MiG-35 and MiG-29SMT presentation

Alfa

Ah, but the Falcons are also likely to have been a good bit more expensive. IMHO the SMT upgrade has some merit for Poland even now, with the F-16s, the added air to ground capabilities might enable them to get rid of the Su-22s which surely can't be cheap to operate.

Ah, I see - you may have a good point there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_7884_sm.jpg

These are reported as receivers of a new laser warning system, I remember we discussed before what they might be.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Does anyone have details on the OLS-K lower hemisphere IRST and the system's sensors' FOV, magnification etc? How does it compare to conventional podded systems?

Partly I know a bit about this OLS, there IK and optical channel, according to some people, that with this OLS radar in principle and not needed quite :)

Открылась бездна звезд полна;

Звездам числа нет, бездне дна. (М. В. Ломоносов)

thought the blowpipe was steered manually, no lasers. Does the Mig-29/Su-27 have a laser rangefinder on the EOS?

I don"t think you'll be worried about a battle field laser lighting you up, think your eye balls would pop before you get to look and your warning indicator.

The laser warning should be useful against laser ranging systems on a/c such as the MiG-29/Su-27, EO targeting systems for SAMs and AAA, and against the blowpipe MANPAD.

ahh found one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starstreak

This would be nice to see chasing a few low flying migs in lockon :)

thought the blowpipe was steered manually, no lasers. Does the Mig-29/Su-27 have a laser rangefinder on the EOS?

I don"t think you'll be worried about a battle field laser lighting you up, think your eye balls would pop before you get to look and your warning indicator.

No, that's not necessarily the case - your canopy or visor could be polarized to protect your eyes for one, and it might also be the case that the laser doesn't reach your eyeballs at all. Though I'm not sure you could really do anything about it even if you did detect it ... holding the beam on the aircraft is theoretically pretty easy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Does the Mig-29/Su-27 have a laser rangefinder on the EOS?

Yes, they do. It serves to measure the range to airborne target within 10km. It is much more precise than the radar in that job and helps for "stealth" attack, if the target isn't equipped with LWS like that MiG. The bandit won't receive any radar warning. This is modeled in LO BTW, can't be sure how realistic though because now we can lock a terget with the EOS at more than 10km which means that the EOS will call the slaved radar for range measurement, which means it will emite. Very short pulses but they are still there and should be detected by modern RWS... Now we don't get any warning in LO in such situation.

EDIT: The laser range finder works also in all A2G modes- CCIP, CCRP, unguided rockets, cannon and imelman bomb drop.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

The EOS in all Russian a/c, MiG-23 onwards has a laser rangefinder.

Sorry, the Blowpipe uses MCLOS, but starburst and starstreak are laser beam riding SAMs.

The EOS in all Russian a/c, MiG-23 onwards has a laser rangefinder.

Onward but excluding the MiG-23. The TP-23ML and TP-26Sh that are used in the 23ML and MLD don't have laser rangefinders, the radar is the only range source.

=RvE=

Onward but excluding the MiG-23. The TP-23ML and TP-26Sh that are used in the 23ML and MLD don't have laser rangefinders, the radar is the only range source.

Are u sure about this? I read somwhere that -23 IRST had a laser rangefinder, though I may be wrong. Was the IRST in the MiG-25PD/PDS (-25P did not have one) any different from that of the -23?

Yes I can say I'm pretty sure about this. I have solid sources about that- a documentary book by a former bulgarian MiG-23 pilot with a lot of technical data and description there.

About the second part- I think the MiG-25(either version) doesn't have an EOS at all.

=RvE=

Well the MiG-25PD might have an EOS but I can't state it for sure from this picture. I trust my sources about the MiG-23 but for the 25PD I have none reliable.

=RvE=

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have details on the OLS-K lower hemisphere IRST and the system's sensors' FOV, magnification etc? How does it compare to conventional podded systems?

687f2f68ed28d206.jpg

8ab9085c13b95b76.jpg

OLS-UEM

7a44f3c8d5eb650cm.jpg

OLS-UEM wykrywa i automatycznie sledzi cele powietrzne i pokazuje pilotowi obraz do rozpoznania. W sklad wchodzi kamera termowizyjna z matryca 320x256 elementow oraz kamera telewizyjna 640x480. Oslona kamer jest wykonana z Leukoszafiru. Lustro skanuje przestrzen w zakresie +/- 90* w azymucie oraz -15/+60* w kacie podniesienia. Cel jest wykrywany w odleglosci 45km z tylnej polsfery i 15km z przedniej. Dalmierz laserowy pracuje w dwoch trybach. Treningowym (bezpieczny dla oczu) i bojowym, mierzy odleglosc w zakresie 200m do 15km. Stacja wazy 78 kg i miesci sie w wnece starej stacji OLS-29. Indyjskie MiG-29KUB otrzymaja nieco prostsza wersje OLS-UE.

OLS-K

70610ec2d20608cfm.jpg

OLS-K sluzy do wykrywania i sledzenia celow naziemnych, wykrywa czolg z odleglosci 20km a kuter rakietowy z 40km. Laser ma zasieg 20km. Stacja wykorzystuje ta samoa technologie co OLS-UEM. Stacje zostaly wykonane przez Instytut NII PP, przedtem wykonujacy urzadzenia dla przemyslu kosmicznego (optyka).

SOAR

3db790ea5cf870ccm.jpg

c49d4b2f35c4e1d7m.jpg

W sklad zestawu wchodza dwie stacje, jedna na gondoli silnika a druga na grzbiecie kadluba za kabiną. Stacja wykrywa fakt odpalenia rakiety oraz wskazuje kierunek z jakiego nadlatuje. Zagrozenie jest takze podawane w formie glosowej. Stacja wykrywa rakiete klasy Stingera/Igly z odleglosci 10km, rakiety pow-pow z 30km a duzej rakiety przeciwlotniczej z odleglosci 50km. SOAR tez powstal w instytucie NII PP.

SOLO

9cfc2fcd35586905med.jpeg

Laserowa stacja ostrzegawcza SOLO pokrywa kierunek w 360* Wykrywa laser oswietlajacy samolot z odleglosci 30km z dokladnoscia do 0,5*

ELT/568(v)2

b8de7451c94c56a3m.jpg

Jest to urzadzenie wloskiej Elettronici. Stacja pokrywa pasmo czestotliwosci H-J (czesc wbudowana) i E-G (czesc kontenerowa)

Source:

Piotr Butowski ''Nowe sensory MiGa-35''

Nowa Technika Wojskowa 03/2007

Meaby GGTharos/Poko24/Groove/Someone translate?

Give me "flying telephone pole" (SA-2)!

OLS-UEM

7a44f3c8d5eb650cm.jpg

OLS-UEM wykrywa i automatycznie sledzi cele powietrzne i pokazuje pilotowi obraz do rozpoznania. W sklad wchodzi kamera termowizyjna z matryca 320x256 elementow oraz kamera telewizyjna 640x480. Oslona kamer jest wykonana z Leukoszafiru. Lustro skanuje przestrzen w zakresie +/- 90* w azymucie oraz -15/+60* w kacie podniesienia. Cel jest wykrywany w odleglosci 45km z tylnej polsfery i 15km z przedniej. Dalmierz laserowy pracuje w dwoch trybach. Treningowym (bezpieczny dla oczu) i bojowym, mierzy odleglosc w zakresie 200m do 15km. Stacja wazy 78 kg i miesci sie w wnece starej stacji OLS-29. Indyjskie MiG-29KUB otrzymaja nieco prostsza wersje OLS-UE.

OLS-UEM can detect & track air targets automatically. It consists of IR camera with matrix 320x256 and TV camera 640x480. Their cover is made from leucosapphire. The mirror scan the air space of +/-90 degrees horizontally and -15/+60 deg vertically. Target can be detected from 45 km (rear hemispere) and 15km (front). Laser rangefinder work in two modes. Training (safe for eyes) and combat, in a range from 200 m up to 15 km. The station weigths 78 kg and is mounted in the same bay as the old OLS-29 was. Indian MiG-29KUB will receive a bit simplier OLS-UE version.

OLS-K

70610ec2d20608cfm.jpg

OLS-K sluzy do wykrywania i sledzenia celow naziemnych, wykrywa czolg z odleglosci 20km a kuter rakietowy z 40km. Laser ma zasieg 20km. Stacja wykorzystuje ta samoa technologie co OLS-UEM. Stacje zostaly wykonane przez Instytut NII PP, przedtem wykonujacy urzadzenia dla przemyslu kosmicznego (optyka).

OLS-K is designed to detect and track ground targets, it detects tank from 20km, rocket boat from 40km. Laser has range of 20km. System use the same technology as OLS-UM. It was made by NII PP institute, which previously made opical devices for space industry.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

SOAR

3db790ea5cf870ccm.jpg

c49d4b2f35c4e1d7m.jpg

W sklad zestawu wchodza dwie stacje, jedna na gondoli silnika a druga na grzbiecie kadluba za kabiną. Stacja wykrywa fakt odpalenia rakiety oraz wskazuje kierunek z jakiego nadlatuje. Zagrozenie jest takze podawane w formie glosowej. Stacja wykrywa rakiete klasy Stingera/Igly z odleglosci 10km, rakiety pow-pow z 30km a duzej rakiety przeciwlotniczej z odleglosci 50km. SOAR tez powstal w instytucie NII PP.

System consist of two stations, one on engine's gondola, second on the top of the fuselage, behind the cabin. It detects rocket launches and shows the direction from which the missile is coming. The threat is also signalled by vioce. It can detect Stinger/Igla from 10km, a2a missiles from 30km, big surface to air missiles from 50km. SOAR was also developed in NII PP Institute.

SOLO

9cfc2fcd35586905med.jpeg

Laserowa stacja ostrzegawcza SOLO pokrywa kierunek w 360* Wykrywa laser oswietlajacy samolot z odleglosci 30km z dokladnoscia do 0,5*

Laser warning system SOLO cover the area of 360 degrees. It can detect laser which is illuminating the plane from 30km with 0.5 degree accuracy

ELT/568(v)2

b8de7451c94c56a3m.jpg

Jest to urzadzenie wloskiej Elettronici. Stacja pokrywa pasmo czestotliwosci H-J (czesc wbudowana) i E-G (czesc kontenerowa)

It was made by Italian Elettronici. System cover the frequencies from H to J (built-in part) and E to G (container part)

Source:

Piotr Butowski ''New sensors of MiG-35''

Nowa Technika Wojskowa 03/2007

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro