Flickering Clouds

TexasBread

New issue with 2.5 for me. Did not have issues in 2.2

Specs:

1950x Threadripper

Arous 1080ti

16gb RAM

Problem occurs when in a server with clouds or are using the smoke/fire script. When I join the server everything is fine for about the first 3 minutes or so and then the cloud/smoke flickering begins. It's pretty bad and occurs anytime there is any kind of movement. Ive tried changing the shadow settings and default Nvidia panel settings to no avail. Game runs great otherwise.

I have had similar issues in SP (running SLI) where the "dark underbelly" of the clouds would intermittently flicker especially when moving view - at times it seemed like a flat black texture was briefly replacing part of the cloud. funny, I can't replicate the problem now (don't know what I changed)

TexasBread,

I've tried to reliably and logically replicate the problem but it remains elusive. I'm not sure what triggers it (or if we even have the same problem - I initially thought my problem was SLI related).

Once the clouds start flickering for me then I can enter any mission with clouds and see the flicker immediately. However, once it stops then I can't find a way to force the problem again, it just "randomly" reappears later.

The changing gamma thing does seem to temporarily stop it for me but I can't see a logical connection there - unless it has something to do with updating the options.lua file.

edit:

ok, so it's not "gamma" per se. It happened to me again and I tried the following: exited the mission and restarted 3 times - cloud flicker was always showing immediately. exited the mission and changed something randomly in settings (smoke density) restarted and flicker gone.

Anyway, I will keep playing with it and if you have any luck let me know

Edited by prccowboy

I'm attaching a screenshot to better compare notes because I'm not sure we are having the same problem. Note: I added fire/smoke to my test because you mentioned it in your post - but I don't have any flicker problem there

You obviously can't see flicker in a static photo, but I've highlighted the areas that I see flicker.

471457674_cloudflicker.thumb.jpg.75e8041170feafc30fbaafe468557f4c.jpg

I'm attaching a screenshot to better compare notes because I'm not sure we are having the same problem. Note: I added fire/smoke to my test because you mentioned it in your post - but I don't have any flicker problem there

You obviously can't see flicker in a static photo, but I've highlighted the areas that I see flicker.

[ATTACH]179936[/ATTACH]

Yea thats the same issue I'm having. I played singleplayer for about 2 hours with low to moderate clouds and did not have a single flicker. Go over to multiplayer the clouds start to flicker within 5 minutes... Ill try the density setting

Ill try the density setting

I don't think it has anything to do with those settings (gamma, density, etc.)... I just experienced a temporary "fix" when I changed something but the problem returns later - probably coincidence.

by the way, are you running SLI?

Edited by prccowboy

I spent hours looking for the parameter responsible of clouds flickering and I'm sure it's this one, regardless of all the others.

I created a mission at dawn spring morning with clouds at 6000 feets and I was able to reproduce the flickering all the time with immediate result.

I changed every parameters in all ways possible AFR/AFR2/SFR, sync, AA, etc... and always same flickering.

I saw that the intensity (the speed of blinking) was in connection with the SLI COMPATIBILITY BITS (DX10 DX11) and finally, with this setting (crysis/arma3/ etc ...) the problem has disappeared instantly

CF.PNG.946fc9c7c3f527f25f9e7645931aa0a7.PNG

Edited by paradox64

ROG Maximus XI Hero / i9-9900k @5Ghz / 32Gb DDR4 @3200Mhz / Samsung 960 Pro M.2 / RTX2080ti / Vive Pro / ROG 3440x1440

Paradox,

If you can reproduce the problem all the time, then maybe your system is a better test bed (I can't reliably reproduce the issue). The SLI bits you used kills performance; however, please try this bit setting: 0x080600F5 (S.T.A.L.K.E.R)

This one gives me good performance and I haven't seen the flicker yet

Paradox,

If you can reproduce the problem all the time, then maybe your system is a better test bed (I can't reliably reproduce the issue). The SLI bits you used kills performance; however, please try this bit setting: 0x080600F5 (S.T.A.L.K.E.R)

This one gives me good performance and I haven't seen the flicker yet

OK I confirm no flickering at all with your SLI profil.

I didn't see any difference in performance with the crysis/arma profil. It's strange.

I took a screenshot of tasks manager with your :

Edit: your right, there's a performance loos with mine.

