R-27ER1 AA-10 "Alamo-C" Employment.

FlankerMan

I have a question: what is the best way to use the R-27ER in the Su-27? I can only afford two per BVR kill, and I'd like at least the second one to hit. Any tips? I usually launch the first one soon after LA (I never use HOJ), and the second as much later as I think is safe, before I start dodging the enemies' missiles.

Um, no, I don't know how to attach tracks to anything. I can try to describe in a little more detail, though. I immediately start gaining speed and altitude, while I look for a target. When I find one, I'll try to lock on to it (I have my wingmen engage as well). If it has ECM, I just wait for burn-through, as I don't like the concept of HOJ (I can usually burn through before R-27ER launch range, anyways). After locking it up without HOJ, I will point in it's direction, try to remain higher and faster than it, and wait for LA. Once LA is given, I will get a bit closer, than launch my first one. I will wait a while, (I'm usually not too far from the WVR at this point), and launch my second one. Then I'll try to maintain a lock while dodging enemy SARH and ARH missiles. How's that sound?

Don't use your ER directly headon, it's complete useless against any pro pilots, especially in FC3.

(Don't believe the bullshit that U can out range the AIM120C in BVR)

ET can be tried at 18KM headon however.

Try to find some wingman or leader, one for decoy and one for sneak attack. Never enter a battle that U can't obviously gain some advantage, that's how a SU live in FC3.

Use your ER at close range and try launch at look up situation, U will find your ER hit something a lot of eaiser.

Deka Ironwork Tester Team

The first missile launched as you described is a guaranteed miss but not necessarily a wasted shot because it's purpose is to give your opponent (especially effective against the AI) something to think about besides boring in to kill you. It's what you do next that important.

Your next move, after you launch, is to turn partially away from your opponent but keep him locked just within the gimbal limit of you radar so that you can continue to guide your missile. This will keep the range between the two of you from closing too rapidly and also force his missile to fly further losing more energy before arriving in your neighborhood.

When you are ready to launch your 2nd missile, turn back into him. As you do, you'll see your missile's DLZ expand and, if you timed it right, he should be just around the RTR mark on the DLZ. Take the G's off your airframe, launch, and immediately crank again to put him on your radar's gimbal limit.

At this point, you need to keep track of his altitude and make sure that you stay below him so that your radar is always in a look-up situation. The AI, especially, likes to dive for the deck to introduce background clutter and complicate your life. If you stay below him, 9 times out of 10 this 2nd missile will score the kill.

Human adversaries tend to be trickier than the AI but those are the basics when you're only employing this missile.

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I have a question: what is the best way to use the R-27ER in the Su-27? I can only afford two per BVR kill, and I'd like at least the second one to hit. Any tips? I usually launch the first one soon after LA (I never use HOJ), and the second as much later as I think is safe, before I start dodging the enemies' missiles.

Basically the closer the better chance of hitting the target, combine this with being lower than the bandit and your chance of hitting go up.

If you're up against an equal or superior platform then the above is bad place to be so conserving your missiles should be the last thing on your mind. Win the fight then consider your options.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

The first missile launched as you described is a guaranteed miss but not necessarily a wasted shot because it's purpose is to give your opponent (especially effective against the AI) something to think about besides boring in to kill you. It's what you do next that important.

Your next move, after you launch, is to turn partially away from your opponent but keep him locked just within the gimbal limit of you radar so that you can continue to guide your missile. This will keep the range between the two of you from closing too rapidly and also force his missile to fly further losing more energy before arriving in your neighborhood.

When you are ready to launch your 2nd missile, turn back into him. As you do, you'll see your missile's DLZ expand and, if you timed it right, he should be just around the RTR mark on the DLZ. Take the G's off your airframe, launch, and immediately crank again to put him on your radar's gimbal limit.

At this point, you need to keep track of his altitude and make sure that you stay below him so that your radar is always in a look-up situation. The AI, especially, likes to dive for the deck to introduce background clutter and complicate your life. If you stay below him, 9 times out of 10 this 2nd missile will score the kill.

Human adversaries tend to be trickier than the AI but those are the basics when you're only employing this missile.

Thanks a lot! I haven't tried this yet, but I'm sure it'll work great. The one thing that surprised me is that I should be lower than the target. Usually, the higher I am, the higher it will be when it comes to the target, which can convert into more speed. Still, I'll take your advice, and yeah, the first missile is just to get the AI to not engage me until I want them to.

Thanks a lot! I haven't tried this yet, but I'm sure it'll work great. The one thing that surprised me is that I should be lower than the target. Usually, the higher I am, the higher it will be when it comes to the target, which can convert into more speed. Still, I'll take your advice, and yeah, the first missile is just to get the AI to not engage me until I want them to.

You can launch at co-altitude or a higher altitude but, after launching, you should get below him while guiding. Otherwise, he's more likely to break the lock.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Yes because if behind your target your radar sees ground clutter, a « simple » notch will break the lock. If your target is above you there won’t be ground clutter behind your target and he won’t be able to trick your radar into filtering him out.

i7 7700k • 1080Ti • 32GB @ 3200 MHz • 525GB M.2 • Oculus Rift

Warthog + Pro Flight

Forgot this was sitting on my YT channel, otherwise I would have posted it in my original response. This is an example of what I described. I normally prefer breaking to the right when possible because this puts the antenna position dot on the left side of the HUD with the range bar as a handy do-not-cross guide. Makes it easier to know where the gimbal limit is. There's no such handy reference guide on the right side of the HUD, so it's a bit more difficult to judge.

_____

• 2 weeks later...