Cockpit size and scale whit Oculus Rift

piki

Hello guys!

I have flown yesterday for the very first time the MiG21bis in VR with the Oculus Rift. Amazing module. I have noticed that the cockpit size is a bit smaller like it shood be, per exemple in real live (I have allready the occasion to sit often in one RL MIG21 MF). In DCS the switches on the left and right panel are very thin, everything ist a lot smaller, the gauges and knobs also. They look so fragile... I checked , and set my IPD in Oculus again, but no change. Is there any trick too make the cockpit look normal size? Is something wrong with my eyes? What can i do?

Thank you !

Sorry, I have no answers, only more questions :)

Have you tried other aircraft in VR? For example the overall scale of the F15 cockpit is ok. Some switches and stuff on the sidepanels look a little "thin". Also in Race cars I often have the impression that things are not thick enough. In VR this seems like a "paper thin" effect.

I guess it is a very fine balance to make things not too thick and not too thin in VR. There are a lot of factors for the scale everyone experiences.

Quote Vedexent: The technical term for an over ambitious ground attack pilot is "dead".

Quote SiThSpAwN: I figure 1.5 will have to buy some roses and chocolates, take 2.0 to a nice restaurant, and if it opens doors and is a gentleman, 1.5 and 2.0 might just get to merge one day.

Thank you Neldrion ! I´ve tried the F15, you are right, it seems much better. Same with the L-39 and the Mig-15bis. I use a Thrustmaster Warthog and when I look to the VR Throttle in the A10 appear a little bit too small too.

Seems the Mig-21bis have this wrong scale in VR . On the 2D monitor look everything normal. Maybe somebody find a way to correct this. Cheers !

Strange cos I have the opposite problem with the Hawk the cockpit feels too big.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Wow thats really a tight space ! The pilot seems to be thin and justs fits inside :)

I think the reason why in VR scale is never 100% right is because in reality we measure space in realtion to our own body. In VR you dont have that reference and therefore the brain does not 100% believe the scale.

Quote Vedexent: The technical term for an over ambitious ground attack pilot is "dead".

Quote SiThSpAwN: I figure 1.5 will have to buy some roses and chocolates, take 2.0 to a nice restaurant, and if it opens doors and is a gentleman, 1.5 and 2.0 might just get to merge one day.

The height is the height, in VR or RL. If I can lower my head to the floor of the VR garage and then stand up, my eye level should be the same as in real life (I am 185 cm). If my head now is above the Mig21 canopy, something is wrong!

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

Based on some czech KM-1 manual.

The seat vertical height is 1182mm, max width 606mm, adjust range 100mm.

I just did a simply measuring. from cockpit floor to top of seat and reach the canopy is about 1140mm. ehmm close enough for me.

Jet seat base is very very low dont forget that.Don't judge it with your seat. the game definitely didnt go wrong at least mig-21 is not that inaccuracy.

BTW in my contry. Restriction for older mig jet is below 187.

Edited by Insonia

Hello guys!

I have flown yesterday for the very first time the MiG21bis in VR with the Oculus Rift. Amazing module. I have noticed that the cockpit size is a bit smaller like it shood be, per exemple in real live (I have allready the occasion to sit often in one RL MIG21 MF). In DCS the switches on the left and right panel are very thin, everything ist a lot smaller, the gauges and knobs also. They look so fragile... I checked , and set my IPD in Oculus again, but no change. Is there any trick too make the cockpit look normal size? Is something wrong with my eyes? What can i do?

Thank you !

I really appreciate the opinion of someone that can sit on the cockpit of the real one. The Mig-21 gives me that same feeling in VR that you describe. The space is tight, I know, but those switches are just too thin and the gauges smaller than in a Cessna 152.

On the other hand the other cockpits feel a tad big, but at the same time the body when available have strange proportions. And often the rudder pedals are too close (I guess that last is a trick to make them visible, in 2D you don't notice it's wrong). I guess everything related to VR will get more robust with time.

Edited by average_pilot

I have no idea how you achive that.Pretty nonsense to me.:huh:

Simply, in cockpit view, coldstart. I rised my set about 2.2, recenter back into cockpit, and put it on the floor, the view DIDN'T touch the ground.However in cockpit view, the 3D model and texture isn't completed, there is no textrue under there, i cant tell you which part of jet the view on, but it definitely has not touched ground.

The absolute dimension inside canopy i belive it is not inaccurate, just some focus and FOV adjustment issue at most. Overall jet dimension in cockpit view is unmeasurable,no enough space and no texture ingame :P.

The edm shape file can be adjusted in game. No guarantee about VR hangar or something else.

Edited by Insonia

I don't now but I think the problem is how the rift scale the images in VR. The displayed Rift image on the my monitor looks ok, the switches are all normal sized exactly like in RL and like in normal 2D play modus without Rift. I took a picture with my phone directly on the right Rift lens, and one screenshot from my monitor. Everyting is normal sized.

Strange is that I notice this tiny swiches and knobs only when I look thru the Rift. Unfortunately i can't take a picture how I see the small switches thru the Rift.

I think must be someting like IPD settings or maybe the camera setting in the 3D config from each aircraft.

Cheers !

MiG-21MF_Cockpit.thumb.jpg.8643d4ba5a1041ed594e0e92a26d17a0.jpg

1821563816_DCS2016-11-3018-10-47-86.thumb.jpg.4abec640d497416d3fe30d6271c7ca09.jpg

IMG_2329.thumb.JPG.bcbb3341994bc4036c15d32e032e6c0a.JPG

I have no idea how you achive that.

There are mods to put Mig21 in the start menu hangar. I've put mine on Kuznetsov carrier (attached). Then you just get up and walk around. To be able to "lay down" on the floor you must calibrate your Rift in the seated position. So that when you re-center in DCS before standing up, your head will be as far away from the virtual floor as in real life.

VR - Kuznecow Carrier aircraft.rar

Edited by impalor

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

There are mods to put Mig21 in the start menu hangar. I've put mine on Kuznetsov carrier (attached). Then you just get up and walk around. To be able to "lay down" on the floor you must calibrate your Rift in the seated position. So that when you re-center in DCS before standing up, your head will be as far away from the virtual floor as in real life.

It's just a mod! All the settings only affect the VR hangar scene.

transform:scale() changes the shape size or cam movement scale witch depends the parent it follows.

Set cam_level = 1.85 .Put it on somewhere. Go to VR hanger. dont rise rift. Check the cam postion. it's below the canopy.

Then set cam_level = 0 Put it on ground restart the game ,RISE IT TO YOUR EYE LEVEL ,if it goes above canopy. That means hangar cam movement scale is not 1:1 movement .

If cam_level = 1.85 . Put it on somewhere. Go to VR hanger. dont rise rift. If the cam already goes above canopy. That means 2 possibilities.

1 :model offset is too big. Mig-21, i check the EDM scale offset. The Y should be 1.5~1.6 (with LG down)

2: the scale of model you set or mod set is too small. Increase it.

set cam_level = 2.6 should be the same level which canopy(closed) is.

And there's no problem for me.

I didnt check the full movement scale tho.My rift cam got blocked at some angels.

At least it shows the default model scale is right.

Adjust your variables if belive something messed up.

BUt It gives me a idea, insert multiple ships 1:1000 model into VR "hangar”.If there is any bathtub model, Im sure this gonna be fun.

Edited by Insonia

• 1 month later...