question about Mi-8 radio and distress beacons

Let's say a downed pilot launched a distress beacon at 460KHz and 32 MHz. I am 100km away. Do note that mission creator didn't set any channels on any radio.

What would be the way to find him?

1. 1. R-863. Not sure if it is helpful here.

2. YaDRO-1A. Looks like it works on very very low MHz range (2 - 17.999 MHz). Not usable.

3. R-828. Seems to be working on preset frequencies. Not helpful.

4. ARK-9. Yes, this works at KHz frequencies.

5. ARK-9UD. Not helpful here.

Are my findings right or am I missing something?

Edited by muamshai

This space is available for your advertisement

Correct. "Channel" based aircraft cannot alter those channels in-flight. IRL, they'd have agreed upon the correct list of channels before starting the mission.

awesome. Thanks for the clarification. :thumbup:

I asked because, to the best of my knowledge, emergency locator transmitters generally operate on either 121.5 MHz (standard international emergency frequency for civilian aviation), 243 MHz (military) or 406 MHz (modern digital transmitters). Your ARK-UD is meant specifically to home on ELTs and it has the first two frequencies preset.

If your server host insists on using 460 kHz (probably because that means more DCS aircraft can home on it) then yes, you could use the ARK-9 radio compass.

Edited by lmp

I asked because, to the best of my knowledge, emergency locator transmitters generally operate on either 121.5 MHz (standard international emergency frequency for civilian aviation), 243 MHz (military) or 406 MHz (modern digital transmitters). Your ARK-UD is meant specifically to home on ELTs and it has the first two frequencies preset.

If your server host insists on using 460 kHz (probably because that means more DCS aircraft can home on it) then yes, you could use the ARK-9 radio compass.

Thanks for the info. Learned something new. :thumbup: Wonder if it is implemented in the module. Might be no since it is not that much of a need.

There is a discussion about beacons fixing in Open Conflict server. Now before going ahead, it would be nice to know the differences of these radio sets, and why so many are needed etc.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3234122&postcount=2721

The ARK-UD beacons work great and very easy to use. You just do a ONCE trigger with a condition of time(more) 10, then radio transmission/beacon. AM. use a sound like beacon.ogg or something.

Set the freq to one of the pre-set channels from the manual.

I've yet to get an ARK-9 beacon working with the same technique. For some reason the beacon does not create.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

Homing can also be done on the R-828.

Set a unit in the mission editor, advanced waypoint, transmit radio on a frequency corresponding to one of the R-828 frequencies. Set power to 100 and loop continuously.

Now, activate the R-828, set to compass instead of normal and your HSI needle will point to the radio beacon and will "follow" if the unit moves.

A video of this can be found here:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo