Joystick/Hotas Advice

As title says, im currently using a logitech extreme pro, it's quite old and would like to get a decent hotas to play dcs world.

Currently I'm torn between 2 sticks due to budget, the x52 and tm 16000m, i read alot of comments about how the x52 has bad build quality etc yet there is a store near where i live that sells them, ontop of this it seem's to have better overall button layouts which are more comfortable to use, also more hats/buttons on the stick.

The 16000m however has a lot of buttons and hats on the throttle but from looking at reviews and such there not in the best of places for finger placement, also the stick itself is very limited in buttons which is a bit of a bummer.

Both of these sticks are 140 euro where i live so im torn which i should pick, even though everyone raves on about the 16000m being god tier etc, the stick itself looks pretty meh and has a lack of buttons, the x52 however looks like it has less resistance on the stick, more buttons and overall a better (DCS) stick, im sure elite dangerous or w/e the 16000m is more suited.

Any advice welcome

Not an expert on HOTAS in general, but here's what I know about the X52. The X52 PRO is a decent stick. It has many improvements over the X52. The X52 with the blue painted base is pretty much not worth buying, but according to the manufacturer, the new version has a black base and many of the issues were corrected. I have not had hands on on it or the 16000m, so I can't speak to it. I have the X52 pro, and I'm very happy with it, both for DCS and Elite Dangerous.. lots of programmable buttons and you can do macros easily. It's not "realistic", but that's not a concern for me.

Sometimes you can snag a Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog on Ebay that is new or nearly so for a good price, or at least lower than most outlets. There are other premium HOTAS's, but Warthog is the most widely used and there are most likely set-ups available for your aircraft module. You would probably be well satisfied with this higher priced product when in DCS. Also, you can resell a Warthog more easily than the more basic set-ups when the time comes. Just my .02.....

Clevo laptop: P650HS-G, i7-7820HK 3.9Hz max (+overclock capable), Liquid Metal pasted, 16GB DDR4/2400MHz, 15.6 G-Sync 120Hz 5ms panel, nVidia GTX 1070 w/8GDDR5, 10Pro

Installed: DCS World, DCS World 2 with Nevada, F-5; Purchased: F/A-18C

Ye i can't afford a HOTAS warthog nor would i ever buy from ebay/second hand, just how i am, I'm also considering the X56 from logitech's website, can anyone give input on this stick? theres like several variants of the stick but id be buying them one from Logitech's website itself.

I have an X52 and it is fine, the only problem i have programming and control wise is with the idiot who is holding it. Oh and for the life of me i can't program the pinkie function to work in DCS

Oh and for the life of me i can't program the pinkie function to work in DCS

Just sorted this last night ;)

You need to delete the shift profiles in the SST SW (even if you don't use SST, the default profile has shift states programmed), and the pinkie will be recognized thereafter.

Have a look at this link :

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/38796-HowTo-Configuring-the-X52-X52-Pro-for-full-button-usage

And the video here :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=83215

Edited by jaxx_za

I used x52 for a few years and i dont recommend it. I think the throttle is ok but the stick is quite bad. Its just feels so wobbly and inaccurate, and when you have to make very small movements like when flying a chopper, the spring is noisy and stick feels very unsmooth.

I used x52 for a few years and i dont recommend it. I think the throttle is ok but the stick is quite bad. Its just feels so wobbly and inaccurate, and when you have to make very small movements like when flying a chopper, the spring is noisy and stick feels very unsmooth.

The PRO version is good. I guess you are talking about the simple first version.

I have played with the Saitek X52 PRO since 2005 and I have replaced it with the same stick a couple of times but I fly a lot! I have also tried the X52 simple version, don't get that one! The TM 1600M is a good alternative but more expensive I believe. It is all a matter of what you can afford.

For close to that price dont discount CH. Their Fighterstick has one of the longest throws of any desktop joystick, which amounts to better precision and less need for curves. Ive owned both x52 and pro, t16000m, cougar, warthog, x56 and I would without a doubt recommend it over all of those. Also nothing truly terrible about their pro throttle

Edited by hollywoodvillain

Well I have several answers for you depending on budget and use.

Mid level budget gp or a-10c use get the thrustmaster warthog

If you want something better then vkb gunfighter(pro)with modern combat grip(pro) or the Virpil but required an addition throttle and pedals i like the vkb pedals myself but the throttle will not be out til q4 at earliest.

If you got deep deep pockets for helos get the puma from pft

If you got deeper pockets look in to for ce feedback

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I have had the T16000m for over a year now and just added the throttle system (buy them together to save some coin). I can only tell you that it works great for me. I haven't' used the other HOTAS systems.

I am almost done setting up the mirage and haven't ran out of buttons yet if that is any help. And I don't have any control issues like I have had with other sticks (saitek Cyborgs/ fly 5).

Edited by Pickle72

T-16000M FCS | Track IR5 | Quest 2 | ASROCK Z370 | i7-8700k | GTX1080-OC | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10 | OSX High Sierra for real work

Hack build

The 16000m however has a lot of buttons and hats on the throttle but from looking at reviews and such there not in the best of places for finger placement,

That "reviews" sounds biased, because all buttons of TWCS throttle are under fingers - 3 HAT's and a press button in right side placed similar than HAT and switches in Warthog throttle, mini-stick, a 3 position slider and a press button in front that too result similar operation of Warthog ones...

...also the stick itself is very limited in buttons which is a bit of a bummer.

T.16000M is the typical "entry level" 4 buttons + POV HAT grip.

Have 12 buttons in base, but 6 is in the "wrong side"...

In grip aspect is really poor than any other stick on market, even VKB Gladiator that have 1 button less in grip but due pinky and mode buttons has better usability. :joystick:

Off course X-52 offer better usability that T16kM, their ~ 15 years on market speak for themselves, despite the downs of QC as times goes by is not a lemon like some say, certainly the better package in that price range (~$130-150).

Assure to get the G X-52 distributed by Logitech, and a good warranty period - may you need. :D

Edited by Sokol1_br

Just sorted this last night ;)

You need to delete the shift profiles in the SST SW (even if you don't use SST, the default profile has shift states programmed), and the pinkie will be recognized thereafter.

Have a look at this link :

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/38796-HowTo-Configuring-the-X52-X52-Pro-for-full-button-usage

And the video here :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=83215

Thanks mate I'll give it a go!