OT: Pratt & Witney TF-30

And heres something you didnt think of, corsair. The missile requires a line-of-sight on both datalink AND radar guidance. It *might* if the earth was flat....but like we all learned in 1st grade...the earth is round. News flash, huh. Little problem with the horizon interrupting the data flow.

Ok let me break this down to you barney style, as opposed to rotisserie gold.

Max alt of Tomcat is what...?

Curvature of the earth is what...?

Can radar actually see THAT far from the plane...?

If so how HIGH does the plane have to be in order to do so? <--this means it has to be high enough to see over the horizon. Im willing to bet you would have to be a good 15-20miles up before you can do that.

Heres the math question that Im sure that will most likely piss you off.

Top speed and altitude of the AIM-54 is 100,000 feet at mach 5. so great going there with your knowledge....

I happen to know that this is true ... if you launch the Phoenix at Mach 3.

There's a recent article by NASA which flat out says they expect mach 3 performance out of their modified Phoenix missiles, launched from F-15's ... and these guys are THE ROCKET EXPERTS. This missile will be lighter than the original phoenix. You'd -think- it'd be faster than the original with its big warhead and guidance package.

Get a clue, THEN come back and mouth off to me - maybe you'll actually have an -IDEA- of what you're talking about.

You guys and your wannabe kick butt AMRAAM's....:megalol::megalol:

If you brought a real pilot on here, he would laugh so bad in how you guys think about the AIM-120 and AIM-54.

I do have access to a real pilot, and he's not laughing with you .. he's laughing *at* you.

Ok the AIM-54 has like the mother of all mothers in radar capability,

No, it doesn't. The original had a conscan seeker which you can jam at the drop of a hat today. The upgrades - few of them as they were, replaced that with a monopulse seeker, but the existing power trains of the AIM-54 forced some compromizes to be made which make that seeker less efficient than that of the AMRAAM.

Again: Get a clue.

not to mention DISTANCE and SPEED(and oh, same deal for the Tomcat):book:.

Yep, the 54 has range. Do you know what else the 54 has? Design. Like every missile, it is designed to fulfill a particular role, and do it well. That role is not air to air combat with other fighters. It can do it, but it's not particularely great at it. Kindalike the R-33 ;)

You guys only think the -54 sucks cause of how it reacts on LOMAC, well your DEAD wrong cause have you ever fired one?

Have you? Do you even have a clue of how missile ballistics work? At all? no? Thought so. Some of us have a little more information than you do - LOMAC N/A.

LOL no. It isnt used for fighters but it sure can and they will have an 80/20% of a kill chance (its called "reading", and you guys need it).

No, you need it. And you need to learn some physics - you know, some calculus to go with it, too, 'cause this stuff is all calculus. You pretty much are clueless until you learn this stuff and well .. you ... are clueless :)

How many upgrades are there going to be for the AMRAAM? like 10 more lol. there were 3 versions of the -54 and 2 were used, and they both had the same statistics just about. The AMRAAM has like 5 models and is upgrading from 50-110 miles and so on. yea great job, keep worshipping your little -120's cause their nothing on a Phoenix!

The 120 can do more with its seeker than the latest 54 version could every hope to. The 120's range was extended NOT through rocket improvements, but through programming. That should be another clue to you.

The 54 was nowhere NEAR as upgreadable as the 120 is. Here's another hint/clue: The AMRAAM gets so many upgrades because IT CAN. It was DESIGNED to have this capability, and thus stay at the forefront of missile technology. The AIM-54 was *not*. All its upgrades were expensive, and labour-intensive, and that's exactly why there were so few of'em. Most 120 upgrades are software.

I am sorry about all of the back and forth crap but too many people on here are uneducated on the F-14 and AIM-54 and they act like they know everything about them but they really dont! So yet they say I need to study cause their just embarrassed and think/hear what they want. *OH gotta bless the russian crap and the holy aim-120*. thats what this forum is all about.....

