Professional and affordable TrackIR alternative

hegykc

There's absolutely no grounds on which they could "go after" the users/purchasers (and they could only know who they were if hegykc keeps a record of purchasers and hands it over) . Let's not spread FUD.

I'm not trying to spread FUD. Do what you want. Read this for example:

http://www.the-business-of-patents.com/patent-infringement.html

Specifically this part:

a) Except as otherwise provided in this title, whoever without authority makes, uses, offers to sell, or sells any patented invention, within the United States, or imports into the United States any patented invention during the term of the patent therefor, infringes the patent.

Active inducement of patent infringement is a complex subject. It basically refers to the situation in which an end user or consumer infringes a patent, but was actively induced to do so by a third party. This often happens with method claims. That third party may not directly infringe because they never practice the method themselves, but they induce the end user to practice the method.

Edited by SinusoidDelta

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no patents on a clip with 3 ir leds. There are also no patents on an ir camera/sensor as it is an off the shelf product. And that's all I'll be selling. There are already 2 other sellers doing it for quite some time, DelanClip and TrackHat but at 2x and 3x the price.

Patents were for software, and even there they couldn't patent anything because patents already existed and were expired. So they patented "software that displays real and virtual head position positions at the same time". Which has nothing at all to do with head tracking. Just an unnecessary feature to obtain a patent where there is none. Open source solutions got rid of the "at the same time" part and voila, no longer patent infringing.

Anyway, in their initial marketing they were promising a 20$ head tracking unit for people with disabilities. Go check how much their non-gaming device costs now, I'll wait...it's 500$. So much for "no greed". Sure it's business and I don't blame them. But I will also not give them any divine praise for "helping out" us simmers. They did nothing of the sort, they took a nice chunk of cash for a product they developed, that's all. They deserve your money, not your worship.

But I really couldn't care less about any of that. All I know is I wanted a wireless, detachable, affordable device that doesn't look like something I'd be ashamed to have on my headset. There weren't any.

Edited by hegykc

Glad that I've been waiting to upgrade my TrackIr 4 to better one..this looks promising...:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP Z420 | Xeon E5-1650 @3.20GHz/3.70Ghz | 16Gb DDR3-1333 | ZOTAC GTX 980 Ti AMP! | Micron RealSSD C400 256Gb | Sound Blaster Z | TrackIR4 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog| CH Pro pedals | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

It's called business.

No this is called greed. Business will cost 60$ and they will still earn dissent money without oppress people who want that technology be on realistic price.

I don't want that someone dictate me what I have to use it is just against the low too. I'ts called monopol and it is forced and here in Europe customers are protected against it.

They right is to chose they business policy but in same way my right is to chose should I accept it and chose what product I want.

My point is NP is chuse go against customers not adopt price with reducing of cost of production and out dating technology. Normal is that how some technology getting older it is normal that price is droping and they didn't do that. Today production of TrackIR is much more cheaper than it was when this product was release.

If they go with logic and reducing price with time they will keep monopol by decent price not by force.

No this is called greed. Business will cost 60$ and they will still earn dissent money without oppress people who want that technology be on realistic price.

you do realize what "oppress" means, right? how can you possibly be "oppressed" to buy something? no, its called business. As manufacturer of the product they are fully entitled to set any price they please and market will determine how many units they move. "realistic" is subjective and number you mentioned is not based on anything. and what you are completely missing is manufacturing the cheap plastic pieces is just a tiny fraction of the cost (even with custom controller in the detection unit). the bulk of the effort to put something like TIR together is the software and establishing ongoing support from game makers.

and that's why i really don't think the word "alternative" is appropriate in the thread title. TIR is a complete solution and while more then delain's peice of metal hegykc project is just hardware. alternative to TIR would be whatever open source software you choose to use with this hardware.

this project does however looks like a very good alternative for the cheap track clip, and i will be getting it for that. hegykc, perhaps consider package of this without the camera?

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Simply put. Any product that uses a patent of any sort is more or less a monopolised item for 20 years. After that time it is considered a technological level and is available for use. a combination of items to perform a function performed by any other given set of devices does not hurt the patent unless there is a patent for the final function as a status. I am following such cases for years and i do not recall smt that fits in the case of our friend.

