Mysterious B-Scope, RADAR, stuff

scaflight

Dear anyone,

How do you even use the B-Scope? The WIP manual says hardly anything about it.

More specifically, when switched to the radar's A2 mode, how do you determine what range and what area is looked at by the B-Scope? And how can you move it around to look elsewhere?

Additionally, are there any visual indicators of how far up/down you've set your MKR gain and your antenna elevation? Since the inputs aren't visually modelled (yet?), there's nothing to go by. The manual brags that both of these have a handy snap-to-middle function that works well for ships, but you're left guessing where that is when all you have are up/down keys. Or did I miss something? From experimenting I've discovered that the MKR gain has roughly 10 steps, but I could be mistaken.

I think the B-scope is focused on your current waypoint, and the antenna elevation has great impact on the image.

But as you say, some feedback on current setting would be nice. Perhaps extra symbology along the edges? I have MKR mapped to an axis on my Warthog so that one works fine, but the elevation is not mappable yet iirc.

http://www.masterarms.se A Swedish Combat Flight Simulator Community.

• 4 weeks later...

The B-scope will provide a somewhat zoomed in image around your current navpoint (circle on the radar). The circle will have to be close to your radar centerline however.

The zoomed in image can be used for making out troop formations for instance. A ship column might show up as a blob, but when you zoom in you might be able to make out individual ships.

You can acording to the manuals iirc, its just not working atm in dcs.

Well that is good news if it indeed should be working. Yesterday I have been practicing radar offset bombing by fixing a nearby radar significant waypoint and then nav-bombing the target waypoint in adverse weather. If the B-scope could be used for good radar fixes, I think AW/N bombing should be fairly practical.

• 2 weeks later...
how do you determine what range and what area is looked at by the B-Scope? And how can you move it around to look elsewhere?

You just have to remember that the red range number in the lower right represents the top of the display and guess approximately what range the contacts are at.

I think the B-scope is focused on your current waypoint, and the antenna elevation has great impact on the image.

It isn't focused on the current waypoint, rather its just focused on what the radar sees like in A1 where the lower edge of the display represents range: 0km (you), and the upper edge represents the range the red radar range indicator says...similarly to the F-15's radar display.

Can I use b-scope to re-position waypoints more accurately over a ground target?

I am surprised you can't do any radar fixes with the B-scope, considering the detailed view it provides. The PPI doesn't offer the precision for really precises fixes.

Based on this part of Ralfi's video:

*GO TO 10:22*

I believe that the early access Viggen was more...feature-complete since things that don't work even now worked in the early access videos. (for instance the roll trim reset button in the start-up & taxi tutorial could be clicked and produced sound while they don't in the current version.) That aside in the final version or at some point along the road we should hopefully be able to change the position of waypoints using B-scope (As microvax stated) for some gloriously accurate BK-90 deliveries. :D

• 2 months later...
is radarfix while in B scope working or is just me being inept?! Got no problem in PPI but would love to use B scope as well

No, it's not currently implemented. You can see it was at one point in the video Ice Cougar posted. Really cool. I'd like to have it for sure. What was the real system like?

Based on this part of Ralfi's video:

*GO TO 10:22*

I believe that the early access Viggen was more...feature-complete since things that don't work even now worked in the early access videos. (for instance the roll trim reset button in the start-up & taxi tutorial could be clicked and produced sound while they don't in the current version.) That aside in the final version or at some point along the road we should hopefully be able to change the position of waypoints using B-scope (As microvax stated) for some gloriously accurate BK-90 deliveries. :D

There is no radar-fix in B-scope in the real plane. This was an inaccuracy in the earlier builds of DCS:Viggen.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.