Alternatives to replace the Chaparral

Portuguese army conducted a series of real ammo firing this wednesday to atest the efectivenss of the system.

Conclusions were terrifying. Of all 8 misisles fired NOT ONE came anywhere near their targets (German made drones). It was shown on TV some of those shots and I saw one going up and then snap straight down into a beach and explode on the sand.

Generals complained the drones were nearing their service life ends but me thinks NOT EXPIRED YET and since they did fly there were avaiable heat sources that could at least simulate frontal aspect thermal sources. But no dice still.

Given the appaling efecteviness of this system what could be replace it in the class of Chaparral?

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

The 'ready made' replacement is the Stinger/Avenger.

The problem here is that the Chaparal's sidewinders are rather old models, IIRC.

You could replace them with 9M's or better yet, 9X's if you really wanted that, though it would be great to have a stapped on booster for them too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yes, but they are not exactly as autonomous I believe.

The SLAMRAAM basically requires you to park the hummer, get the hell away from it with your control console, and receive air defense directions from a command and control facility using a sentinel surveillance radar. I'm not entirely certain if SLAMRAAM can be launched without this data-link.

Avengers have this datalink too, but they can be aimed and fired at will.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Just wanted to say that I adore the Slammer humvee, it's small, has big bad ass missiles on it, looks just awesome, guess it has a good bite too.

What about the Starstreak based ADS? It has advanced thermal imaging devices , and those penetrators look so damn evil, too bad the UK sells them, if they had some satan sticker, I would totally believe it. Plus, if some pesky BMP comes near, well, it will get 3 or more holes in no time.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Yep, the SLAMRAAM sure does look cool. You don't wanna go near that with something that flies ... you're as good as dead.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think the more important component there is the seeker, I don't see the TVC playing a role in a SAM in this case ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Other alternatives would be Tunguska/Pantsyr/Sosna or, perhaps more realistic for a Western-alligned country like Portugal, the Israeli Spyder (think surface-launched Python5 and/or Derby AAMs!).

Starstreak certainly is a mean little missile though :D

Oooh, and it can be mounted on your desk too!

We shoudl now equip planes with a number of those turrets!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]