Recreating Top Gun: Was the Canopy to Canopy Photo Possible?

DutchJackal

Recreating Top Gun: Was the Canopy to Canopy Photo Possible?

Considering poor polaroid camera performance it would be probably still impressive photo. Maybe one of the closest of the Mig-29 USA would had back then so it may even had good value for military. The issue IMO is not technical though. I really doubt pilot would be allowed to take this camera in jet fighter in the first place. Where would he put it? There is no room for it in cockpit. In maneuvers it would fly here and there all over the cockpit and damage equipment and injury pilots. Mainly because of this the scene is unrealistic. Other unrealistic thing is I doubt they would keep distance/speed/direction/angle exactly the same for all the time needed to pick such a photo while combat maneuvers in battle mission. You see in this video it is not peace of cake even when both pilots try to achieve it and that pilot of Mig surely want not to pose for photo. But yeah, do your fun in DSC and try it. You will see it is not that easy as it looks like and you will end with same conclusion as I do, I'm pretty sure :)

The Ancient Fox

Just for reference, this is how close they were in the movie:

Top%20Gun%20Maverick%20versus%20MiG%20flipping%20the%20bird.JPG

I always wondered what happened to their vertical stabilizers :P

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

They were folded, like the Hornets outer wing. :D

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well the F-5 (MiG-28 had a single vertical stabiliser centre and the F-14 had two off-centre.:D

There was actually a real life story of a fighter sticking his nose in a wing man's jet pipe to push him over friendly territory in Vietnam after his engine failed.

It "could" be done, just not as close as it was depicted in the movie.

To be fair, a movie has a rather height-limited frame to work with and they need to show the pilots and all.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Supersonic flight doesn't always break windows. Depends on a lot of variables though. I'd assume ATC tower glass panels are made to withstand a fair amount of abuse.

I watched a documentary about the actual filming and they couldn't go supersonic apparently because it would have broke windows at that altitude.