Professional and affordable TrackIR alternative

hegykc

If it holds more steady than a TrackIR so I can flip the switches without pulling my hair out - I'll be up for one, too!

Ditto if it doesn't go nuts when I look at my virtual rudder pedals.

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless & Valve Index; Point Control v2

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The track clip does not require a USB connection, except to provide power. Once you stick a battery in the clip, it does not need any 'wireless' connection.

Simple, thanks. I'll look into that myself. I'm tired of reaching for the keyboard and catching the lead.

If it holds more steady than a TrackIR so I can flip the switches without pulling my hair out - I'll be up for one, too!

Ditto if it doesn't go nuts when I look at my virtual rudder pedals.

The first is a function of the TIR software and it's settings.

The second is a function of the FOV of the camera combined with your profile curve for that axis.

Neither issue is going to be altered significantly by changing the characteristics of the LED emitters.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

a tip for brixmis, I have added trackir pause to my side button on my mouse, makes it real steady for flicking switches

• Like 1

Win 10,MB GA-X79S-UP5 cpu i7-3820 water cooled,GPU 1080ti ,psu corsair HX1200i,,ram Dominator 32GB trackir 5,VKB Gunfighter stick , throttle ,saitek x65f & CH pedals

a tip for brixmis, I have added trackir pause to my side button on my mouse, makes it real steady for flicking switches

Actually that's a really good idea. thanks.

I have a programmable gaming mouse (a Tecknet M008 - highly recommend it - cheap at times from Amazon, but the best mouse I've had in years) so it will be simple and convenient.

:beer:

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless & Valve Index; Point Control v2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, do you have any updates for us?

My system:

Intel Core i7 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16Gb Crucial 1600mhz DDR3, MSI GTX660 Gaming, Scythe Mugen 4, Samung 850 EVO 500GB, Fractal Design Define R4, WD Green 2TB, Windows 10

TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Rudders

DCS:

A10C, UH-1, F15C

"When everything seem to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it..."

Henry Ford

I, for one, am very eager to find out what IR pass filter is being used. My homemade headtracker works very well (also with OpenTrack, and PS3eye camera with IR block filter removed), except at a certain time of year and day when the sun shines into the FOV of the camera (and my blinds let through streaks of light). I was not able to find an affordable IR pass filter, as OP said right at the beginning of this thread, floppy and film don't work all that well (block too much IR and don't block enough visible light). OP said he could get 780nm IR pass filters for free in unlimited quantities... I'd settle for $2 for a single one :)

My headtracking cap is also wireless, the batteries have so far lasted over 60 hours, and according to calculations they should last over 120 hours. If I change the resistor to make the LEDs brighter, it somewhat improves the performance when sun is shining on me (after changing detection threshold in OpenTrack), but of course will reduce the battery life. I could maybe make another switch to change between bright and non-bright, but it starts becoming a clunky hack then (well, even more of a clunky hack than it is now).

A good IR pass filter such as OP describes sounds like an ideal solution... but where to get it?

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

03-09-2016 Now I'm back and prototypes will follow shortly. This is project No.1 from now, it's the most simplest one and has the broadest application, transcending sim flying and going into racing, shooters and all other gaming genres. Something simple and broad like this was needed, as it will pay for development of all other much more complicated projects like grips, throttles, instruments and panels.

I just need to finish up some machining files this weekend and it's off to prototyping next week.

That was nearly one month ago... also starting to wonder what happened to OP.

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A good IR pass filter such as OP describes sounds like an ideal solution... but where to get it?

