Air-To-Air Quickmission

WelshZeCorgi

Wonderful plane, can't get enough.

Has anyone tried the A-to-A quick mission where you have to kill an opposing L39?

As hard as I try, getting the missile to actually track and kill the target.

I can get both R-3s off the rail, so no, I didn't forget to flip the trigger and arm the missile and seeker. I can fire them both but once I get on the AI's tail, he just turns hard forever.

Trying to kill him in that sustained lvl one circle flight is hard. I've tried cutting the circle or even reversing to get into a two circle fight, but the AI seems to be programmed to get itself into a defensive one circle and just do that till it runs out of fuel...

I have shot it down twice, one rear angle shot and one low deflection where he was crossing my sight at a very low rate.

I've once shot both missiles from his rear quarter and both failed to track, even though the AI was flying straight and level.

I don't play A-A much, but anyone here got any general tips or lessons about how these R-3s's work?

Just tried it out - could launch a few missiles but had no luck.

I found it a bit strange though that I´ve got locks when the enemy plane was at positions where I thought it impossible to get a lock (somewhere near my 3 / 9 o'clock) and I didn´t get locks where I thought I should get one (pretty much on his six).

But then I´m a noob when it comes to missiles and stuff (mostly I´ve got experience in WWII and Korea planes when it comes to air combat :D )

It is the about the same missile as the one from the Sabre, which we all know isn't good for anything except killing bombers.

I'll stick to the MiG-21bis for my BFM needs for now (even though the cockpit has the worst visibility you can get in a fighter…).

I found it a bit strange though that I´ve got locks when the enemy plane was at positions where I thought it impossible to get a lock (somewhere near my 3 / 9 o'clock) and I didn´t get locks where I thought I should get one (pretty much on his six).

Just keep in mind that you can now get a lock tone if your IR seeker is facing the sun. Might add to some confusion. :smilewink:

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

Yea it is hard as (insert object). It's a rear aspect missile and the fact that you can't launch it when pulling more than 2g's makes it extremely hard to get a good shot. I guess the optimal use of this aicraft (in terms of a2a) would be interception of smaller aircraft where you aren't expecting a turn fight :p

The optimal use of this aircraft for a2a is to not use this aircraft for a2a.

Maybe some target practice at non manoeuvring targets.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Does the ZA version have the capacity to equip a better IR missile?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I was never able to get a missile off the rail while I had a lock tone, I was able to launch without tone while pointed at the bandit, the first missile tracked but missed as he turned, the second missile found it's mark.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Gentleman, first in reality L-39 never was able to fire R-3S. She was only capable take training round R-3U. This is not combat aircraft but training machine, so don't expect some extraordinary capabilities. Young pilot had only discover the general rules for use those kind of weapon. Real combat training was later in combat unit.

I modified the mission so that the enemy aircraft was a C17, makes it a bit easier!

Also, don't forget the safety catch on the stick and keep hold of fire button until missile leaves the rail.

PS. C17 can take two missiles and continue flying!

Well, just tried today. After dancing with my opponent... turning and turning and turning ... (repeat this for ...20 Minutes!) I finally got a lock. BUT I could nearly see the white in the eyes of the other pilot. Not to say I had too much g's. Anyway I forced this situation several times, forced a lower g to shoot, but the missile went straight ahead...

Watching this on tacview showed: the lock-tone appears only in very close situation...500/600m, if not even closer.

In the documentation I found this sentence:

"when target visible size is 3-2 times smaller than the rangefinding circle, launch missile" When doing this there is no lock tone - but you can shoot anyway....and HIT! I tried it several times and it worked quite well (but not always) - the enemy is then about 1.4km away.

So: If the opponent is running from you, you have the pipper before his nose and his plane is relatively small: Shoot!

Maybe the (too) late lock tone is a bug?

Spec: i7 3.4GHz; 16GB; NVidia GTX 970, 4GB; win10; 24' 1080; TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR5