Looking for a new card.. AMD vs Nvidia

@ fixen and all

I did a run with DDU. Everything ran fine.

FPS still down. With HELIOS about 20, without about 40 to 60.

Gadroc says (googled that): "... activate Windows Aero ..."

Now FPS with HELIOS around 50. :) But Windows looks like wet sticky candy.

You can't get a thing without loose another :(

Edited by Tekkx

Manual for my version of RS485-Hardware, contact: tekkx@dresi.de

Please do not PM me with DCS-BIOS-related questions. If the answer might also be useful to someone else, it belongs in a public thread where it can be discovered by everyone using the search function. Thank You.

Hi Guys,

I am interested in R9 390x.

However, in my town,

I find HIS Radeon HD R9 390X ICEQ X2 OC 8G DDR5 is the most reasonably priced compared to other brand.

MSI and Sapphire is about 15% to 25% more expensive compared to this one.

Has anyone bought this brand before?

Is HIS worth buying?

Please let me know your opinion.

Hi Guys,

I am interested in R9 390x.

However, in my town,

I find HIS Radeon HD R9 390X ICEQ X2 OC 8G DDR5 is the most reasonably priced compared to other brand.

MSI and Sapphire is about 15% to 25% more expensive compared to this one.

Has anyone bought this brand before?

Is HIS worth buying?

Please let me know your opinion.

In tests the HIS seems to be good

http://www.techspot.com/review/1019-radeon-r9-390x-390-380/

I got the Sapphire 390x Nitro. The card is quiet und cool.

Playing Black Ops 3 - max ~72C° with vsync

I7-4790K @4,5, 8GB Ram, Sapphire Nitro 390x 8gb, MSI Gaming 7, Samsung S32D850T WQHD, TrakIr5, TM Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Pedals, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

there are some people that says that radeon card works good only with AMD processor.

is this still correct for current systems?

Bullshit. It's never been like that. If anyone tells you that, it just means they have been manipulated by AMD marketing tactics, and lack any real knowledge in the subject.

thanks Mael,

how about using radeon card with intel processor?

does it work well now?

there are some people that says that radeon card works good only with AMD processor.

is this still correct for current systems?

That's no problem intel->amd card.

I7-4790K @4,5, 8GB Ram, Sapphire Nitro 390x 8gb, MSI Gaming 7, Samsung S32D850T WQHD, TrakIr5, TM Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Pedals, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Have had a couple of days now playing with my new Sapphire R9 390X and it's damn good.

DCS 1.5 i don't think i've seen it drop below 60 fps.

DCS 2.0 54fps at it's lowest about two miles heading towards the Stratosphere Tower after taking of from Nellis AFB whenever i look to the left towards the mountain range. As soon as i look back towards the Strip it jumps back up to 60fps again, getting the odd little stutter here and there down town Vegas but everywhere else on the Nevada map is very stable and smooth.

Also play tested in Rise of flight, Steel Beasts, WOT and all found to run very smooth running at never less than 60fps. Falcon BMS 4.33 eventually settled at capping the fps at 30 using the "Frame rate target control" in the Crimson Driver software and also using the "in game" Vsync within BMS... running very smooth with no tearing.

Still experimenting with BOS IL2 at the moment, generally the R9 390X is playing very smooth in BOS IL2, however if the fps do drop below 60 then i do get little stutters. Using Radeon Pro to set "Double Vsync" and also "Dynamic framerate control" to 30 fps seems to be doing a very good job of smoothing things out..... still playing with things at the moment.

I always aim for smoothness, be it at 30fps or 60fps, one thing that i would really like AMD to implement is a true 1/2 refresh rate option in their drivers. A very useful tool to have in my opinion as sometimes i think you can achieve more with less.

Overall it's a very nice card, i just hope it's as reliable as my EVGA 670 GTX has been over the past three years that i used it :thumbup:.

Win 11 Home 64Bit, i7-13700K@5.2Ghz Water Cooled, 32 Gb RAM, PNY RTX4090, HP Reverb, PICO 4, Quest 3, Realsimulator FSSB R3, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals.

Just a quick tip Gunnergolly: RadeonPro is sadly not up to date. Development stopped a long time ago, which means it doesn't support current AMD graphics drivers. It could lead to incompatibility issues, and cause more harm than it's worth.