Quit calling people 'uneducated' when you yourself are very obviously uninformed, and downright clueless. The AIM-54/Tomcat combo deserves respect, not worship. It is almost as old news as old news get in the aviation business. 'Old news' is defeatable, much more readily than any new fighter you'll see produced. it was good back in its time - that time has passed. Quit living in the past - and ... quit pretending you actually know something when you're entirely clueless. It is shameful.

Ah darn, I'm repeating myself again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

3. Uhh the F-14 has the biggest and strongest radar on any aircraft out there. Can see for over 500 miles away so YEAH it can! It aint no fleet defender for nothing!:smilewink:

*BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP* wrong. Try MiG-31. As far as fighters go.

And by the way ... it won't be seeing fighter sized targets 200nm out :)

In fact, a superbug will be rather hard to see until some 60-70nm, /if/ that. That Low-Observability technology really does pay off ;)

But don't take /my/ word for it, do the math and convince yourself! Or are you too 'uneducated' to do that?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

And again on how -54's werent made to intercept fighters? Well then where the hell did Iran's kill record come from? HUH????

The same place some other kill records come from: They didn't see it coming. Their RWR didn't squawk - and then, boom. Gone. You can be flying a pinto - if you fly it straight and level even a TOW will hit you ...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

what does the curvature of the earth do with active guidance at 100,000 feet? did you NOT just read my response on high our atmosphere extends because a phoenix wont pass through it...

Try again, genius. RADAR...NOT the fuggin' missile.

3. Uhh the F-14 has the biggest and strongest radar on any aircraft out there. Can see for over 500 miles away so YEAH it can! It aint no fleet defender for nothing!:smilewink:

Then I guess them E-2 charlies are there for show and tell.

4. 1-300+ miles straight up?????

Ive seen dumb, and now Ive seen Corsair7662.

I drew you a picture in case you have a hard time understanding it.

duh.jpg

Guest IguanaKing
*BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP* wrong. Try MiG-31. As far as fighters go.

And by the way ... it won't be seeing fighter sized targets 200nm out :)

In fact, a superbug will be rather hard to see until some 60-70nm, /if/ that. That Low-Observability technology really does pay off ;)

But don't take /my/ word for it, do the math and convince yourself! Or are you too 'uneducated' to do that?

Oh...but didn't you know that the SBI-16 is just a copy of the AWG-9? Even though their characteristics are really nothing alike? :smilewink: :D

I am sorry about all of the back and forth crap but too many people on here are uneducated on the F-14 and AIM-54 and they act like they know everything about them but they really dont! So yet they say I need to study cause their just embarrassed and think/hear what they want. *OH gotta bless the russian crap and the holy aim-120*. thats what this forum is all about.....

The problem is, you arent any more educated on the subject.

The 120 has been upgraded so many times because its called improvement.

If the -54 was indeed a superior missile, they would still be using it ;)

Wow I think we've hit an all-time low. Not to rain on anyone's parade, but who the F@($ cares about this shit anymore. The dude has accomplished exactly what he wanted to: start crap with people and get their panties in a wad. No one here is a real flighter pilot. Common sense and declass info aside, no one has access to the real missile data. Some of ya'll obviously have a good idea of what ya'll are talking about, but look this dude isn't worth the effort. On the flip side, you guys are starting to sound rediculous arguing with him. I know I'm laughing at everyone at this point, and if I brought some of the other guys from my REAL fighter squadron in here, they would be laughing their asses off at all of ya'll arguing. At this point, this thread which was a plea for help on a completely unrelated topic is ruined. Why the hell doesn't everyone just shut the hell up, boot up LockOn, and go play the dang GAME. Yes, I said it, have fun playing the GAME!!! That is what we are here to do right? Enjoy the thrill of simulated flight?

I love my job :pilotfly:

My brother is a pilot (Im not expecting you to believe it :D ) and even he doesnt tell me everything. So probably everything I tell you here is pretty much declassified stuff (even if you dont find it without deeper research on your own initiative). I find a curious concept that anyone would feel special by pretending knowing something that may or may not be true over the internet to people whose faces never seen. But one thing that is common to us all is that we like to share interesting reading.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P