How to navigate in the Mirage

DarkFib3r

Good video. :)

@ work, can't listen to it so can't comment on the explanations, but view & flying is OK.

Perhaps a few remarks?

- you should raise your seat, it makes it easier to read the PFM & guidance brackets on the HUD

- placing the FPM on the threshold instead of the touch-down = goind under the glide slope on short final

- AoA a bit high when touching down: 18.3° that's too much, tailstrike risk (probably a consequence of 2nd point).

Regards

Az'

LOL. You do need to watch it again when you can with sound on. :lol: He actually points out the things you mention in his dialogue. It is like you and he were of one mind. :joystick:

LOL. You do need to watch it again when you can with sound on. :lol: He actually points out the things you mention in his dialogue. It is like you and he were of one mind. :joystick:

My biggest comments were the procedures of an ILS approach. I actually wrote up a big long explanation in reply to that video yesterday but felt it would come off ass too rant-y.

Key talking points of it were to do a little flight planning to know your safe altitudes to descend to before glideslope intercept, don't chase the needles, stay on glideslope (and don't go below for any reason), plan ahead, and make sure you give yourself enough time to become established on a stabilized approach. Glideslope intercept will always be from below (fly level until you capture glideslope) and you'll normally be on the localizer 10 miles out.

My biggest comments were the procedures of an ILS approach. I actually wrote up a big long explanation in reply to that video yesterday but felt it would come off ass too rant-y.

Key talking points of it were to do a little flight planning to know your safe altitudes to descend to before glideslope intercept, don't chase the needles, stay on glideslope (and don't go below for any reason), plan ahead, and make sure you give yourself enough time to become established on a stabilized approach. Glideslope intercept will always be from below (fly level until you capture glideslope) and you'll normally be on the localizer 10 miles out.

You know, if you made a guide I think people wouldn't mind at all. ;)

Don't have much knowledge on these things myself, so would love to learn.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

I'm amazed his wheel brakes actually worked. My toe brakes seem to have a deadzone that suddenly goes to MAX BRAKE! and even if I'm slamming my left toe break the plane will skid right.

Maybe because brakes are not assigned to axis but you simple buttons. So its either 0% or 100% braking. I don't remember seeing a brakes hydrolic circuit gauge in the cockpit... Anyone?

Maybe because brakes are not assigned to axis but you simple buttons. So its either 0% or 100% braking. I don't remember seeing a brakes hydrolic circuit gauge in the cockpit... Anyone?

They're definitely assigned to an axis, otherwise my pedal toe breaks wouldn't work at all. Perhaps they function as simple buttons despite being axes? Axis inversion also doesn't work logically when compared to toe brake settings on other modules.

Hydraulic circuit 1 is for the brake, among others (and circuit 2 for the emergency brakes, among others). There's an HYD.1 warning lights for this one (pression < 195 bars), and a double gauge at the base of the stick, on the left.

EDIT

Still OOT, but I seem to get some degree of control over the brakes, other than all-or-nothing. You can see it by braking left / right, you can control the steering depending on how much you push on the brakes.

The gauges don't work though, they remain at zero.

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• 1 year later...
Real nice INS navigation video from Jack Flash.

Great tutorial! Thanks Jack Flash!

AMD FX-8350

PALLIT GeForce GTX 1080 [ NVIDIA]

CRUCIAL MX500 1TB SDD

DELL P4317Q 43"

TRACK IR

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Viacom VoiceAttack

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I must have set to on some map difficulty option, since i dont see myself on map as of late. :huh:

This recently created fun adventure. :thumbup:

My INS must have been wrongly aligned or had some kind of malfunction.

Mission was simple ground strike in enemy territory.

In the middle i figured the navigation must be off somehow.... and indeed it was. I found myself somewhere in enemy territory with no idea where i was.

Tempted to just restart i turned it into a journey home.

Tacan was useless since it too relied on wrong info from INS emergency mode.

First time i used that popup auxiliary compass.

Coupled with working radio i found my way home eventually :pilotfly:

Enjoyed myself greatly. :thumbup:

Tacan was useless since it too relied on wrong info from INS emergency mode.

First time i used that popup auxiliary compass.

Hm? TACAN is radio navigation, it does not depend on INS. Sure, the compass may be wrong but it should still show the distance and direction to the station. Too bad it doesn't show a radial... but if there's two stations in range you could still triangulate your position.

More interesting would be what happens with TACAN offset mode. Does that make use of the INS to compute the station position and from there the offset point, or does it work directly on TACAN information? If it makes use of the radial (even if it does not display it) and distance, some trigonometry should yield a direction and distance to the offset point without using any other data.

Hm? TACAN is radio navigation, it does not depend on INS.

But the HSI does.

It could have been showing good data, but on wrongly pointing HSI.

I was tempted to work with it by subtracting degrees and comparing positions with working compass but ATC communication worked + i have been in enemy territory.

I went for the most simple working solution. And it worked. :smilewink:

But the HSI does.

Not if you put it into "Horizon Secours" mode.

(on your right side, is a toggle switch you normally put from down into center position, so your backup ADI can uncage). If you put that switch all the way up, your heading tape and HSI will work on magnetic. Great if your INS is corked (or you don't want to spend the time to align).

Although you mention it already was in "INS emergency mode", which would be just that. I find it strange that the INS would still be off (besides the usual couple of degrees difference between true and magnetic). While the distance from waypoints would be unusable, the direction of your heading should work properly. And since the TACAN relies on radio, it too shouldn't be influenced by it. So in emergency mode + TACAN, you should have a HSI & Heading tape, that are both displaying the same as your backup compass. And a big fat arrow pointing to your beacon, with proper distance showing.

Edited by CrashO

If you put that switch all the way up, your heading tape and HSI will work on magnetic. Great if your INS is corked (or you don't want to spend the time to align).

Although you mention it already was in "INS emergency mode", which would be just that. I find it strange that the INS would still be off (besides the usual couple of degrees difference between true and magnetic).

I didn't know that thank you :thumbup:

...must have forgotten it. I plan on rereading the manual once the final version is out.

I just switched the INS into a Sec on the PSM panel and expected working compass.

I was not aware that backup horizon uncage is a tree way switch and that it does that :-)