Avionics on or off during engine start?

Guest IguanaKing

Given all the detail BS is implementing, like the electrical system discussed here, will BS include checklists in the copkpit (on MFDs), that is if the real deal does?

Just wanted to ask this question, since a friend of mine is a recent "VFR PPL". Just asking of all you sim and RL pilots alike, should avionics be on or off during engine start? My friend is not sure of the sequence. Can I get our members to help him?

What kind of pc is used to run whatever software that's on these military aircraft? And how is it able to handle the G?

First of all the onboard computer has its own format, its like the old old MS-DOS kind of thing is all they read, atleast I think still. If I am completely wrong, dont hand my butt to me please lol.

You also asked how the computer can handle a G or high amount of G's, guess what, computers don't pass out, nor do they have blood veins/cells that rush to their heads or their feet so they are online 24/7 with no power outage. Ever seen the movie "Stealth" it is the same deal with the max velocity drop and the high speed pull outthey show in it, pulling out from over mach 1.5 at a rate of atleast 4 G's will make you pass out regardless of your past experience or physical state. I think that movie exaggerates that part though cause once he pulls out of the drop and does mach 4 through the city, boy there would be nothing left of that city not to mention the pilot wouldnt of gotten out of the pull in time before hitting the ground.

Thats only true if the Ground Power Unit has a seemless power-transfer option which is not always the case. A GPU is essentialy build to be able to test avionics without the use of the generator.

The GPU can't regulate the generators' power so if avionics are on and the generator goes bananas, the radio will still be fried.

Thats why God created circuit breakers. And 999/1000 the gen. work fine. And even if they ever go bad they usually just fall offline. Sys. is designed pretty much fail safe. All my years on the flightline I have never heard of a generator frying anything else than itself since the electrical sys are protected.

And Tailhook (Corsair7662), first off I cant believe you referenced anything from the movie "Stealth" and if you really are unsure of how avionics work then I would recommend you ask rather than guess. Most if not all equipment on military aircraft are what we call"battle hardened" meaning they might not be the best technologically speaking, but they can take a heck of alot more input/damage than your normal pc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Heh... silly me. I always thought computers are fragile, but I guess not. They just look so vulnerable. Just sitting there, you know...might have to take a hammer to it one of these days.

Disclaimer: Just so ya'll know. When I say hammer, I don't mean mower. Aight?

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Thats why God created circuit breakers. And 999/1000 the gen. work fine. And even if they ever go bad they usually just fall offline. Sys. is designed pretty much fail safe. All my years on the flightline I have never heard of a generator frying anything else than itself since the electrical sys are protected.

All I'm saying is that IF a generator goes bad, a connected GPU won't help.

Circuit breakers will only help if the fault-detection system deactivates the breaker. Won't be the first time I saw a generator "feed" a GPU with exploding IGBT's and capacitors as a result LOL

About the G's versus electronics; Corsiar7662 is right that electronics don't suffer from G. But there are still electronic part inside with a mechanical component (like relays). For these special and expensive types are used that able to withstand 10G's or more

DELL Inspiron 1564 / Intel Core i3 M330 @ 2.13GHz (4GB)___ATI Radeon HD4330(512Mb)___Windows7 Home Premium 64bit

And Tailhook (Corsair7662), first off I cant believe you referenced anything from the movie "Stealth"....

Thank you for saying that, I've had it with that movie throwing mud on my name. :glare:

errrr.... wha? :huh:

Circuit breaker = fuse = "osigurač", if you will.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Real men fly ground attack :pilotfly: where EVERYTHING wants a piece of you :D

Guest IguanaKing

Its extremely rare, but it still happens. I've seen it happen twice in the last 18 years, fried damn near every avionics item in those two planes. It took me days to get that "fried radio" smell off of me. :D The breakers are there more to protect the wiring more than anything. Most of the time it'll heat up fast enough to pop before a radio gets hurt, but then again, they're not really voltage sensitive. However, I must say that I work on such a huge variety of jets, piston poppers, and helicopters that have all been subjected to varying quality of mechanical maintenance practices. So, in a well-maintained aircraft, like a military jet, I guess the chances of it happening are pretty slim. :)