Shutdown procedure

Body Farm

So here's what i've done:

1) Turn of fuel flow

2) When rotors are spinning slower, start applying rotor brake

3) Turn off AP, pitot, trimmer, magnetic brake

4) Turn off Gyro, Nadir, RWR, any other system like weapons systems

5) Turn off Radios and countermeasure system

6) Turn off Fuel pump, battery, generator, alternator.

Edited by Mt5_Roie

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

So here's what i've done:

1) Turn of fuel flow

2) When rotors are spinning slower, start applying rotor brake

3) Turn off AP, pitot, trimmer, magnetic brake

4) Turn off Gyro, Nadir, RWR, any other system like weapons systems

5) Turn off Radios and countermeasure system

6) Turn off Fuel pump, battery, generator, alternator.

Excuse me, I don't mean to be rude. But I think turning off the fuel pump should be one of the first things you do. This ensures the engine 'sucks' out any fuel, leaving the pipes as dry as possible. After that, I think you should pull the yellow fuel lever, leaving the rotor spinning a bit. Shut-off the generator and alternater and all electrical power consumers. And then pull the red lever (rotorbrake) so the rotor stops spinning.

I don't have any reference for this, it just makes more sense to me.

Something that is not covered in the start-up mission is that you can switch-off the starter (DEM) switch after the engine is running.

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

So were learning something today. I'm actually working on the checklist that mimics the real Gazelle checklist and I decided to look up, since the steps above was what I just did. so here's the official from the manual method of stopping the engines:

1) Set the controls to neutral.

2) Move the fuel flow control level fully aft. CHECK: the 'ALARM' red warning light comes on. The rpm decreases.

3) Tighten the cyclic and collective pitch friction locks on the aircraft not fitted with the SAS (doesn't apply to us since we got SAS).

4) Return the starter to "OFF' position when the rpm and t4 temperature have stabilized. CHECK: The "STOP" (BLOC) red warning light comes on and then goes out. The "ENG P" (H.MOT) light on the failure warning panel comes on.

5) Set the booster pump switch to "OFF" (ARRET)

6) Wait until the "STOP" (BLOC) warning light goes out, and switch all switches OFF except for the magnetic brakes. CHECK: the failure warning panel lights and all the warning lights on the instrument panel go out.

Next section is how to stop the rotor. Basically saying that when RPM has fallen to 170 or under apple the rotor brake.

So looks like I was wrong in my list, hence why I'm working on the official checklists to be released.

Excuse me, I don't mean to be rude. But I think turning off the fuel pump should be one of the first things you do. This ensures the engine 'sucks' out any fuel, leaving the pipes as dry as possible. After that, I think you should pull the yellow fuel lever, leaving the rotor spinning a bit. Shut-off the generator and alternater and all electrical power consumers. And then pull the red lever (rotorbrake) so the rotor stops spinning.

I don't have any reference for this, it just makes more sense to me.

Something that is not covered in the start-up mission is that you can switch-off the starter (DEM) switch after the engine is running.

Yep working on it. I have most of the standard procedures done, just need to work on emergency ones. Then testing...lots of testing.

Thank you, a checklist from Polychop would be great.
  • Like 1

4) Return the starter to "OFF' position when the rpm and t4 temperature have stabilized. CHECK: The "STOP" (BLOC) red warning light comes on and then goes out. The "ENG P" (H.MOT) light on the failure warning panel comes on.

Question: why would a pilot leave the Demarreur (starter) on after engine has cranked up? Most of the helicopters I've worked on turn their starter off once IDLE NG has been reached and minimum NR is reached.

It's in the bug report to be tested. We'll keep you posted.

Interesting, so why does the engine keep running during flight when I turn the fuel pump and the master switch to off (A)? Is it because your system modeling is not interconnected enough?

Actual checklist has it going back to OFF after engine is started up.

Question: why would a pilot leave the Demarreur (starter) on after engine has cranked up? Most of the helicopters I've worked on turn their starter off once IDLE NG has been reached and minimum NR is reached.

Actual checklist has it going back to OFF after engine is started up.

One problem I see (in DCS) is that doing so will lead to engine shutdown on autorotation simulation; once you pull back on the fuel lever the engine will die instead of staying on 25,000 RPM.

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Why not reduce engine to idle, then apply rotor brake ( at same engine speed it was originally released) and let the rotor spin down and then shut down the engine and all systems. I would think the engine idling would give you hyd press to control the rotor while it is slowing down to a stop. I don't know if hyd plays a part in this or not.

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

Just called my friend who is an RL army Gazelle pilot:

Shutdown procedure:

AP OFF

Collective on tight fricition (not simulated)

Landing projector off and stowed

Transponder, ADF, UHF, PR4G, NADIR off

Keep VHF MA on

Pitot heat, trim, RDR ALTM off

Emer AI caged

CG off

Pos light CLI (flashing)

Anti collision off

Fuel flow lever full back

Engage timer for 1 minute

170 rpm NR: Rotor brake

Once rotor is stopped and blade in the axis:

Pos light FIX (Steady)

Once the minute is passed:

Inverter off

Pump off

VHF off

Pos light off

• 6 years later...

What does "CG" mean?

15.05.2016 в 13:22, Shughart сказал:

Just called my friend who is an RL army Gazelle pilot:

Shutdown procedure:

AP OFF

Collective on tight fricition (not simulated)

Landing projector off and stowed

Transponder, ADF, UHF, PR4G, NADIR off

Keep VHF MA on

Pitot heat, trim, RDR ALTM off

Emer AI caged

CG off

Pos light CLI (flashing)

Anti collision off

Fuel flow lever full back

Engage timer for 1 minute

170 rpm NR: Rotor brake

Once rotor is stopped and blade in the axis: