Announcing the DCS-BIOS Discord Server (and some thoughts on the future of DCS-BIOS)

FSFIan

Hi everyone,

DCS-BIOS now has a Discord server: https://discord.gg/29mF3Xn

I'll try to monitor this whenever I can. I invite you to hang out there while you work on your simpits, nag me about bug reports I have missed, or pick my brain about DCS-BIOS, Arduino boards and digital electronics in general.

As some of you have probably noticed, the pace of DCS-BIOS development has gradually ground to a halt over the last year or two and my response times to questions have gotten worse. Long story short: I lost any enthusiasm I had to think about formal topics that I could not apply in practice and studying Computer Science got frustrating and depressing as a result. Since I already had my BSc degree, I decided to stop working on my Masters degree and get a job. Since the beginning of October I am working full time doing 2nd level support for a web hosting company.

Here's what this means for DCS-BIOS:

• The quality of the time I get to spend on DCS-BIOS has improved, because my day job does not involve programming anymore so it is not competing for the exact same brain resources I need to work on DCS-BIOS. When I am at home, I get to do whatever I am awake enough to do instead of worrying about some upcoming exam or unfixed bug.
  • The amount of time I get to spend on DCS-BIOS has decreased, and I only get longer uninterrupted time slots on weekends and holidays.

The most fun I had with DCS-BIOS has always been talking to WarHog using TeamViewer or Skype, discussing the circuits and Arduino sketches for different panels. This also happens to be something I can still do reasonably well after an 8-hour work day.

I want to talk to more of you more often. A lot of problems are also easier to solve in an interactive conversation than over a web forum.

Discord has released a screen sharing feature recently. This offers an easy way to transition from a public voice chat room into a direct message with video chat or screen sharing, which can come in handy to track down bugs that I cannot reproduce on my machine.

I'll try to hang out on that Discord server after work and on the weekends whenever I can.

This week and the next I am on early shift, so "after work" means somewhere between 15:00 and 19:00 UTC.

Otherwise the typical "after work" times will be between 18:00 and 22:00 UTC.

I plan to get some version of DCS-BIOS 2.0 finished and released before the end of 2018. I have gotten used to the new job by now, have cleaned up my desk to the point where I have space for some electronics again, and plan to get a look at some of the outstanding bugs on the weekend.

• Like 1