OT: Pratt & Witney TF-30

Part of my flight propulsion course requires that I write a report on a gas turbine engine. Being a lover of the F-14 I have chosen to discuss the Pratt & Witney TF-30, which powered (or rather, underpowered) the F-14A. Even though the GE F-110 was the engine that really made the F-14 shine, I decided not to report on this engine as it is still in widespread use and I expect information on it to be much harder to come by.

I'm now in the process of gathering as much information about the TF-30 as possible. I know there are many knowledgeable and connected people frequenting these forums so I figured it would be a good place to ask for help. If anyone has any links, images, or knows of any books with information pertaining to this engine please don't hesitate to post them, they will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

AJ

Guest IguanaKing

I don't have much information to offer you on the TF-30, or any engine for that matter. But, for a wealth of good, publicly available information and an excellent history, have you considered the J79? I know...might be overdone though, but its no longer in widespread use.

Just a suggestion for your topic of research, no info to offer myself.

Have you tried PMing Jewels over at the ubi forums about the TF-30? He might have some insights on that from a pilot's POV. I'm pretty sure you'll have to PM him over there though, he doesn't come to the public forums much anymore.

Why the TF-30 though, why not just the beastier F110-GE?? You can get a whole lot more information on that.

Even though the GE F-110 was the engine that really made the F-14 shine, I decided not to report on this engine as it is still in widespread use and I expect information on it to be much harder to come by.

SU-30MKI

simvavatarhornetqg8.jpg

F/A-18F

...Beauty, grace, lethality.

Part of my flight propulsion course requires that I write a report on a gas turbine engine. Being a lover of the F-14 I have chosen to discuss the Pratt & Witney TF-30, which powered (or rather, underpowered) the F-14A. Even though the GE F-110 was the engine that really made the F-14 shine, I decided not to report on this engine as it is still in widespread use and I expect information on it to be much harder to come by.

I'm now in the process of gathering as much information about the TF-30 as possible. I know there are many knowledgeable and connected people frequenting these forums so I figured it would be a good place to ask for help. If anyone has any links, images, or knows of any books with information pertaining to this engine please don't hesitate to post them, they will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

AJ

Two Pratt & Whitney TF30-PW-414 afterburning turbofans

Rating: 20,900lb (9,480kg) in afterburner

F-14A Tomcat Max. speed 1.2 at low level; Mach 2.34 at altitude.

Upgraded F-14D - F110: 29000lb (13154kg) thrust

source: Just a little old book

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

Guest IguanaKing

Oh, just remembered, have you considered researching the J58? Now THAT would make for an interesting report. Not sure how much info you could get on it though.

Oh, just remembered, have you considered researching the J58? Now THAT would make for an interesting report. Not sure how much info you could get on it though.

Quite a surprising amount - I was bored over my year in industry and looked it up.

Look here for a start:

http://aerostories.free.fr/technique/J58/J58_01/page8.html

edit - I can only find the first part of that article in English - but if you click the PDF link at the top, you can get the technical section, as a .pdf, in French. If you're feeling brave, then there's some good stuff in there. 16 pages of it ;)

"SR-71 - The Secret Missions" by Paul Crickmore might have more - it's a wealth of information on the Blackbird. I know there's a copy in my Uni library - you checked yours?

The really interesting part is the intake system. You can find stuff on it, but for supersonic VG intakes the Olympus and associated nacelle arrangements are probably easier to find stuff on.

Disso what do you have against the TF-30 or F110-GE's? OHH sry your a Super BUG fan......:disgust: :thumbdown: :megalol:

he didnt comment on that in any way, all he did was quote the ORIGINAL post because you hadnt read it properly, hence your question in your previous post.

All the best,

Flip

madrebel.png

sig.jpg

"Imagine the reason that people hold on to

hatred so stubbornly is because if the hate

is removed, the pain will set in. Do not follow where

the path may lead. Go instead where there is

no path and leave a trail."

Hey AJ when I took my jet engine design class we used a book called Jane's All the Worlds Engines (i think that is what it was called). It has a WEALTH of very detailed information on every jet ever made (I'm not joking). It has pictures and specs, and I would trust it over any o ther source. It is a huge volume and they put out a new one every year. A large local library might have a copy, but your best bet would be a university library that has an engineering department. You might be able to visit Jane's online and get info from there ( htink it costs money though). You might find some white papers online that you can buy too... I think there is a website that has a collection of declass Pentagon papers you can buy. But honestly I would start with the Janes over anyhting else.... Hope this helps...

I love my job :pilotfly:

Corsair what is wrong with you? Don't know how you made it through school or even got through 5 minutes in a bar always trying to pick fights like that?

Nobody even asserted you in anyway in regards to the Tomcat, and yet you choose to type out a paragraph of bullsh*t arguing against nobody and against nothing?

You have much to learn, try to suck it up in wake of your ignorance. But then again, this kid won't understand my reply and what I'm trying to state, and type out another few paragraphs of random words regarding the Tomcat's supreme dominance of the Hornet in his own little bubble..

SU-30MKI

simvavatarhornetqg8.jpg

F/A-18F

...Beauty, grace, lethality.

Take 5 super hornets on one tomcat and guess what...tomcat win every time. UH its call "AIM-54" genius, and oh you will say Uh Super hornet "Aim-120" guess what... WHICH HAS MORE RANGE!!!!! man your freaken retarded, im sorry but you dont know how many people on these forums hear and think what they want about their Russian rust buckets and hornets. PEOPLE ARE SICK of it!:disgust:

The ONLY thing compared to the Tomcat is the Raptor! My passion set a-side

GodDAMN you keep proving to me time and time again how stupid you can get. Im going to do something unprecedented in history here. Im gonna put you on ignore simply because not only are you dumb and revolting, but your killing my capacity to learn something new at school. I am dumber by 5% having listened to that rubbish and I hope to god I can fully recover from that.

For the record I love the MiG-29 and rather have it than the F/A-18E OR the weak lame assed rustbucket F-14x with the vaunted (but locked down in storage for 15 years and hardly maintained) Aim-54x. Take your stupid somewhere else. Don't infect the rest of the forum members with it.

Good god, man...

Holy crap I will give you my commanders number and I will let an experienced Eagle driver tell you how he and his Ealge buddies walk all over F-14's. THey have a name for them.... I think they called the tomcat's grapes or something like that, cause they were a big juicy targett.

I love my job :pilotfly:

For the record I love the MiG-29 and rather have it than the F/A-18E OR the weak lame assed rustbucket F-14x with the vaunted (but locked down in storage for 15 years and hardly maintained) Aim-54x. Take your stupid somewhere else. Don't infect the rest of the forum members with it.

So lets compare the MiG-29 to the F-14 than. Uh the mig is like double the maintanence time and cost of the tomcat, can only carry 6 weapons/1 tank or 4 weapons/3 tanks, and can only travel 300 miles and then land to refuel. there its finished.:megalol: theres nothing about a mig that makes it a great jet. Dont get me wrong, I like it and fly it on lomac some times but theres not much about it to make it interesting...just the little so called cobra menuver...

So lets compare the MiG-29 to the F-14 than. Uh the mig is like double the maintanence time and cost of the tomcat, can only carry 6 weapons/1 tank or 4 weapons/3 tanks, and can only travel 300 miles and then land to refuel. there its finished.:megalol: theres nothing about a mig that makes it a great jet. Dont get me wrong, I like it and fly it on lomac some times but theres not much about it to make it interesting...just the little so called cobra menuver...