That by any and all means does not mean that it stops anyone from filing against him. I would be surprised though to see it happen in that scale.

Once more..... Good Luck.

Greek/German origin.

Flying sims since 1984.

Using computers since 1977.

Favored FS's:F/A18 Interceptor, F19 Stealth Fighter, Gunnship, F16 Combat Pilot, Flight of the Intruder, A320, Falcon 4.0, MSFS 2004-X, DCS

Wormeaten,

It's an opinion, so there's no right or wrong answer. But terms like oppression and monopoly does seem a bit over the top when you consider that we're talking about a piece of plastic used for gaming, no? No one is *FORCED* to buy TrackIR. Those who do (like me) considered it a worthwhile investment. Like I said, in *true* capitalism, the market dictates what is fair and what is not. You charge whatever you think will make you a buck w/o killing repeat business or word of mouth business.

No on is in the business of making decent enough money. People go into business to *maximize* their profit. That's how business is run. Like when they ask Rockefeller "How much money is enough?" His response was "Just a little more" :)

But getting back on point, if hegkyc can make these alternatives for DCS (and other) sim'ers I'll vote with my wallet and support him. Not because I'm a nice guy, but because I want him to stay in business for me to buy his Replika sticks. If he charges way too much, I won't buy it. If he charges too little he won't turn a profit and will be out of business (I hope not!!). Again, the market forces the correction when needed.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Is this fair business policy by skyrocket realistic price and instead keep market share by quality and fair price NP are doing more effort to prevent competition by repression.

Yes that is my opinion and don't understand such NP policy. Thai is why I'm supporting such effort like Freetrack protokol which is BTW completly legal and it is part of multiple games same as TrackIR protocol.

NP is trying to stop progress. All you knoe that Edison is inventor of light bulb. But how many of you know that Edison invention was never get in commercial use. Real light bulb with Wolfram what is light bulb we know and use today was actually made by Croatian guy called Franjo Hanaman. Imagine that what NP request same principals we used on light bulbs we will still be in the dark. That way you are just bad guy who trying prevent progress. That is why I can't support such guys like NP that is my personal opinion and no matter how good NP product are I will never give them single $ because principle. I cant support such bad behavior and disrespect to the customers from NP.

Well, I think Replika has just received a big boost in potential sales given the announced price of Rift: $599! I was expecting to pay no more than $399 for a consumer release. Can't wait to see the results of your work, I'll be one of the first in line!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The only replacement for a Buccaneer is a Buccaneer".

Wow! Was that expected from the start? I thought it was supposed to be 300-350 like the DKs were?

I think that's what everyone was thinking. It's Palmer's fault really. At least Vive out of the gate said "we'll cater to the upper end"

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

hegykc, have you thought about getting into the custom keycaps business? (I'm assuming your automated tools are capable of producing keycaps).

Apart from keyboard enthusiasts, I think DCS would benefit from some custom keycaps. For example I'd love a set of keycaps that has my DCS commands printed on the front.

Perhaps even in varying colours.

E.g.attachment.php?attachmentid=132344&stc=1&d=1452151151

image_22.jpg.634db71e221c1834a95d6ff0aaf53ff5.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

Good Job hegykc !!! :thumbup:

You are sure to get my order...

Cheers,

Nash :thumbup:

Check Six!!!_:gun_sniper:_:pilotfly:

||R7-2700X||ASUS ROG STRIX-X470F Gaming||GSKILL-TridentZRGB 16GBDDR4 3200C14||CORSAIR RM 1000X||SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX 24GB OC||WARTHOG HOTAS||:gun_smilie:

Hegykc is busy building cockpit mods for the A10. FYI for those who don't follow the pit build thread.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

This is a brand new project. I am building the prototype next week along with my panels and instruments because this uses the same manufacturing processes.

I will post updates as I go along.

The clip has a micro usb so it can be charged on it's own. The camera mount is just a "holder" for the clip, a neat way to put the clip away, it does not charge the clip. Yes you will be able to buy the clip as a standalone replacement.