Auto Hover and Turn on target not working properly...

Hoggorm

Lol, yeah, like I said to Weta43, this debates been going on since the Shark came out. I think it's finally getting clear. I would use FD when I'm doing hard maneuvering, as I really have no need for AP then, and I wouldn't be fighting it, which should actually then give an even greater envelope of control ( no negative feedback from the AP ).

I guess the only question I have left on the AP, is should I trim when I'm using FD? Would it do anything? Would errors build in the AP if I don't, since technically it's still on, adding stabilization control?

Edited by 3WA

I guess the only question I have left on the AP, is should I trim when I'm using FD? Would it do anything? Would errors build in the AP if I don't, since technically it's still on, adding stabilization control?

I always trim, whether FD is on or not.

With the TM Warthog, I'm using a self-centering stick, so trimming with FD on allows me to fly hands-free, or at least removes the force from my actual stick.

In the real pit, wouldn't the stick also return to the last trimmed position with FD on? Or would FD remove all those forces, like a Huey with force trim set to off?

In any case, I'm not aware of any error accumulation with FD on. But some advice I've heard from an EC-135 pilot: Never trim in any bank. If something goes wrong with the stability augmentation system or you find yourself in any other kind of problem or emergency, you really don't want to fight any trimmed-in roll inputs. Sounded very plausible to me and ever since then I've tried to avoid trimming in roll.

FD just stores the captured values as software preferences. So yes you should use trimmer in FD just like normal. The difference is that instead of hold channels applying some change to the flight surfaces it gives guidance marks on the HUD for attitude, heading, altitude, etc.

The change in cockpit control position (rudder, stick) is the same regardless of flight control mode. You must understand that "trim" button is operating two different systems at the same time. First is the spring for the controls and their position, that is the physical system which functions at all times. Second is the software system which captures data values for held parameters (either actual control or virtual control FD).