Has anyone made the S3 Viking Flyable

• 5 years later...

Good question.  Sure wish we had a S-3 Viking that could also be a scout bomber and world-class anti-submarine platform - not just a tanker.

Just imagine what a theoretical S-3C could do also if she had Scorpion helmets like w/ the A-10C Tank Killer IIs, J-DAMs, conformal AIM-120s, and laser-guided rockets for starters?  Of course, I'd want a gun + anti-radiation missiles + a future laser pod to compliment her torpedoes, dumb bombs, sonobuoys, LANTIRN. and radar.  Who the hell would need the under-armed P-8A Poseidon, but I digress...

Edited by AvgeekJoe

16 hours ago, AvgeekJoe said:

Just imagine what a theoretical S-3C could do also if she had Scorpion helmets like w/ the A-10C Tank Killer IIs, J-DAMs, conformal AIM-120s, and laser-guided rockets for starters?  Of course, I'd want a gun + anti-radiation missiles + a future laser pod to compliment her torpedoes, dumb bombs, sonobuoys, LANTIRN. and radar.  Who the hell would need the under-armed P-8A Poseidon, but I digress...

Because the P-8 has range, where the S-3 doesnt come close. And sure a theoretical S-3 with all that, sounds great, but pretty far fetched. 

• Like 1

The talented VSN modders created a E-2 flyable with FC3 cockpit - so maybe possible?

ED is working an a much improved 3d model & animations, but not sure if modders are allowed to port official aircraft across & add flyable cockpits? But VSN mods look very similar to ED models (but that maybe a testament to their ability 👍)

Hopefully the limited sub base gets expanded in terms of quantity & functionality (like the ability to dive now)

This could provide an interesting & varied sets of mission sets for a carrier air group, especially in a MP server. Where the current traditional FA-18 / F-14 & AV-8B could carry on doing their thing. But could used modded assets to provide dedicated secondary support missions, such as AWACS (E-2 using F10 screen), EA-6B (Electronic Counter Measures) & S-3 (Counter Surface & Subsurface threats)

• Like 1