How do I attack a strongly defended target?

The_Pharoah

I'm loving the Hornet and flying it on the Inferno server...however a lot of the time I'm up against a heavily defended target which has multiple SAM sites, and here I am in a Hornet with no TGP or AGMs..just dumb bombs and CCIP. How am I supposed to attack the target? Do I go really low or do I go really high (to give myself room to try and out maneouver the SAMs)? I've found you can fool 1, maybe 2 SAMs...but not necessarily 3-4 all headed towards you.

Or should I try and just fly with others and try and attack the target simultaneously from diff directions?

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

Flying cooperatively will increase your chances of survival and give you greater situational awareness. Secondly, game plan your approach based on what specific types of AA threats are in the area: low to mid alt. sams; high alt. sams; ir guided or radar guided; and, are those sites autonomous. Plan your ingress route and egress route. Are there opportunities to use the terrain to mask your approach?

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Fly an A-10C.

In all seriousness, there isn't much you can do at the moment. I'd recommend getting your mates to fly a SEAD role, or flying with several wingmen to decoy the SAMs while you make your strike or vice versa.

Flying low and using the terrain to your advantage also works as well as it can. I manage sometimes to roll out of terrain cover and make a burner, low level bombing pass on SAMs, but only if you have an exact bead on where they are.

Achieving World Peace - One 2000lb JDAM at a time.

Intel i7 9700K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz , ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI OC, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S.

~

Proud Member of the 62nd Fighting Falcons

~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When the SLAM-ER is introduced we’ll be able to take out ground targets at a much safer distance. In the meantime, SEAD is your best offense.

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

In multiplayer, I am sure you are going to have a hard time using the Hornet in a strike package on a defended target without friends. In the mission editor you could build a coordinated strike package with a 2-4 ship SEAD element. Then as mentioned plan your route and pop-up around terrain masking and pray. Good luck online.

yeah ok thanks guys thats what i thought. I'm a huge fan of reading F105 missions to North Vietnam so I guess this is something like it...but even then they still had jammers, etc. Can't wait to try that out for the Hornet.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

Could you get a mark point on the SAM and then use CCRP to lob some 82's at it?

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

You can attack most SAMs with dumb bombs, only a few are really tricksy (SA-15, Tunguska), the rest are easily fooled by flying over them (Strela) or under (SA-6, SA-10, SA-8) then bombing them. If you fly straight in at medium altitude you're gonna get shot.

You can attack most SAMs with dumb bombs, only a few are really tricksy (SA-15, Tunguska), the rest are easily fooled by flying over them (Strela) or under (SA-6, SA-10, SA-8) then bombing them. If you fly straight in at medium altitude you're gonna get shot.
But usually you have a mix. Risk/benefit assessment advises to not use the 18 first in.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

yeah ok thanks guys thats what i thought. I'm a huge fan of reading F105 missions to North Vietnam so I guess this is something like it...but even then they still had jammers, etc. Can't wait to try that out for the Hornet.

The 105s did not go "Downtown" all by themselves either...

They had F-4s or A-6s riding shotgun for SEAD.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com