Dumb questions

HoYa

Hello all,

Started DCS about 3 weeks ago and I'm starting to get the hang of it. But I got a couple of questions on the "world" part since I am not a computer guy.

I've been playing 1.5, so today I opened 2.0. No mission editor, no campaigns, my settings were gone, what's up ? Is 2.0 not playable?

All the videos I've seen on you tube have a bunch of aircraft flying around. Are all these placed there by the player or is there a server where you can jump in and there are others playing?

Thanks to all who respond without flaming the new guy !

Hoya

Your settings will not transfer, since they are in a different Saved Games folder. Campaigns are generally not available in 2.0 since they were all written for a different map. The ME should be working just fine though, so I am not sure what problem you are seeing with it.

V2.0 is an Alpha release whose primary purpose is to test the Nevada terrain and it's engine, so many things are not 'live' yet.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

DCS 2.0 is an open alpha software that is currently only a testbed for the Nevada Test and Training Range map, a paid module.

Log in to your ED account via the module manager (little boxes on the top of the screen) and any aircraft you own should download. The Su-25T and TF-51D are included free, but you'll still need the NTTR map to use DCS 2.0

You can copy your control settings by navigating to c:\users\YOURUSERNAME\saved games\DCS\config\input and copying the files & folders there to c:\users\YOURUSERNAME\saved games\DCS.openalpha\config\input.

You will find several public multiplayer servers out in the world, but again, the NTTR map is required. As the map is still in an early state and is payware, you'll find a more robust multiplayer population in DCS 1.5 in the Caucases map most of the time.

In addition to public multiplayer and the single player missions that ship with each module, check the "Missions and Campaigns" forum or the user files section of the ED site for missions or build them yourself using the Mission Editor.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in purchasing the NTTR, however I currently have 1.5.4, I see it says 2.0 is required. I also see 2.0 is in alpha testing. So, my question is am I wasting my time if I purchase now or am I misinterpreting what the E-shop says?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

If you purchase the NTTR now, you will be able to use the Open Alpha (2.0) to play with it. Open Alpha requires a separate install (though all common files are copied rather than re-downloaded) on your hard drive, and is generally compatible with every modules that are out.

Be aware, though, that updates are not necessarily the same, or delpoyed simultaneously between the two versions, and 2.0 (both World and any module) may have some new features that are not yet deployed on 1.5, and vice-versa (these days it seems to me that 1.5 is usually more advanced than 2.0, because 2.0 updates focus on the map, while 1.5 updates focus more on bug-squashing and functionality and modules).

Re: the OP, if you do not have the NTTR map, you cannot use DCS 2.0.

Once you experience 2.0 in Nevada, you will wonder why Ed spend so much time on 1.5.

HP G2 Reverb (Needs upgrading), Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate. set to OpenXR, but Open XR tool kit disabled.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), DLSS setting is quality at 1.0. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC... Everything needs upgrading in this system!.

Vaicom user and what a superb freebie it is! Virpil Mongoose T50M3 base & Mongoose CM2 Grip (not set for dead stick), Virpil TCS collective with counterbalance kit (woof woof). Virpil Apache Grip (OMG). MFG pedals with damper upgrade. Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound... goodbye VRS.

Once you experience 2.0 in Nevada, you will wonder why Ed spend so much time on 1.5.

If you purchase the NTTR now, you will be able to use the Open Alpha (2.0) to play with it. Open Alpha requires a separate install (though all common files are copied rather than re-downloaded) on your hard drive, and is generally compatible with every modules that are out.

Be aware, though, that updates are not necessarily the same, or delpoyed simultaneously between the two versions, and 2.0 (both World and any module) may have some new features that are not yet deployed on 1.5, and vice-versa (these days it seems to me that 1.5 is usually more advanced than 2.0, because 2.0 updates focus on the map, while 1.5 updates focus more on bug-squashing and functionality and modules).

Re: the OP, if you do not have the NTTR map, you cannot use DCS 2.0.

Thanks for the input. Now it all makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

It's also worth pointing out that some time next year 1.5 and 2.0 are going to be combined, so eventually there will be one version of DCS World (2.5) in which it will be possible to chose maps etc. so any purchases made for 1.5 or 2.0 should carry across to 2.5.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.