As for v-sync at half refresh rate, just turn on v-sync and then set the framerate control to any framerate between half and just under native refresh rate. The result is the same as if you would have a v-sync half refresh option enabled. It's just not as intuitive.

Thanks Brisse, i tried setting half refresh rate the way you suggested but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working. Whatever fps i set in the framerate control (45fps in my case) is exactly what i get "in game" along with heavy screen tearing.

Maybe it's because i'm using the new "Crimson" drivers and it's worth trying the above settings with the old Catalyst drivers ?. It's been a fair few years since i last used the Catalyst drivers, so i'm not sure exactly how much "tweaking" they allow you to do.

I was wondering are there any alternatives to Radeon Pro ?.

Win 11 Home 64Bit, i7-13700K@5.2Ghz Water Cooled, 32 Gb RAM, PNY RTX4090, HP Reverb, PICO 4, Quest 3, Realsimulator FSSB R3, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals.

Whatever fps i set in the framerate control (45fps in my case) is exactly what i get "in game" along with heavy screen tearing.

That could be caused by RadeonPro. Sounds like you have the adaptive v-sync option enabled. That would result in v-sync being off as long as the framerate is under 60, which it is permanently in your case since you are limiting framerate using FRTC.

Maybe it's because i'm using the new "Crimson" drivers and it's worth trying the above settings with the old Catalyst drivers ?. It's been a fair few years since i last used the Catalyst drivers, so i'm not sure exactly how much "tweaking" they allow you to do.

You mean you want to go back to a driver that was released while RadeonPro were still being developed? That's a bad idea, because the drivers have become much better since then, with major improvements in functionality, stability and performance. To be honest, the AMD graphics driver was pretty crappy back then.

I was wondering are there any alternatives to Radeon Pro ?.

Sadly no, but I don't see much use for RadeonPro any longer. The only useful feature I can think of is adaptive v-sync. Personally I don't need that since I have a freesync compatible monitor now, so I don't have any use for RadeonPro whatsoever. I which they would add adaptive v-sync in their driver like nvidia did. It would be nice for those still running fixed refresh rate monitors.

I deactivated the BOS IL2 profile and also completely shut down Radeon Pro, so it shouldn't have been interfering with the "Crimson" driver settings.

Sorry no, what i meant was trying the very last Catalyst driver before this new "Crimson" driver, i believe this Crimson driver is the first of a new strain for their drivers ?.

When i first tried the Crimson drivers every time i restarted my machine i kept losing all my game profiles. The recent Crimson "hotfix" driver fixed that problem, maybe there's a problem with with it working properly with your suggested Vsync settings ?.

Anyway assuming that it is working properly i will try again later and hopefully see what i'm doing wrong ?.

Thanks.

Edited by Gunnergolly

I deactivated the BOS IL2 profile and also completely shut down Radeon Pro, so it shouldn't have been interfering with the "Crimson" driver settings.

Actually, some of the stuff RadeonPro does will permanently mess with your driver, even after it is shut down. That's why it's so dangerous to use with the newer drivers. The only way to make sure RadeonPro has no influence is to uninstall it, then uninstall the driver with a tool called DDU, and then make a fresh install of the latest driver.

Sorry no, what i meant was trying the very last Catalyst driver before this new "Crimson" driver, i believe this Crimson driver is the first of a new strain for their drivers ?.

AMD marketing department like us to believe it is completely new, but that's not really true. It's just another update to the old driver, but with some new features and a new UI. Otherwise it is just the usual bug fixing and optimization that we have seen between different versions of Catalyst previously. Feel free to try old versions if you want. I suggest you use DDU to uninstall the current driver first. The AMD uninstaller does not do a great job which has caused me problems many times in the past.

• 4 weeks later...

If I would have to buy now a video card I will go with AMD because:

-AMD Fury have a huge bandwidth (4096 bits) which will help drastically on DX11 and especially DX12

-3xx series which have anyway bigger bandwidth than Nvidia and a lot of RAM

These days, if you are going to higher than FullHD resolution you will need for sure more than 4Gb video ram.

In my case I have to go with my current setup until next gen of GPUs will show up. I barely wait to exchange SLI setup with single card, I will just be sure will be the most powerfull at that moment.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom