New MP extrapolator still partially very broken

While the newer patch significantly improved the desync issues regarding angles of attack, gun ammunition and missiles, the gun ammo flight path desync is still so bad that as a dogfighting enthusiast it really breaks my heart. While tracking shots now look somewhat correct, snapshots are still visually incorrect with many "ghost hits". Consequently, these hits are not registered by the game server and thus not reported in the server's Tacview file. Even worse, the old workaround (adding a line to use the old extrapolator in autoexec.cfg) doesn't seem to work anymore.

So my request is to bring back the old extrapolator to the release version until an actual working version is released.

To understand the issue, please watch the server Tacview of my match in the Burning Skies Open Kurfurst tournament:

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=149648&d=1475937836

The issue can also be similarly seen in the stream of the fight:

You will see that four fights took place, all of them resulting in gun hits, visible damage, and a kill, however only in the last fight do bullets visibly hit the target aircraft (and are reported in the log), and even then probably more hits actually occurred than were visible/reported.

Oh and here are good comparisons to what the bullet trajectories and hits should look like like they did before - crisp and clean, with every single bullet having correct hit effect and corresponding damage!:

Edited by Stuge

• 3 weeks later...
I did have an F-15 warping in front of my Mirage in the last Blue Flag. Although it wasn't as marked as before, it still happens.

I think warping in previous Blue Flag was server lag or something, because it only happened when server was almost full or full.

And Stuge didn't mean warping, but desync between clients and server and how one client sees another clients position, for example sometimes it looks like bandits nose is lagging behind you while in reality he is pulling lead for gun shot.

But yeah i agree its half broken at the moment.

I think warping in previous Blue Flag was server lag or something, because it only happened when server was almost full or full.

And Stuge didn't mean warping, but desync between clients and server and how one client sees another clients position, for example sometimes it looks like bandits nose is lagging behind you while in reality he is pulling lead for gun shot.

But yeah i agree its half broken at the moment.

That's what I meant to say!! And yes, BF last round was not having the typical warping, but something close to what stuge described.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Alis Aquilae Aut Pax Aut Bellum"

Veritech's DCS YouTube Channel

I think keeping the W.I.P. extrapolator in game should speed up to development process, if you put it away there will be no community feedback.

What should be done instead in my opinion is to make it even open to the community by giving us updates what's going on with this in particular. Network code is one of the achilles' heels of the entire sim and at the moment we can barely tell if this is some low priority sub project or one of the main development goals they are working on. Yes we can see notes of being updated every now and then but that hardly says much. I applaud the effort put into reworking the whole thing because it indeed created a lot of problems, but maybe the communication between ED and the community can be improved about this.

That's what I meant to say!! And yes, BF last round was not having the typical warping, but something close to what stuge described.

Guys I'm nit throwing rocks at ANYONE I'm gonna ask a question...

Is the Blue Flag Server really the standard were measuring online performance against. Last I read (which admittedly was a week ago) there are signifigant issues with the throughput of a couple of the Internet providers in the region that is affecting the perceived performance of the Blue Flag server.

I'm not saying the issues are not code related but perhaps this needs to be checked against more servers to ensure its NOT ISP related.

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Is the Blue Flag Server really the standard were measuring online performance against. Last I read (which admittedly was a week ago) there are signifigant issues with the throughput of a couple of the Internet providers in the region that is affecting the perceived performance of the Blue Flag server.

I'm not saying the issues are not code related but perhaps this needs to be checked against more servers to ensure its NOT ISP related.

Sierra

the issue is not related to the old know lag from BF. I wanted to explain that I had the same issue, just with the wrong wording :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Alis Aquilae Aut Pax Aut Bellum"

Veritech's DCS YouTube Channel

Sierra

Desync issue isn't server related, it happens on every server from small private training servers to big public servers like Blue Flag and 104th. I think high ping and packet loss makes it worse but it is there even without any connection problems.