for NOE flights all the time.. Much easier to evade fighters, doing quick turns and all that. Reaper6 gave awesome tips while we were fighting in Blue Flag.

Anything with a Rotary Wing is fun and challenging.

Use SRS radio.

Saitek X55 Modding

System Specs

Mixed Metals: i7 4790K@4.6, 32GB Kingston HyperX ram@2400Mhz, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, ASUS Vega 64, 3xSamsung SSD drives, FSP Aurum 1000W PSU, Custom watercooling with EK blocks, Vive, Virpil MT 50, X55 throttle.