Ive consistently disregarded your information. You claimed the -54 has a range of 280 miles. With that said...stow it, Bruno. Im not interested in the crap your selling. It stinks, its brown and squishy, and ice cream may do miracles for it, but it doesnt do much for the ice cream.

i can't believe it. This kid really ruins the forum (not commenting on my own behaviour :D )

Flip

madrebel.png

sig.jpg

come again?:chair: how am I childish when you just replied with this

Im a kid alright!. You just started it with that comment smart one:smartass:

OH so your little bug will own a cat? it would be the same thing as the experiment with the F-22, the USAF got their best F-15 pilots they could find...took on the F-22 and the 22 owns the living crap outta the Eagles, and the Eagles are kick butt jets! Take 5 super hornets on one tomcat and guess what...tomcat win every time. UH its call "AIM-54" genius, and oh you will say Uh Super hornet "Aim-120" guess what... WHICH HAS MORE RANGE!!!!! man your freaken retarded, im sorry but you dont know how many people on these forums hear and think what they want about their Russian rust buckets and hornets. PEOPLE ARE SICK of it!:disgust:

The ONLY thing compared to the Tomcat is the Raptor! My passion set a-side

Wow, someone has an attitude problem. :huh: I like my Russian 'rust buckets,' thank you very much.

Well, they were 'buckets' (ie crappy made, just to be done with it), lately though they are about on par with current western aircraft manufacturing, hence the reason all those Su-30ies and Mig-29M2/35/MRCA look so sleek. Compare that with su-27s built in the early 90ies...

Why can't we whine about the deadly tendencies of the F-14a instead of trolling, flaming and all the other specatum tauri (BS is already reserved for Black Shark, so I went back to the original meaning :P)

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

The Problem is, this guy that started the thread asked about the TF-30 engine and did NOT ask for the stuff that comes out of a bulls butt! :D Keep him away lol.

Flip

madrebel.png

sig.jpg

Right now the Army has a new cruise missle out, the THAAD (Terminal High Altitude Area Defense) but look at its specs and it can only travel up to only 125 miles, 200km and an altitude of 150km. Umm whats the range on the AIM-54? uhh 200-250 miles at an altitude of 100,000 feet at mach 5....

Oops my bad...250 tops. To give you an idea on how FAR that is, thats from DFW Texas all the way to San Antonio. You are dumb, Corsair...do you expect me to believe that your even dumber than that?? IIRC its CLOSER to 80-120nm you dimwitted schoolgirl. Only person posting BS replies be you bud. Take it back to kindergarten and learn this stuff over again Barney style...or would you rather have crayons instead?!

lol, this is hilarious... starting to wish I hadn't subscribed to this thread, my inbox is full of "hitman_214th has replied", "corsair7662 has replied", "hitman_214th has replied" etc...

Anyway, thanks to the initial posters, I will follow up on those sources for sure (I'd seen breif engine info in the back of Jane's all the world's aircraft but never thought to look for a volume on engine's alone). CrazieAggie, if you come across those white papers again let me know, I've searched but haven't found anything yet. To Brit, thanks for the suggestion on the J-58, I have the option to change the engine I'm focussing on up until the due date, with the information you passed on it's definitely a viable alternative.

bullsh1t 280 miles, i never said that! the max range of the Phoenix is 200-250 miles. im sorry but you really act as you know the tomcat and phoenix but you really DONT.

And you do? :D

You'd be lucky to see the Phoenix reach 160nm, let alone 200-250.

It -can- do it, under some -very- specific circumstances which leave zero room for error in both launcher's technique, and the necessity of the target not deviating from its course at /all/, or using any sort of counter-measures. It is also subject to a butterfly flapping its wings on the other side of the planet.

To get 200nm range out of the phoenix you need to launch it some 45deg up, from 55000' while doing mach 2. The missile will peak at some mach 4 velocity, or probably a little less, and hopefuly hitt he target some 3-4 min later. That is, if it continues on its course straight at you, at nearly mach 1, no course deviation or countermeasures whatsoever, and it needs to be flying at some 40000'. A rather unlikely scenario.

By the way - the AMRAAM's seeker is well more advanced than the Phoenix's ended up being - and the AMRAAM is better equipped to deal with a maneuvering fighter in many, many ways, from actuator capability to steering to seeker capability and guidance algos ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda