20% CPU load, and 65% GPU load gives 30 fps

imacken

I know optimisations will come, but can anyone explain why on Ramp Start IA with the Hornet, I am getting about 30 fps on the ramp, when my CPU load is about 20% and my GPU load is around 65%? Where is the bottleneck?

The same mission on other maps is fine.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Really helpful, thanks.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

is it possibly related to this? not sure if they fixed it yet (static hornets).

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=210086&highlight=static+hornet+fps

Thanks for that. Could be, but not so sure as the same mission on the Caucasus has some static planes - maybe Hornets, can’t remember - as well, and it’s ok.

What I am really asking, is not why is the FPS really low, it’s why with so much spare capacity in CPU and GPU terms is there an issue at all.

I hear ya :)

not to presume, but dcs being basically single core bound, have you verified that one core is not in the high 90's % utilized?

beyond that, I've no idea sorry.

I'm betting this is what it is.

I hear ya :)

not to presume, but dcs being basically single core bound, have you verified that one core is not in the high 90's % utilized?

beyond that, I've no idea sorry.

Dead right, guys. In PG map, the single core CPU is on 100% until I move towards the runway. Not the case in the Ramp Start on Caucasus where it's around 65-70%.

I'm sure it's been asked a zillion times, but why does DCS only use a single core?

imacken,

I can't try cause I still don't have PG map, but did you try to disable your hyperthreading in bios and run the exact same mission ? actually with HT on, DCS engine tends to load the last logical core on my system, but HT off makes the load being spread on all full cores (1 core not divided in 2 logical cores).

Does this make a difference ? maybe it will maybe not I'm sure of nothing.

imacken,

I can't try cause I still don't have PG map, but did you try to disable your hyperthreading in bios and run the exact same mission ? actually with HT on, DCS engine tends to load the last logical core on my system, but HT off makes the load being spread on all full cores (1 core not divided in 2 logical cores).

Does this make a difference ? maybe it will maybe not I'm sure of nothing.

Thanks for that. It might work, but I’m not prepared to run different BIOS settings just for DCS, but I appreciate the suggestion!

Or maybe try to set affinity to "pairs" logical cores (0,2,4,6,8,10) with task manager/detail/right click on DCS.exe, or better using process lasso - according to Bitmaster it does the same "spread" job.

With disabling hyperthreading it's just that you'll be sure to have full core capacity available, instead of still having logical cores for each core that can take capacity for running other tasks.

BTW disabling HT is just to see if it does something, even if not willing to be used, just curiosity.