Cockpit reference points

humptydumpty

Hi,

I like to fly using reference points on the cockpit specially when banking or climb and level.

I am going to sit now in the cockpit and want those points if anyone knows that.

The problem is even trying to level her properly I find her either nose up or down.

Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC

http://www.avsim.com/pages/1114/mig21/011.jpg

Use the instruments instead of reference points to get an initial set of how to fly the MiG straight.

If you don't know how to read the vertical speed indicator, it is the instrument with a yellow vertical line and a curve.

When the needle is pointing at 0, the aircraft is flying straight and level. There is no upwards or downwards motion.

When the needle points above 0, the aircraft is climbing. One small line is 1 m/s, one big line is 10 m/s vertical speed.

Likewise, if the needle is pointing below 0, the aircraft is descending, in increments of 1 m/s.

Once you have a hang of where the aircraft is flying straight and leven THEN move on to finding the correct cockpit reference points for the same desired flying! Just a better idea than using someone elses "feel" for the aircraft.

http://www.avsim.com/pages/1114/mig21/011.jpg

Use the instruments instead of reference points to get an initial set of how to fly the MiG straight.

If you don't know how to read the vertical speed indicator, it is the instrument with a yellow vertical line and a curve.

When the needle is pointing at 0, the aircraft is flying straight and level. There is no upwards or downwards motion.

When the needle points above 0, the aircraft is climbing. One small line is 1 m/s, one big line is 10 m/s vertical speed.

Likewise, if the needle is pointing below 0, the aircraft is descending, in increments of 1 m/s.

Once you have a hang of where the aircraft is flying straight and leven THEN move on to finding the correct cockpit reference points for the same desired flying! Just a better idea than using someone elses "feel" for the aircraft.

Thanks this should be good. I am ok with certain instruments in the 21.

Yes using someone's reference points would be great.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

Relative position of horizont depends of the speed, and weight, as different AoA is needed to maintain level flight. I guess you can use the fixed net as a quick reference, but nothing substitutes for vertical speed indicator.

wsOPBgD.jpg

HErANSG.jpg

I wish i could modify the zoom in, and to stay in that position

Whenever i start a new game with MiG21, i have to zoom in

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

SAU stabilize will fly your plane horizontal. This will also set your trimming right for the current speed.

It is useless to hunt for a reference point, if you have constantly to fight the stick due to bad trimm.

All other "non combat" maneuvers are done with instruments.

I wish i could modify the zoom in, and to stay in that position

Whenever i start a new game with MiG21, i have to zoom in

You can edit the 03_Views.lua from \DCS World\Mods\aircraft\MIG-21BIS\Entry

If you don't like the huge wide view when you zoom out you can edit line 10 to look like this:

CameraViewAngleLimits = { 20.0, 95.0 },

in my example the zoom in is moved to 20º like most of the planes.

For default zoom level (mission start zoom level) edit line 58 to look like this:

tab.viewAngle = tab.viewAngle or 95

-notice that both max zoom level and default zoom level in my example are 95º this making the default zoom being also the max zoom out, it helps when zoom is on axis.

-use only notepad++ to edit lua files as notepad from windows can corrupt them in case of different encoding.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Thanks, Zaelu.

I wish i could modify this, as well, but i haven't got a clue where the location is.

Just a bit larger...

menu.thumb.jpg.64f5d495617799cf3a87507c4ed62ed3.jpg

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

You can edit the 03_Views.lua from \DCS World\Mods\aircraft\MIG-21BIS\Entry

If you don't like the huge wide view when you zoom out you can edit line 10 to look like this:

CameraViewAngleLimits = { 20.0, 95.0 },

in my example the zoom in is moved to 20º like most of the planes.

For default zoom level (mission start zoom level) edit line 58 to look like this:

tab.viewAngle = tab.viewAngle or 95

-notice that both max zoom level and default zoom level in my example are 95º this making the default zoom being also the max zoom out, it helps when zoom is on axis.

-use only notepad++ to edit lua files as notepad from windows can corrupt them in case of different encoding.

What exactly would this do ? what camera does it change ?

Zooming is not a realistic thing except on instruments because in a simulator it is usually hard to look. In a real aircraft your zoom is limited outside IMO. You are strapped down to the seat and you can't zoom in with your eyes. But again we are flying in a virtual world where it is very very different so the visual will never be like the real world view so yes zooming some could be good.

I am looking for reference points , you know how ? the center window should give me a reference point of the horizon when I am leveled or pitch up / down. When I bank 30 I should know the reference point of the canopy / cockpit without looking at any instruments .

When leveled the horizon should be around 4 fingers above the dashboard and climb should be 2 fingers below something like that.

I don't chase any instruments I use them as reference. I like looking out that's why I don't like night flights :) . I am more of a VFR flyer but do like VMC conditions. So IMC I usually avoid.

Edited by humptydumpty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

Easiest for level flight is the VVI on the aircraft. Another way is to match the AOA from the top right to your HSI by putting the aircraft on the correct position on the heading tape. I'd use the forst method, and confirm with the latter, though. This becomes more of an issue at night than anything else.