Startup and master caution

Puma

Hey guys. 100% curiosity based question: i follow the 476th startup checklist, which is in agrement with others regarding electrical startup:

Lr gen,Bat, invrtr, apu, apugen, l engine.

Now, left engine spools up and I get a master caution that the apugen is redundant. Easily silenced and makes sense, BUT I read in these forums an A-10 pilot interview who said that startup and shutdown should never get a master caution. So whats up?

Shutdown is worse and I get a ton of master cautions. Was this a mis quote by him? I figure if you skipped apu gen you might avoid the startup warning but have to wait longer for ac bus power?

Just curious for some thoughts on master cautions during routine ops. #lovethissim

• Like 1

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

If I recall, the pilot in question said they kept the APU running and generating, right until taxi because the engine generators were notorious for tripping out or spiking the volts or somesuch. Might be mistaken.

As for me, my startups and shutdowns are a sorry mess of master cautions. Thinking on it, the way I collect machine gun bullets in the nose and engine fan cowls, my flights are usually a mess of master cautions too. No stranger to the weapon jettison button or the silk letdown. :(

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

What is a silk letdown?

Refers to the silk parachute carrying you down after ejecting. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

ripstop nylon, now. Well, at least the -1 or T10B's were ripstop nylon. Maybe the AF boys and girls still use silk! :)

But "silk letdown" is much better sounding than "ripstop nylon letdown" :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1