Sidewinder cueing?

Sealpup

Good news Asla, in that period ( about 1972, when Bis entered service ) 99.9 % of F-5 had no RWR at all, so Soviet SPO-10 was enough good. SPO-15 production start is 1976 together with Su-17M3. Sorry for off-topic.

This is off topic, but...

Yeah, actually the SPO-10 did it's intended job and more. It translates to "painting (hard lock, direct translation was more akin to lighting) warning system 10", so it is supposed to warn you when you are getting hard locked. Thus by also giving you the direction (if you are not being locked), it does more than it is intended to do.

Still, the Western RWR's, by that time, far outclassed it.

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

It has something akin to it. It is called Beacon Radar. It was first implemented on the A-7. It is an active interrogator, when active it will send an interrogation signal that will be answered by similarly equipped aircraft.

In the A-7, the results were displayed in the radar screen. Remember that the A-7 could not use its radar for AA. It was a specialized AG radar.

There is no public documents on how it works in the AV-8B NA since it is a defensive system so very likely it is heavily classified, but I assume that the Beacon works with the Map and the RWR by showing friendly units in the map and tagging the RWR returns as friendly.

So while it won't help you detect enemy aircrafts, it will help you in determining who is friend or foe.

The only condition is that the other aircraft must have the same equipment.

Probably a bit early, but do you imagine the implementation to be like IFF ingame currently? ie simplified and is able to just class everything as friendly or enemy?

Or more restricted like the A10C ability to track friendly A10C via TAD, but no other friendly planes?

The former would certainly be much more useful in MP scenarios.

Also, neat bit of info for the A7, I can't wait for that thing.

Edited by iLOVEwindmills

Probably a bit early, but do you imagine the implementation to be like IFF ingame currently? ie simplified and is able to just class everything as friendly or enemy?

Or more restricted like the A10C ability to track friendly A10C via TAD, but no other friendly planes?

The former would certainly be much more useful in MP scenarios.

Also, neat bit of info for the A7, I can't wait for that thing.

I'll check but I guess it would be restricted to American and NATO aircrafts only since I doubt any Russian based aircraft would have the beacon installed.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."