A couple radio questions

Bahnzo

Sometimes my radio menu comes up on it's own. One I can think of is on final after asking landing clearance it either comes up during the tower clearance or maybe the low alt warning. But it also comes up on it's own in other situations (another is when my wingman calls). Is this normal? Any way to stop it?

Also: I flew the Smerch Hunt mission again tonight and couldn't contact my wingman. I had it set to UHF 251 as the briefing states, and made sure I was using the UHF radio, but he never responded. I am teaching myself to do the manual startup so maybe I missed something? I followed the startup checklist, so....scratching my head here. What would you check in that situation?

Edited by Bahnzo

Sometimes my radio menu comes up on it's own. One I can think of is on final after asking landing clearance it either comes up during the tower clearance or maybe the low alt warning. But it also comes up on it's own in other situations (another is when my wingman calls). Is this normal? Any way to stop it?

Yes, that's normal and afaik there is non way to disable it. I guess it's supposed to make it easier to respond to radio calls when busy.

Also: I flew the Smerch Hunt mission again tonight and couldn't contact my wingman. I had it set to UHF 251 as the briefing states, and made sure I was using the UHF radio, but he never responded. I am teaching myself to do the manual startup so maybe I missed something? I followed the startup checklist, so....scratching my head here. What would you check in that situation?

Couple of things to check for the UHF radio:

- Radio is on (Function Dial set to main or both)

- Correct frequency is selected. If you manually select a frequency the Frequency Mode Dial should be set to MNL.

- Veryfiy frequency on the UHF Frequency Repeater on the front cockpit dash just, to the left of the HSI.

- Make sure the rotary knob on the Intercom Control Panel on the far left side of the cockpit is set to VHF

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

When I first started DCS A10C and I couldn't contact ATC, wingman etc. on the radios, I

assumed it was a bug in the game and flew around in silence. When I focused in on each

radio and learned how to use them, I discovered that they work every time.

If you call someone on the radio and get no response, you can bet that something isn't

dialed in correctly or is not turned on. What's frustrating is how difficult it is to see the

radio panel in the game.

Yes, that's normal and afaik there is non way to disable it. I guess it's supposed to make it easier to respond to radio calls when busy.

- Veryfiy frequency on the UHF Frequency Repeater on the front cockpit dash just, to the left of the HSI.

- Make sure the rotary knob on the Intercom Control Panel on the far left side of the cockpit is set to VHF

The radio pop up thing is just annoying. I'm noticing it's showing for simple stuff like my wing calling "rolling" which is not necessary. Guess it's one for the suggestion box.

The two radio tips are certainly ones I didn't think to check. Not sure they are mentioned in either of the startup guides I've been using. Thanks!

Radio Comms Text

Don't want to hijack this but was trying to figure out what happened to the radio text displayed on the upper left corner of screen. All comms works fine but somehow I lost that feature and it makes it a little harder to deal with JTAC or airfield controllers. Upper right side is fine.

Anybody know what/where the setting is for that?

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

The radio pop up thing is just annoying. I'm noticing it's showing for simple stuff like my wing calling "rolling" which is not necessary. Guess it's one for the suggestion box.

AI radio text messages can be turned off in one of the game audio settings, I think.

In order to see my cockpit panel text in the radio area and TACAN ILS areas clearly I must have "TEXTURES" set to HIGH...

Not sure what else this affects, but settings also has "TERRAIN TEXTURES" which I assume is for the ground etc...

My feeling is to make visibility of everything in the cockpit a single setting and completely readable. If it affects performance then cut back on the outside stuff a bit... (but that's just an old blind man talking)

Don't want to hijack this but was trying to figure out what happened to the radio text displayed on the upper left corner of screen. All comms works fine but somehow I lost that feature and it makes it a little harder to deal with JTAC or airfield controllers. Upper right side is fine.

Anybody know what/where the setting is for that?

I think you're talking about subtitles for radio chatter. So look for subtitles in the options.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

QuiGon.....thanks, you were correct. I don't know how this was turned off through an update but all good :)

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC