TOP GUN R3 - 2016

Dutch Baron

-- IMPORTANT --

Please check that you are running version: 1.5.3.51417

New DCS update yesterday that we are not going to use.

Don't worry if you did update, Stuge posted a nice guide on how to revert on the previous page.

-- IMPORTANT --

Thank you Stuge!

I've sent out a mail to everyone just in-case they don't see your post.

Annnd Google is now marking me as a spam bot for BCCing so many people lol.

Edited by SkyCap

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just rolled back my update and am ready to go. This is going to be a blast, that's for sure!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

copy that , 1v1 me m8

fly fast , navigate precisely , communicate effectively and you might just drop some explosive banter on some terrorists - Saber

Congratulations Stuge! :):thumbup:

btw next time pls make the rules clear... I was told to fly lvl at 5k and not allowed to pull pre merge ( I was really surprised about that, cuz I never heard of that rule)...and now ppl are saying that this was never in the rules...So whats the point here ?

[100☭] holimoli #13, 100-й КИАП

Lol. After the fight is started (mission unpause) you can do what you like. The only thing I read is not allowed is to deliberately run from your opponent taking him for a tour around the caucusus hoping he runs out of fuel before you do (favourite F15 tactic:) )

Just one dollar question.

Its whrited down " head to head" same speed and same altitude

Before the merge do we stay at same altitude with diferent speeds allowed until the merge or we can go down to the floor ?? i know some pilots do that, i really dont care but could you clarify me ?

If yes ..... then one pilot cant go up , right or left or down and the other , the opposit, then maybe they will never merge !!!! :lol:

Merge = moment of shortest distance between the two fighters.

If one wants to be a real smartass, one could argue the merge can occur earlier if one fighter turns away unexpectedly and manages to increase separation momentarily, thus justifying a head-on shot after that.

But then again, who likes smartasses? :) I don't think this will be a problem.. gentleman behavior is encouraged and hopefully everybody understands the reason why this rule is used, and not abuse it.

The merge is mandatory and that's where one must go once the mission is unpaused. Stalling will be heavily penalized and may cost you the round if your opponent complains about it.

You can run away to build separation before recommiting if things go south, that's a valid tactic, you can spiral up and play full energy tactics that's also valid. The boundaries of the bubble are there anyway to force one to turn back.

Stalling means extending away repeatedly and just avoiding the fight. The referee will review the track if needed and may overrule the result in case of stalling.

Let's just not mix up stalling with defensive BFM.

Of course you can drop altitude, change speed and start to pull into your opponent prior to the merge. If you were told otherwise then that was clearly wrong.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Yes, I had complaints during some matches regarding some players immediately flying low. So we replayed the rounds where altitude would be kept the same until post merge. Later on in the quater/semi finals period the two sides would agree to allow this tactic or not, at least in matches that I refereed.

I personally think this was right, it makes defining the merge much easier when you know both players are at the same altitude and thus allows for better sportsmanship. However it wasn't clearly stated in the rules either way, so I apologise for any confusion caused.

Next time we will have a more definite rule on pre-merge tactics.

Thank you everyone, flawless organization, refereeing, and many worthy opponents!

Special thanks to <51>Teknetinium for an absolutely nerve-wracking adrenaline pumping match!! I haven't been that pumped up for years.

Tacviews from my fights can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hkgrhw0kukoflkn/AADtcIkD22ztrvOhOaWTHJwja?dl=0

I might post my cockpit tracks too, tomorrow... now off to sleep.

S!

Rules say aircraft spawn at same alt and same speed, it has never been mentioned that one must keep level flight all the way to the merge. The only purpose is to make people start on same amount of kinetic energy (speed) and potential energy (altitude) but then once the round kicked off one could maneuver freely as long as he is heading for the merge.

banner_discordBannerDimensions_500w.jpg

Situational Awareness: https://sa-sim.com/ | The Air Combat Dojo: https://discord.gg/Rz77eFj

Yes, I had complaints during some matches regarding some players immediately flying low. So we replayed the rounds where altitude would be kept the same until post merge. Later on in the quater/semi finals period the two sides would agree to allow this tactic or not, at least in matches that I refereed.

I personally think this was right, it makes defining the merge much easier when you know both players are at the same altitude and thus allows for better sportsmanship. However it wasn't clearly stated in the rules either way, so I apologise for any confusion caused.

Umm.. I'm sorry to say but this is not good and actually makes things more difficult because it attempts to force a merge within certain parameters. If this is the case, these parameters must be clearly defined to the details of at the very minimum altitude tolerance (for example 2000m +/- 50m) and perhaps separation distance. Enforcing such tolerances is time consuming, since they should be reviewed from Tacview after every single round to determine whether someone went outside parameters or not. Forcing a controlled merge also removes the possibility of any pre-merge tactics which is an essential part of BFM.

Meanwhile, allowing a free merge style is extremely simple. The definition of merge is the point in time where the two fighters reach their closest distance from each other. This is very easy to enforce because if one fighter breaks this rule, you have a head-on shot which is easy to see. So, I really recommend not to artificially make this a problem when there is no problem.

Whoever complains about going low before merge clearly has no clue about what BFM is about. If you really want to prevent this, you need to set the fight to start so high and so close that diving all the way to the deck is not possible before merging. Or alternatively, set some SAMs below the combat area to act as a deterrent for low altitude flight. These would be reasonable ways to force the fight higher.

Edited by Stuge

Thanks everyone, it was a great gathering of people and the organization from TAW was top notch.

Special thanks to Dutch, SkyCap, OverG, Frostie, Teknetinium and Riptide for some great refereeing.

Once again, we had many people who signed up but did not turn up and many did not even bother to let us know. This is a regrettable attitude, we all know this is a game and RL will.always prevail but remembering that these events require loads of work and preparation from people who invest a lot of time into this deserve at the very least a proper cancellation notification from participants who had to drop out.

Aside from that, we had a great time meeting with many friendly people and looking forward to the 2v2 action next week.

Congratulations to Stuge for his first successful title defense.

Congrats also to Plaiskool for his second final back to back

Congratulations to every pilot who flew and fought bravely in the TG arena.

Edited by FLANKERATOR

banner_discordBannerDimensions_500w.jpg

Situational Awareness: https://sa-sim.com/ | The Air Combat Dojo: https://discord.gg/Rz77eFj

Thank you everyone, flawless organization, refereeing, and many worthy opponents!

Special thanks to <51>Teknetinium for an absolutely nerve-wracking adrenaline pumping match!! I haven't been that pumped up for years.

Tacviews from my fights can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hkgrhw0kukoflkn/AADtcIkD22ztrvOhOaWTHJwja?dl=0

I might post my cockpit tracks too, tomorrow... now off to sleep.

S!

I'm writing on behalf of Tek: Thank you for the great fight and everything you tought me in our training session and matches. It really was a great challenge to fly against you.

Thanks to all TAW guys for organising such a great and smooth tournament. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Tek

Edited by holimoli

yes, pls and no changing of rules during the tournament... I didn't really "complain" during the match and I don't wanna do it now either.

Stuge bascially wrote what I think..No need to repeat myself. It's not that big of a deal for me. It's not that I didn't do any mistakes in the match either. :)

Big thanks to you SkyCap, all the other TAW guys and Flankerator for making this event possible.

Hi and thank you for a great event that was really awesome to be a part of, and even though my killingstreak got brutally ended by Frostie from 51st(Good job mate) I have a comment or two

I would prefer if there was a timer function instead OR together with the Merge rule. Simply because I experienced in one round a total loss of SA when my opponent was not at same altitude as me when we merged and actually had to ask eachother on TS if "did we merge?" I am not sure how far you can be separated from in the merge but I hope that I did not break any rules unintentionally.

Secondly I would love to see if the last round could be a night round or really bad weather ? Not sure if you have tried it before but we could just call it Sensors only Gunround. Maybe start all low and sneaky with no merge rule but in a much tigher area of operation :P

Sadly I had to exit early simply because I was not being VIKING enough. but I could see my self do this every month.

Thank you all for making this a great event ! Congrats to Stuge for being awesome gentleman and brutal killermachine at the same time. I hope for many more rounds to come!

Edited by Tello

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would prefer if there was a timer function instead OR together with the Merge rule. Simply because I experienced in one round a total loss of SA when my opponent was not at same altitude as me when we merged and actually had to ask eachother on TS if "did we merge?" I am not sure how far you can be separated from in the merge but I hope that I did not break any rules unintentionally.

Secondly I would love to see if the last round could be a night round ? Not sure if you have tried it before but we could just call it Sensors only Gunround. Maybe start all low and sneaky with no merge rule but in a much tigher area of operation :P

If you manage in this scenario to lose track of the opponent before merge, you kindof deserve the confusion :P Unclear cases can be instantly verified from the Tacview replay!

Night fight is fun, but is not anymore a BFM contest but a test of search capabilities and especially the rod cell function of the retina of the eye :) Also test of how dark you can get the room.. sunlight coming through the window curtains? Too bad :D

Glad you enjoyed the dogfights, the more people we have doing it regularly the more fun and rewarding times for everyone!

Edited by Stuge

Yes I can read throughout the thread that I simply failed at understanding to use the rule to my advantage. - I had a idea in my head that you had to flyby eachother on same alt.. Well I did end up use my radar in the last one and kind of killed my self with a dumb blackout(I was not disciplined enough)

But next time I am aware of this and will present a much greater threat I promise that. Afterall - I am my own biggest enemy up there ;)

If you manage in this scenario to lose track of the opponent before merge, you kindof deserve the confusion :P Unclear cases can be instantly verified from the Tacview replay!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The better will be matche totally free on an arena bubble at the entering, its just my opinion , and then more realistic and new technics, i understand pilots that are confused.

Think about one pilot going to the first position of the oponent looking for the merge, and the other going out of the line === that mean he dont want to merge !!!! or you are consedering just vertival room ??? for me i really dont care what you want to do to survive but pilots have the right to clarify the rules and surely more pilots going there to the show be sure.:music_whistling:

Edited by =THRUST=

My tracks from cockpit: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u6t0l3tcvqyie7m/AABNe-TRtPwDHHvtzwhLfC0Sa?dl=0

Note that sometimes the view in the replay goes out of sync, you can see this when the view is pointing in a pointless direction, like downwards only looking at instruments, or helmet sight not matching the locking angle etc.. in this case I recommend overriding the view control by using the view keys (numpad default) and looking around yourself ;)

Also, as I play with old school 4:3 aspect CRT monitor, the field of view is different when replayed with a widescreen monitor - upper and lower edges are not visible in a widescreen replay.

Edited by Stuge