I use one of these on my PS3 Eye and it works very well. I did not remove the camera filter either. I used 950nm led's in my build IIRC so this filter will pass them. You need to know what wavelength your led's are.

http://www.amazon.com/ZOMEi-25MM-GLASS-Infrared-Filter/dp/B00MHRVHLU/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1460033479&sr=8-13&keywords=ir+pass+filter

You can use imagination to mount it. I went the water bottle method and mounted the filter to it with double sided tape. It's removable from the camera by just sliding the cap off.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2092142

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

I use one of these on my PS3 Eye and it works very well. I did not remove the camera filter either. I used 950nm led's in my build IIRC so this filter will pass them. You need to know what wavelength your led's are.

http://www.amazon.com/ZOMEi-25MM-GLASS-Infrared-Filter/dp/B00MHRVHLU/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1460033479&sr=8-13&keywords=ir+pass+filter

Thanks, I'll take a look at that! My LEDs peak at 940nm, so almost identical to yours. (I used IR333) That Amazon item is quite pricey though, where did you get those other foils from the linked forum post? Did they work well?

I love the bottle cap idea! I'm going to do that too, as soon as I find cheap working filter material. I used prestik and cutout of floppy before, not nearly as elegant as the bottle cap.

Edit: I see now the foils were a link to somebody else's post.

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This looks quite decent: http://www.eplastics.com/Plexiglass_Acrylic_Sheet_Infrared_Transmitting

and at $33 for a 48"x24" sheet... You can probably get over 4000 filters for PS3 eye size out of that, so about 8c each :)

Edit: I bet OP had something like this in mind when he said he could get unlimited quantities of filters for free... this is virtually free (per filter), as long as you can find a way to quickly, easily and efficiently do the cutouts, maybe a drill press with a half inch hole saw attachment or maybe laser cutting or something.

Edited by gyrovague

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have a feeling this may be dead?

Hope not ... :cry:

But he hasn't provided any recent updates ... might be very busy I guess ...

I was eagerly waiting for this piece ...

Guess it will be the expensive TIR5 for me then ... :(

Check Six!!!_:gun_sniper:_:pilotfly:

||R7-2700X||ASUS ROG STRIX-X470F Gaming||GSKILL-TridentZRGB 16GBDDR4 3200C14||CORSAIR RM 1000X||SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX 24GB OC||WARTHOG HOTAS||:gun_smilie:

These guys seem to sell a bunch of PS3 eye accessories, such as lenses and filters. This $5 one seems to correspond to the high pass IR acrylic I mentioned in the previous post, and this bandpass filter looks just about perfect for my IR-333 LEDs (but quite pricey at $24). I have a feeling this bandpass one would be a better bet for my "sunlight shining on my face" problem, as that reflected sunlight is sure to contain a lot of IR spectrum too... or I must just get better blinds.

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Hegykc,

Its May already ... No updates for almost 2 months from ya ...

Hope alls well with you ...

Care to keep us posted Mate ?:noexpression:

||R7-2700X||ASUS ROG STRIX-X470F Gaming||GSKILL-TridentZRGB 16GBDDR4 3200C14||CORSAIR RM 1000X||SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX 24GB OC||WARTHOG HOTAS||:gun_smilie:

• 4 weeks later...

Any news?

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

Seems from the other F-18 grip for Warthog thread that we will see some news regarding this in July ...

Seems from the other F-18 grip for Warthog thread that we will see some news regarding this in July ...

Ok, thanks

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

Hope this stands true as I am excited for a professional Trackir instead of making my own, although making my own is fun. Hopefully we get some good news.

• 4 weeks later...
This looks quite decent: http://www.eplastics.com/Plexiglass_Acrylic_Sheet_Infrared_Transmitting

and at $33 for a 48"x24" sheet... You can probably get over 4000 filters for PS3 eye size out of that, so about 8c each :)

Edit: I bet OP had something like this in mind when he said he could get unlimited quantities of filters for free... this is virtually free (per filter), as long as you can find a way to quickly, easily and efficiently do the cutouts, maybe a drill press with a half inch hole saw attachment or maybe laser cutting or something.

A laser cutting machine would be easier although some material would probably be lost. (They cost around $150 - $200. Not a bad investment )

A laser cutting machine would be easier although some material would probably be lost. (They cost around $150 - $200. Not a bad investment )

Wow, I didn't realise they could be acquired so cheaply, had assumed they're an order of magnitude more costly than that (never really tried looking though). Any specific make&model in that price range you'd recommend?

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]