Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

Hi guy's, daddy's back. Some might get that reference.  

I may be a little late to the mission on Saturday, depending upon my new duties.  Look forward to seeing you all in the fight...

Until then,

Mike-Delta

• Like 1

Have just been from Two Towns. Situation report: you cannot hill start nor hill climb in track vehicles, namely M60s, BMP and Shilka. T-55 can but still missing engine sound. Also cant speak about units outside the mission.
CA currently is screwed up beyond repair, you can't really soften the tone. By "hill" i mean at the elevation angle shown below, M60 cant climb up from standing still.

Screen_220331_2.jpg

Screen_220331_1.jpg

Shilka can climb shallower hills but struggles with steep ones - not sure that's changed. M60 definitely has issues, it won't even climb a 1 in 10 grade, I'll bug report it if it hasn't been already.

Engine sounds seem to be a MP issue, worked fine in SP.

6 hours ago, rossmum said:

Shilka can climb shallower hills but struggles with steep ones - not sure that's changed. M60 definitely has issues, it won't even climb a 1 in 10 grade, I'll bug report it if it hasn't been already.

Engine sounds seem to be a MP issue, worked fine in SP.

I'd hate to call off the event again due to CA bugs. After all, plenty to do for all aircraft involved in the mission.

By the way, the A-4's latest update should've fixed the Shrike issue. I remember you talking about it in your stream.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Arab-Israeli War - Round 3:

Red won!

In the beginning of the mission Red were outnumbered by 1:3 for about 20-30 minutes. Still, they managed to nuke the industrial area by Haifa!
Throughout the mission Red had a bit more players with almost everyone flying MiG's looking for bandits. This made it hard for the outnumbered Blue strikers to get the job done.
3 hours into the mission Red was able to capture both Kiryat Shmona and Rosh Pina Airbases.

Possible changes for future rounds:
- Less slots for MiG's or more for F-5's and A-4's.
- More M60 tanks for Blue.
- Less bunkers to destroy at the TA's for Blue to get the job done.
- Your suggestions.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Server News:

I'm a bit slower than usual with delivering these days (real life matters), but progress is still being made:

- The new mission featuring the MiG-15 and the I-16 vs the F-86, the P-51 and the P-47 is almost ready. Persian Gulf is the featured map. The mission takes place in ca. 1949.
- The missions Homs and Swedish Delivery require some bugs fixing/reworking/adjustments that will be made once work on the new mission is completed.
- Operation Disturbed Pacific will be removed. Not many players like the map due to lack of larger lands. The islands are rather small with long distances between them. Shame.
- Helicopters Tournament 15 is ready. A date still needs to be determined. Waiting on 104th_Maverick to find a place for it in his schedule.
- Once all the above is done and the Combined Arms module is hopefully fixed, work on Combined Arms Tournament 5 will begin. That's a lot of if's though. We'll see...

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I am looking forward to the early Cold War mission. I am assuming Red will be playing mostly defense with that plane set. I LOVE that you are doing it on the PG map although I like Syria the best.

Removing Disturbed Pacific is welcome in my opinion. Also, Last Man Standing doesn't seem to generate much interest.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

1 hour ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

I am looking forward to the early Cold War mission. I am assuming Red will be playing mostly defense with that plane set. I LOVE that you are doing it on the PG map although I like Syria the best.

Removing Disturbed Pacific is welcome in my opinion. Also, Last Man Standing doesn't seem to generate much interest.

Blue is invading Red, yes. Blue managed to capture and hold a vital town and its harbour. Red will have to do some air-to-ground to stop any further advancement by Blue, while Blue needs to protect their assets in the captured town and strike a nearby (30 km further north) military base, which Red needs to protect. Note that MiG-15's can carry 2 bombs only. FAB-50 or FAB-100. Therefore, the air-to-ground objective for Red is simpler than that of Blue. Combined Arms might be involved, not sure yet. Half-tracks for the most part.

Last Man Standing is not very popular, you're right. I'll remove it too.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Operation: Bandar 1949

- The mission features the MiG-15 and the F-86 as the main aircraft.
- JTAC slots are available, however, all ground units are AI controlled.
- AAA's only. No SAM's of whatsoever type.

Situation:

RED Airbases: Lar and Bandar Lengeh
BLUE Airbases: Lavan Island and Kish Intl

Blue Forces have launched a large number of landing crafts towards Bandar e Charak Harbour, with Sherman tanks and half-tracks being the main vehicles deployed ashore.
Blue Forces have managed to capture and hold the town of Bandar e Charak by setting up 6 road outposts, a number of half-tracks and various types of AAA's to repel any potential liberation attempts by Red's Air Force.

Meanwhile, Sherman tanks and half-tracks are pushing further north towards the Red Military Base.

- Red wins if all 6 road outposts and Blue ground units surrounding them are destroyed.
- Blue wins if the Red Military Base is destroyed.
- All ground units are AI controlled.

NOTE:
Teamwork is the key! Use SRS and get on comms.

Red Objectives:

Main Objective:
- Destroy all 6 road outposts and Blue ground units surrounding them at the bullseye.

Secondary Objective:
- Search and destroy enemy convoys on their way to our military base coming from the south.
- A total of 4 convoys consisting of Sherman tanks and half-tracks that will attack the military base.
- Note that Sherman tanks can't be destroyed by guns. Not even the 37 mm one.

*** Check out the briefing images for more details ***

--------------------------------------------------------

Frequencies:

MiG-15's - EWR / GCI: 4.95 MHz
I-16's - EWR: 124 MHz (Button A)

Check out the main page of this thread for MiG-15's SRS special setup. There is a way to make them tune to 124 MHz, so that MiG-15's and I-16's can communicate with one another.

Blue Objectives:

Main Objective:
- Destroy vital structures at the enemy's Military Base at the bullseye.

Secondary Objective:
- Protect friendly assets and ground forces at the captured town of Bandar e Charak.

*** Check out the briefing images for more details ***

--------------------------------------------------------

Frequencies:

F-86's - EWR / GCI: Callsign: Axeman - 251 MHz
P-51's and P-47's: Callsign: Darknight - 130 MHz (Channel A)

briefing image.jpg

military base_11zon.jpg

bandar e charak.jpg

convoys.jpg

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 3

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

31 minutes ago, MMI_Grim said:

If I had known about that earlier I would have bought another bird in sale. 😄

What would that be?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

58 minutes ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

P-47 would be the CAS aircraft of choice in this mission.

Well, the F-86 is faster, thus less likely to get hit, and can carry rockets and/bombs too. That would be my choice. In fact, all Blue aircraft in this mission are capable of CAS/striking. On the other hand, I expect MiG-15 pilots to drop their 2 bombs in one run on a road outpost hoping to hit it and finish off the ground units with their 37 mm cannon.

I'm not sure how popular the I-16 module is and I don't recall seeing it on the SoW server or anywhere else. To be honest though, I don't fly any WWll stuff, so I might've overlooked that. However, the I-16 and despite being a rather slower aircraft, can carry rockets and bombs. Would be great to see someone flying it.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

- The missions Disturbed Pacific and Last Man Standing are now offline.
- Work on the missions Swedish Delivery and Homs have started.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

1 hour ago, Alpenwolf said:

Well, the F-86 is faster, thus less likely to get hit, and can carry rockets and/bombs too. That would be my choice. In fact, all Blue aircraft in this mission are capable of CAS/striking. On the other hand, I expect MiG-15 pilots to drop their 2 bombs in one run on a road outpost hoping to hit it and finish off the ground units with their 37 mm cannon.

I'm not sure how popular the I-16 module is and I don't recall seeing it on the SoW server or anywhere else. To be honest though, I don't fly any WWll stuff, so I might've overlooked that. However, the I-16 and despite being a rather slower aircraft, can carry rockets and bombs. Would be great to see someone flying it.

I forgot ED hasn't given the P-47 rockets yet. The key to survival against non-radar guided guns is teamwork and short time pointed at the gun. We were quite successful using strafing pairs in SoW, which was known for highly accurate AAA. The P-47 is a monster strafer and carries 3 bombs. However, solo props against defended ground targets is a losing proposition.

The F-86 is pretty capable in ground attack but it requires significant practice.

No I-16 in SoW because they were very strict on the historical accuracy thing, so no Soviet aircraft in Normandy, which is all they ever ran. 

The I-16 is quite an early design, out of service in 1943, in any case. If it carried smoke rockets, it would be a fun FAC aircraft for the fast movers. 

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

18 minutes ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

I forgot ED hasn't given the P-47 rockets yet. The key to survival against non-radar guided guns is teamwork and short time pointed at the gun. We were quite successful using strafing pairs in SoW, which was known for highly accurate AAA. The P-47 is a monster strafer and carries 3 bombs. However, solo props against defended ground targets is a losing proposition.

The F-86 is pretty capable in ground attack but it requires significant practice.

No I-16 in SoW because they were very strict on the historical accuracy thing, so no Soviet aircraft in Normandy, which is all they ever ran. 

The I-16 is quite an early design, out of service in 1943, in any case. If it carried smoke rockets, it would be a fun FAC aircraft for the fast movers. 

That's why all ground units' skill level is set to good. There's average, good, high and excellent. Hopefully this restricts AAA's a bit and they don't fire like sharpshooters.

The I-16 is the only Soviet aircraft we have from that era. We'll see how it goes before I make any changes if at all.

I'm kind of sceptical when it comes to these early CW jets. You don't see many players flying these modules very often.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

34 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

That's why all ground units' skill level is set to good. There's average, good, high and excellent. Hopefully this restricts AAA's a bit and they don't fire like sharpshooters.

The I-16 is the only Soviet aircraft we have from that era. We'll see how it goes before I make any changes if at all.

I'm kind of sceptical when it comes to these early CW jets. You don't see many players flying these modules very often.

I see quite a few Sabres flying in your server and elsewhere. Not many Mig-15's. Gun fighters are a different fight style, one that few people have much practice with in DCS.

I wouldn't be opposed to Mig-19's in the mix.

Personally, I really like the early Cold War jets but most missions featuring them get caught up in the idea of re-creating Mig Alley, which generates a pretty boring scenario.

I think your normal setup of good radar coverage and well known targets on the ground generates a better fight.

We shall see Saturday. 

Edited by =475FG= Dawger

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

2 hours ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

I see quite a few Sabres flying in your server and elsewhere. Not many Mig-15's. Gun fighters are a different fight style, one that few people have much practice with in DCS.

I wouldn't be opposed to Mig-19's in the mix.

Personally, I really like the early Cold War jets but most missions featuring them get caught up in the idea of re-creating Mig Alley, which generates a pretty boring scenario.

I think your normal setup of good radar coverage and well known targets on the ground generates a better fight.

We shall see Saturday. 

I wouldn't mind adding the MiG-19 either. Guns only anyway. And the Sabre doesn't have the GAR-8. We'll see how it plays out.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

7 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

I wouldn't mind adding the MiG-19 either. Guns only anyway. And the Sabre doesn't have the GAR-8. We'll see how it plays out.

If you do add 19's, make sure they don't have any ground attack capability since they are much faster than anything else.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg