PIMAX vs. Rift

Scooternutz

Had a chance to test the PiMAX this morning.

1. Picture is a lot better than the Rift.

2. The tracking and performance is complete garbage.

3. Light and more comfortable than the Rift.

Over all Rift is better for performance and tracking.

Looking for any advice on how to get the PiMax thing to work with DCS.

PiMAX requires you to use it with a another track system like TrackIR or OpenTracker and some other device. So put the tracking to another system and then use it only as VR and gyroscopes.

I am interested to get change to try that PiMAX more deeply as it can be the best choice to DCS at the moment.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I would not trade the positional tracking I get with my Rift for anything currently, even if I could get a little better display image. No proper positional tracking built into the device would be a no go for me.

I have an decent size play area layed out for my Rift, that is great for playing some other games as well - makes for some nice short breaks when needed from the rigors of air combat.

When I first got the Rift, figured all I would do was combat flight sims with it. Once I added the Touch controllers that opened up a whole nother world that is pretty cool.

The bulk of my time is still of course with flight sims, but I so enjoy the occasional diversion into the other realms of VR gaming.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I would not trade the positional tracking I get with my Rift for anything currently, even if I could get a little better display image. No proper positional tracking built into the device would be a no go for me.

I have an decent size play area layed out for my Rift, that is great for playing some other games as well - makes for some nice short breaks when needed from the rigors of air combat.

When I first got the Rift, figured all I would do was combat flight sims with it. Once I added the Touch controllers that opened up a whole nother world that is pretty cool.

The bulk of my time is still of course with flight sims, but I so enjoy the occasional diversion into the other realms of VR gaming.

+1

Perfect 1:1 tracking is an absolute necessity for a full VR experience. Anything less and you are jolted out of the illusion.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

PiMAX requires you to use it with a another track system like TrackIR or OpenTracker and some other device. So put the tracking to another system and then use it only as VR and gyroscopes.

I am interested to get change to try that PiMAX more deeply as it can be the best choice to DCS at the moment.

I can't see how it would be the best choice w/o the 1:1 tracking/ TrackIR was always clumsy in terms of tracking but seeing it on a 2D monitor didn't cause any issues. I can't imagine using TrackIR's level of, well, tracking in a VR scenario. It would make me vomit in minutes, I would think.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Totally agree. Glad I am just trying the PiMax and own my Rift. The track and performance is absolutely spot on with the Rift. I just don't understand the PiMax and how it could be a serious contender with that awful tracking. Well, I am pretty much done with it.

I can't see how it would be the best choice w/o the 1:1 tracking/ TrackIR was always clumsy in terms of tracking but seeing it on a 2D monitor didn't cause any issues. I can't imagine using TrackIR's level of, well, tracking in a VR scenario. It would make me vomit in minutes, I would think.

And yes, tried the UH-1H and the M2000C and was sweating bullets in a few minutes with the PiMax. I wanted to puke.

Guys you are out of any movemant in VR.

There is simple and cheep solution for 6DoF using DIY LED light inside pingpong ball placed on stripe on top of the head for positional tracking with PSMoveservice.

Also there is for 8.5$ app called Driver4VR which is actually make it easy to install and working perfect.

This app is also have support for kinect which is working well as well and there is no need to put anything on you. It is tracking your body movement.

So you just have to try it and it is better than trackIR because 1:1 movemant just like Rift/Vive have.

Here some more interesting videos to prove concept and hoe it is done.

I own a Pimax vr and it is a cheap vr headset, not up to standard with more expensive vr set.

First of all, Pimax is not to bad when it comes to resolution, but the lenses are not a good quality. if it is clear in most part of center view, it is rely blurred on edged, makes you move the head a lot more then HTC and other.

No real 6 dof! Only 3 dof, does work, but you need it in a flight sim.

It have some problems with drifting to sides. Needs to recenter a lot. There's a new update that have a magnetic calibrating, maybe it helps. I have not ben able to test it, due to DSC is crashing when I use the mouse!! Disable TOOLTIPS makes it work again!

UPDATE: Better with new software, but still drift.

It have only 60 mHz update frequency!

You need to use it in 1920x1080 and with VR settings in game. Or it is to laggy. Normandy map is killing it...

I did try the Opentracker, but it will not work as a 6dof, it simulates 2 axis as one making you look up and at same time it moves you forward! Or down and back and so on. Opentracker makes the game lagg like hell to!.

There's a thing called NOLO that makes it 6dof, but it cost about 300€!! DIY is far much cheaper to use.

So for now Track IR is the way to go until thing get cheaper and better.

Anyway, VR is so realistic that I think I am in a real plane! Everything is so close to you that you fell the panik crawling on to you!. Amazing!

Edited by Strix

Win 10 64. GTX1080 ti 11 Gb, Intel i-5, 16 Gb ram, SSD 1,5 Tb, 2 Terrabyte HD, Monitor ASUS XG32V 144Hz, Slaw Milans Rudder Pedals BF109F :thumbup:, Joystick - HOTAS Warthog, Throttle - HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR V5. Pimax 5.

I did try the Opentracker, but it will not work as a 6dof, it simulates 2 axis as one making you look up and at same time it moves you forward! Or down and back and so on.

There is simple and cheep solution for 6DoF using DIY LED light inside pingpong ball placed on stripe on top of the head for positional tracking with PSMoveservice.

Also there is for 8.5$ app called Driver4VR which is actually make it easy to install and working perfect.

This app is also have support for kinect which is working well as well and there is no need to put anything on you. It is tracking your body movement.

It is prowen working and it is almost free compared with NOLO and with same performance.

PiMax running 6DoF

I did buy a Kinect for X-Box One and a PC adapter using Driver4VR software with my PiMax 4K and it works great.

Driver4VR is easy to install and makes the PiMax 6DoF! Now I can lean out of cockpit and look down on ground. I can now do all those thing I wanted, but could not do with PiMax only.

Of course, you need a pretty good computer to run VR on DCS. But for the price, it is worth it.

I did pay about 430€ for PiMax, Kinect, Pc-Adaptor and Driver4VR!

https://www.facebook.com/Driver4VR/

Edited by Strix
Update

Win 10 64. GTX1080 ti 11 Gb, Intel i-5, 16 Gb ram, SSD 1,5 Tb, 2 Terrabyte HD, Monitor ASUS XG32V 144Hz, Slaw Milans Rudder Pedals BF109F :thumbup:, Joystick - HOTAS Warthog, Throttle - HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR V5. Pimax 5.

• 5 weeks later...
Is Kinect or PS3 Eye/motion controller the way to go..? Is Kinect as precise as PS3 Eye/motion controller?

Regards

In practice any solution is working almost good as CV1 or Vive. In practice when system is good setup and optimized you will hardly notice difference.

About kinect and PS3Eye solution there is some differences pro and cons but in general end result is similar.

Kinect work is even with cheaper kinect 360 as well only it is more demanding on CPU resources and hand tracking but good for positional tracking.

Kinect is working on 30Hz PS3Eye on 60Hz on high res or 120Hz on low res.

Kinsct don't need any addition on your head for tracking PSmove service need light source for positional tracking. (that light in pingpong ball on top of your head.

PSmoveservice could as well add PSmove controllers for full VR experience in some other titles than DCS. Kinect is tracking your hands as controlers but how good solution this is vs real controlers with buttons I can't tell you.

So this is major differences between two solutions. What ever you will decide it is depend on your personal preferences. What ever you decide it is good alternative and improvement for VR experience with Pimax and comparable with Rift/Vive.