There are many "high fps" profils working very well like Dirt4 or Batman: Arkham Origins but in my test ---> immediate flickering

edit2 : take a look this one ---> 0x080004F1 (Mirror's Edge: Catalyst)

work better and no flickering

852787821_stalkersli.thumb.PNG.967a66fe8e3668f24d0fe30d6a7584e1.PNG

Edited by paradox64

ROG Maximus XI Hero / i9-9900k @5Ghz / 32Gb DDR4 @3200Mhz / Samsung 960 Pro M.2 / RTX2080ti / Vive Pro / ROG 3440x1440

edit2 : take a look this one ---> 0x080004F1 (Mirror's Edge: Catalyst)

I'm still getting best results with the 0x080600F5 (S.T.A.L.K.E.R) bits. I see performance drop or flicker with the others. I'll keep playing with this profile and report back if I have any updates

update: this seems to have permanently fixed the problem for me. I have NOT seen any flicker or other graphic anomalies with this setting. I consider this issue "closed" for me.

Edited by prccowboy

I'm still getting best results with the 0x080600F5 (S.T.A.L.K.E.R) bits. I see performance drop or flicker with the others. I'll keep playing with this profile and report back if I have any updates

Yes I did a new test with it and it work great when I set "maximum pre rendered frames" to 1.

I ll keep this one too !

• 1 month later...
*sigh* 2.5.1 update broke the cloud fix... I have flickering clouds again :(

I have the same problem with 2.5.1

Win10, I7-7700K, 32GB, RTX-3080Ti, 3xSSD (System, DCS and one more), VKB Gunfighter MCG Pro, Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, MFD Cougar, Saitek X-55, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, MSFF2, G-940, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH MFP, TrackIR-5 + TrackClip Pro, DELL 21:9 Monitor

It's really easy to fly without any instruments while in the heaviest fog and thickest clouds with the lowest visibility options set, since you can see perfectly clearly when it flickers for a split second as you pass through the various layers of the cloud. It seems like it only renders the layer you're in, as when you pass through each layer it becomes perfectly clear for a split second. It's seriously disruptive and looks like crap. Not to mention that you can somehow see chimney smoke perfectly from 10000ft above a super thick cloud layer and heavy fog. If you fly above the clouds and look at where they intersect a mountain you'll see what I mean about cloud layers.

Same problem here. Sli worked like a charm since 2.5.1 update. severe cloud flickering in 2.5.1 beta. I am now again shifting back to 2.5 release version. lets hope the ".1" update doesnt come to release version anytime soon.

I tried lots of sli bits and nothing I did corrected the problem.

I don't use SLI and I have this issue as well, so I doubt that's the issue here. It seems as though they changed how things render entirely in this new update, and that seems to be causing issues with the clouds as well. Lights are invisible until you zoom in fully, shading in the A-10/harrier TGP is seriously messed up and pops in/out, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Are clouds flickering in sli in latest beta update?

Yes

Win10, I7-7700K, 32GB, RTX-3080Ti, 3xSSD (System, DCS and one more), VKB Gunfighter MCG Pro, Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, MFD Cougar, Saitek X-55, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, MSFF2, G-940, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH MFP, TrackIR-5 + TrackClip Pro, DELL 21:9 Monitor

I have flickering of cloud shadows dancing in random blotches on the ground over lit areas - this happens when flying a night (dawn) mission. (2.5.2. OB Persian Gulf Map) -

anyone else have this or know how to fix?

My Rig is running SLI with the STALKER compat BIT and forced AFR2. It is unlplayable at night in lit areas on the new Persian Gulf Map.

*EDIT: and at daytime clouds are flickering no matter what settings or SLi BIT I try.....

Edited by overalien

overalien

Hog Driver starting to really like the Tomcat

System specs:

Intel i7-8700k - OC to 5.0 GHz

| 32 GB RAM 3600 MHz | Nvidia 1080ti SLi | Mixed Storage - Win 10 and DCS on Samsung SSD 970 Pro

Flightgear:

7 Displays (3 x 1440p, 1 X 1080p, 3 X Lilliput Touch) | 3 x Cougar MFDs

| Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | iBEAM Shaker + Simshaker for Aviators w. Sound Module | Helios | VAICOM Pro + AIRIO | TrackIR 5

has anyone found a new workaround ? I'm about to bash keyboard with head...

overalien

Hog Driver starting to really like the Tomcat

System specs:

Intel i7-8700k - OC to 5.0 GHz

| 32 GB RAM 3600 MHz | Nvidia 1080ti SLi | Mixed Storage - Win 10 and DCS on Samsung SSD 970 Pro

Flightgear:

7 Displays (3 x 1440p, 1 X 1080p, 3 X Lilliput Touch) | 3 x Cougar MFDs

| Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | iBEAM Shaker + Simshaker for Aviators w. Sound Module | Helios | VAICOM Pro + AIRIO | TrackIR 5