Landing run , NWS issues.

DaveRindner

I watch the "Grim Reapers" on YT who fly DCS aircraft and go for realism and planning out difficult missions. They fly all the aircraft and some no doubt have hundreds if not thousand of hours.

On their latest air to ground large mission that involved F-5s I watched some land all yup, all over the place. Some at less than 50, chute out and right about when you would start braking being fish tailing with the back end wanting to swap ends.

Not going to post any more on it unless I come up with setting that work or some method that works every time. Not particularly use to leaving staying on the runway to chance.

BTW- I will dble check but iirc when I set the brakes and press them I can see the bar move back and forth. It does not appear to snap on and off. Have not flown in a week but will soon and see what is going on. Thanks for the reply and info. Jim

Yeah i'm pretty sure hardcore simmers with 100s of hours can land an f-5 so take what you find in youtube with a bit of salt...

The f-5 we have doesn't have antiskid brakes so when brake pressure is above a certain value depending on your speed the brakes lock up, releasing brake pressure helps unlock the brakes and you to stop skidding, so nothing is wrong with your axis or slider just be gentler with the brakes or fine tune the curves if you find that helpful.

Admittedly the f-5 might need some curves adjustment on many setups as control inputs are a tad oversensitve accross the range on all axis...

Guys, its pretty simple. At taxi speeds (0-20knots) use NWS, 20 - 50ish (until rudder starts working) use differential braking (carefully) and after that the rudder will work.

When you land, land gently on the centreline, let the chute come out and just let it roll until the rudder doesn't work anymore, then differential brakes then NWS once it is slow. I promise you'll crash a real one if you try to NWS at 100knots too.

Guys, its pretty simple. At taxi speeds (0-20knots) use NWS, 20 - 50ish (until rudder starts working) use differential braking (carefully) and after that the rudder will work.

When you land, land gently on the centreline, let the chute come out and just let it roll until the rudder doesn't work anymore, then differential brakes then NWS once it is slow. I promise you'll crash a real one if you try to NWS at 100knots too.

Couldn't agree more :thumbup:

To be honest I'm not sure where the issues are coming but they look to be pilot related. Haven't experienced problems with F-5, maybe because I fly the Russian aicrafts more so I'm used to diff breaking and don't use the NWS for other purpose than taxi. On top of that there is always a possibility to modify the curvature for rudder peddals.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

One thing I always do with my rudder pedals is put in a small dead zone. I noticed a long time ago that I inadvertently put weight on one pedal or the other constantly, which in a plane like the F-5 would absolutely have an affect on take off and landing rolls. I use a value of 5, it seems to work fine for me. I never seem to have any issues keeping this plane under control, try it out!!

Turn on CC for English. Landing at approx 11:40

This user took the time to do some 20 or so "how to" videos on all aspects of operation. Once must assume he has a lot of stick time. This is his HOW TO PERFORM a proper landing in this plane so I watched very carefully to see how it is supposed to be done and correct my mistakes which judging from some post I had to have been making . Watch a real pro do it especially the phase of chute,braking to stop.

Edited by JIMJAM

[…]

I'm having a hard time to tell if you're being ironic as the link provided demonstrate a landing without using the chute and the video closing on the infamous skid phenomenom.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC