A10-C Panel models and knobs

Lars

Things are starting to come together!

I will re-upload the panels on Monday with updated fonts and some minor corrections. (BETA 0.9123563224)

Can I ask what you think of the panels so far pros and cons?

Thanks again guys for helping out!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things are starting to come together!

I will re-upload the panels on Monday with updated fonts and some minor corrections. (BETA 0.9123563224)

Can I ask what you think of the panels so far pros and cons?

Thanks again guys for helping out!

Lars. these look really nice!! :thumbup: I have a CNC machine on order and will be trying a few of these as soon as I figure the sucker out. Thanks for the effort! It really is appreciated.

That looked very good Anton. Thank you for your help.

The reason my panels has 2 outer lines is an option for people that want to use chaimfer on the edges.

If not just delete the inner of the outer lines :D If the lines causes confusion maybe its best I delete them?

(If we are talking about the same lines?)

Thanks again for your help!

i'm sure you had your reasons. whether keep the original poly-lines or explode and delete is really up to you, go for what suits your process best. i can't imagine anyone expects a 100% ready solution without a need of some modifications. its already a very good reference that you have going.

for your consideration (this is not a request) - an improvement that i think would be a step forward is merging all the individual files for same panel into one multi-layer file.

thanks again :thumbup:

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

+1

for merging the three files. Its usually the first thing I do (thanks to Warhog for the idea). But I also change to inch and rotate. I think Anton is correct that nobody expects to have to do no modifications. It only takes a minute and you ( Lars ) have all the needed bits and pieces that need to be there.

I am still having some issues. I'm using CamBam and if I use all the same settings I have always used it refuses to make a toolpath in the center horizontal line of the letter B. When I measure that line its .017 thick and I have .010 cutter setup as the tool. If I mess around with stepover it works. ???

Anybody else here use CamBam and run into this?

Thanks All!

Clay

Cant help you here either bro, sorry.

I dont use it at at the moment.

I'm sure John will come in with a solution.

Moving to inches is a grey area, I learned in inches (Scotland) but use mm now because that's the way the EU has become. Easy for me to sort but some guys learning might have an issue. Hope that doesn't sound cheeky, not meant to be. :thumbup:

Windows 7 64 Home Premium, i5 3570K (3.4 @ 4.4GHz), Asus P8Z77-V LX, 16GB dual channel 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidia GTX980ti, 240 GB OCZ SSD, 3 TB Raptor, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas and Throttle, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals.

Some progress on the panels Clay? found out how to fix the font ?

I am close to done with all the panels now, changing the font and adjusting some text and hole positioning.

Starting to look good IMO.

And If I understand it right, you guys want me to make one complete panel in one DXF. file ?

-Lars

Edited by Lars

+1

for merging the three files. Its usually the first thing I do (thanks to Warhog for the idea). But I also change to inch and rotate. I think Anton is correct that nobody expects to have to do no modifications. It only takes a minute and you ( Lars ) have all the needed bits and pieces that need to be there.

I am still having some issues. I'm using CamBam and if I use all the same settings I have always used it refuses to make a toolpath in the center horizontal line of the letter B. When I measure that line its .017 thick and I have .010 cutter setup as the tool. If I mess around with stepover it works. ???

Anybody else here use CamBam and run into this?

Thanks All!

Clay

Clay are you pocketing the letter or engraving it? If you are pocketing it, CamBam will not allow a tool path that ultimately cuts beyond the perimeter of the area to be pocketed. In other words, if you have a 2" long x 0.1" wide pocket and you try to pocket it with a .125 end mill CamBam will not allow it as that end mill would cut beyond the limits of the outline.:

John:)

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

Some progress on the panels Clay? found out how to fix the font ?

I am close to done with all the panels now, changing the font and adjusting some text and hole positioning.

Starting to look good IMO.

And If I understand it right, you guys want me to make one complete panel in one DXF. file ?

-Lars

Hi Lars

The technique I had discussed with Clay was to create the top panel first and then draw over it to create the mid panel and then to draw over top of those two to create the back panel. That way it ensures you have all your pockets/drill holes, perimeters, etc. in perfect alignment. They should each be on their own layer. That way you can turn on just the top panel and select the machine operations you need, create the g-code, turn off that layer, turn on the mid panel, select the machine operations...and so on.

Stacking all the panels like this makes for a great final check before you cut.

But the drawings you have created are in 3D so I don't know how that will affect things. I do not work in 3D. I work in what is commonly referred to as 2.5D. Thats what my g-code creator prefers.

John

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

Thanks John and Lars

I am pocketing because I could not get the stick font installed. I did find a fix though. I changed "region fill style" to outside offsets. I usually use inside+outside. I haven't tried to cut anything yet but will today. Odd how this font cuts requires a bunch of different settings ??

Thanks Guys

Clay

For some reason, that I don't understand yet, the new font required different settings for the toolpaths to cut correctly. After a lot of "trial and error" I managed to make it work. It is most likely due to my lack of experience with my cam program.

So, if I can make it work, ANYBODY can make it work!

Also

Lars,

If it is a big job for you to put everything in one file then DON'T. You have already put a lot effort into this. It is not that hard for us to move things around and create our single file like we want it. I just cut/paste the files to create a single one. Only takes a couple of minutes. So don't trouble yourself. It's just a minor detail. I would much rather you progress with the mip (ufc!) than worry about file structure.

Clay

When it comes to the MIP I can sure do it. But I think LynX should finish his first.

I do not think I can do it any better.

Think LynX got the dimensions from some pilots that have taken the dimensions from the Hog, so it should be close to spot on.

I am not 100% sure but I think he will release the detailed drawings of the panels for everyone to use.

Your panel turned out very good-looking with the new font, and I have "upgraded" the other panels with the correct font minus the EGI, IFF, UHF and the EW panel (uses close to the same font as used before I think).

Will update the main page with the new models today.

-Lars

• Like 1

Hey Lars.

The dimensions i have released is only the outline of the panels, i dont have the real 100% positions of all the switches etc.

And i havent begun to design all of those panels yet, so if you want to design them using my dimensions i think you should :)

We are doing this for the community, and i think its nice that you release drawings for those who want to make their own panels.

Right now im working on the MIP drawing, which will be released in DXF when its done.... im accually about to cut it out to be sure its working with the glareshield etc. When im done with that im going to produce the Panels and bezels.

But if you want to design the panels, i say go on with it :) the more information and options available for the community, the better :)

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

Hey Lars.

The dimensions i have released is only the outline of the panels, i dont have the real 100% positions of all the switches etc.

And i havent begun to design all of those panels yet, so if you want to design them using my dimensions i think you should :)

We are doing this for the community, and i think its nice that you release drawings for those who want to make their own panels.

Right now im working on the MIP drawing, which will be released in DXF when its done.... im accually about to cut it out to be sure its working with the glareshield etc. When im done with that im going to produce the Panels and bezels.

But if you want to design the panels, i say go on with it :) the more information and options available for the community, the better :)

I don't see the point doing the MIP when you are already doing such a good work on it.

When done will you release complete drawings to share with the cockpit building community?

I decided some days ago that I will not build the A10-C cockpit for myself. Instead I have started creating panels and cockpit drawings for the F/A18C.

The plan is that it will be done before or close to the release of the module whenever that happens.

The reason why I made this decision is because I can see myself having more fun over time with the F18-C then the A10-C.

I will continue updating the panels I have made for the A10-C if I get any correction or input from people that want to use them.

-Lars

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

first of all, I want to thank Lars, and all the other guys, who put so much effort into these projects, and release that work to the public. I really appreciate it.

I personally lack the skills to manufacture good looking panels. Also I lack the tools (no cnc machine, no laser).

Last weekend I manufactured a simple caution light panel. But compared to the stuff you guys produce, my panel looks like crap. :ranting:

So i have a few dumb questions.

What is the best material used for these panels? Do you use acrylic glass, or another plastic material. And what kind of paint ist best used for creating the black finish?

Is it better to have the panels engraved mechanically, or is a laser cutter the better option.

Does anyone here know a shop, that is able to produce the panels from the dxf files, Lars provided? Preferably in EU or even better Germany.

Best regards...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...