Debolestis Shapeways shop

Unfortunately I don't have Cougar, I have older version TQS. I don't know If parts are of same dimensions. If you are willing to make measurements, than I can do it. Just take caliper an measure like in few earlier posts.

Edited by debolestis

I'll have to see once it arrives. I assume tho if the cougar and older tqs are based off the same then it should be no?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Pretty sure they are identical. But I'll post the measurements here when it arrives.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

• 2 weeks later...

I made another tailpiece. This time for old Thrustmaster's gameport joystick X-Fighter.

pye4TXB.jpg

It has 1:1 B8 grip that can be easily installed on Warthog or Cougar. It can still be found on eBay. I bought mine for a few dollars.

Here is tailpiece/adapter:

fXVzqja.png

This grip needs Shift register PCB and few electronic components

cd637bef09217def6d4c5511375431b6.png

and Gardena nut, metal or plastic.

I'll make a tutorial in next few days.

Edited by debolestis

Awesome. Finally something to get for a sabre. Does the pcb have to be mounted in the grip to work with the WH already or is it a separate connection in interface?

No rush. Very excited and intruiged by this. I have an extention on my wh for my pit and adding grips is something I'd like to have an option for. So having a p51/f86 option is a plus. You're not thinking of making grips shells where by an intividual can add their own electronics to are you?

There are a few other TM joysticks with B8 grip from 90s. I think X-fighter is the only in full size. Soklol1 will know better. They all probably have similar tailpieces, so if somebody is willing to make measurments or maybe donate old stick I can make tailpiece for all of them.

There are a few other TM joysticks with B8 grip from 90s. I think X-fighter is the only in full size. Soklol1 will know better. They all probably have similar tailpieces, so if somebody is willing to make measurments or maybe donate old stick I can make tailpiece for all of them.

Tm early B-8 versions - PFCS, Mk.I, Mk.II, X-Fighter is 1:1.

Only Top Gun is shrunk to ~80% - a (failed) attempt to grip teenager market in end of 90's. :D

Tm_B_8.jpg

Pic from IL-2 forum (Ru).

I have one TG there, will measure their adapter to base pole.

BTW - People desiring other jet like grips: - Seems "there's something in the air, beyond airliners. :police: and "F-18 grip, ...". :D Wait...

Edited by Sokol1_br

Thank you Sokol, all those grips probably have same tailpiece. We'll se when you take measurments.

Desiging grips takes a lot of time. I know that people want them, but printing grips wouldn't be cheap and it would require some DIY.

What is most desired grip? I am just curious.

The guy making a mirrored Warthog grip (for left hand in KosmoSim) say in Reedit that print in Shapeways in good resolution cost him more than 600$.

:) I'm that guy (cavortingwebeasties on the reddits, Loc Nar on SimHQ and some other sites...)

The Warthog grip is ~100cc of material across 7 parts. Yes, frosted clear plastic or the back acrylate will cost upwards of $600, possibly more. edit: Sintered nylon comes out to ~$140

This is why I printed in nylon and manually cleaned up the parts using surfacing primer (PCL Polyprimer) before taking molds, which is what I'm doing right now.

Here's some pics of the stock Warthog part next to the left hand trigger cast in the resin/pigment from my first production mold:

Tafeejr.jpg

XhS7Vop.jpg

6Rc4bjq.jpg

The resin is extremely tough, at least as strong as the sintered nylon and I'm very happy with it, as well as the pigments. When I switch to the aluminum version I'll be making, I'm switching my resin versions to match that style as well, which like the real grips from Essex are cast as a single hollowform part with a separate top cap and pinky paddle.

At that point I will be making both right and left grips, and debolestis and I have been working on the side refining the 4-ways (I have a bunch of Omron microswitches to test in them) and coming up with new single buttons, but I don't want to derail debolestis' thread with this.

ps. if anyone has an Otto U2-016 they are willing to sell/trade I need one so I can rev engineer it, since the single-piece grips need this type of self-contained trigger plus they are really cool...

pps: debolestis, I'll get you the M-36x2 threaded shank model in the next few days :)

Edited by Thadiun Okona

Thank you Sokol, all those grips probably have same tailpiece. We'll se when you take measurments.

Desiging grips takes a lot of time. I know that people want them, but printing grips wouldn't be cheap and it would require some DIY.

What is most desired grip? I am just curious.

From what I've seen lots want an f18/ f15 but after that would be kg13 for 109/190/mig.

Hi debolestis; no. The boards are waiting (as well as two Talon grips and all the parts), but I'm struggling to get some spare time- manual soldering of SMD components takes quite a lot even with a good soldering station... I'll publish the report in your Suncom restoration thread as soon as the grips are ready.

Yes, I meant to tell you that. SMD is great but you have to be precise as industrial robot. Is it possible to transform your design with "normal size" trough hole components? It would be more suitable for beginners.

Sergey_Pe said:

Originally Posted by Sokol1_br View Post

Tm early B-8 versions - PFCS, Mk.I, Mk.II, X-Fighter is 1:1.

Only Top Gun is shrunk to ~80% - a (failed) attempt to grip teenager market in end of 90's.

No, this is incorrect. Only X-Fighter is 1:1, all the others are 80% of the real size.

You are right, thank for correct. :thumbup:

Find pictures of FCS - the first Thrutstmaster joystick, with case in metal - and their B-8 is indeed shrunken to ~80%:

https://i.postimg.cc/VNQk80P6/FCS-MK-II.jpg

Edited by Sokol1_br

Debolesis,

I find the Top Gun stick there - but not their grip, then remember that remove then and sell for local Air Force F-5 pilot use in their Ford Maverick as shift grip. :)

Borrow a Tm FCS Mk.II and take measures - is not too precise, need borrow a digital paquimeter. (EDIT- removed irrelevant information)

FCSMk_II.jpgforum image hosting

Measures in inch.

Base on pictures of X-Fighter B-8 in this other topic, FCS adapter is different, smaller.

Wired%20Up.jpg

X-Fighter adapter.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=47293

A thing to notice before get one these, the plastic in FCS is very... "Saitek". :)

BTW - Looks that this Tm B-8 grips is closed to Guardian B-8 MC-2 grip, that have 6.5" high (165mm).

http://markhitcom.mysinablog.com/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=1495391

Tm version (FCS MkII) has 151mm, or is 91,8%.

The X-Fighter version seems based on Otto B-8 G-2 grip, more bigger than Guardian version.

http://www.ottoexcellence.com/products/g2-control-grips/

B-8 3D printed, the result is not better than... Top Gun. :)

http://www.thingiverse.com/make:208308

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:776116

Edited by Sokol1_br