F14B can carry GBU12 with TGP?

Torattacker

It is pretty straightforward - the Tomcat's belly (Phoenix) pallets can mount bombs from 500 lbs to 2000 lbs. This allows for 4 hardpoints with a max of 2000 lbs per hardpoint. No MERs were developed, though Grumman took some publicity shots with MERs during the early 1970s before the USMC pulled out of the Tomcat program. It can also carry CBUs on the pallets, but I've only seen that during Operation Southern Watch in the late 90s.

[pic]

Operationally, Tomcats typically carried GBUs (GBU-10/12/16) though iron bombs (Mk 82/83/84) were also carried sometimes, though more so before the LANTIRN upgrade.

[pic]

The F-14B/D's were also cleared to drop JDAMs a couple of years before their retirement.

-Nick

Not quite sure how that answers my question?

Not asking what it can carry, that's been covered already in this thread, I'm after info on how to use what it can carry.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite sure how that answers my question?

Not asking what it can carry, that's been covered already in this thread, I'm after info on how to use what it can carry.

I guess that I'm not quite sure about your question. Are you asking about means of guidance?

If so it is either CCIP or laser designation via LANTIRN. The Tomcat had limited functionality since there was little early emphasis on A-G when the original Tomcat software was being developed. The F-14D may have more options, but I don't know if that was the case.

I'm not sure how the Tomcat interacted with JDAMs.

-Nick

The F-14B (upgrade) and F-14D had the necessary databus to carry the JDAM. An F-14B of VF-143? dropped JDAM in Afghanistan with pre-loaded coordinates in 2001-which is strange because this was prior to the fleet upgrade. F-14Ds had the necessary 1760 databus from day 1. F-14A's never carried JDAM. ALl F-14D and B units carried JDAM by late 2002 and used this in "Shock and Awe" on opening night. VF-31 andVF-213 were upgraded to carry the GBU-38 500lb JDAM for their final combat cruise( same time as the ROVER capability was added).

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

If so it is either CCIP or laser designation via LANTIRN. The Tomcat had limited functionality since there was little early emphasis on A-G when the original Tomcat software was being developed. The F-14D may have more options, but I don't know if that was the case.

I presume he's asking if there are any A2G modes for dropping the dumb bombs in the legacy Tomcats which we'll get in DCS. I think this was already discussed in earlier threads, like e.g. here.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!