Newer to DCS. Using a Mod Manager for DCS is a huge confusing pain

Love this simulator. I run in VR with a nice home cockpit. I've modded games before and it is always a process.

I've looked at the sticky in this forum for help. It is a long long long list of a gabillion steps. I've downloaded OvGme because apparently JVGME or wtvr that one is is supposedly old now.

I've tried to setup the directories in OvGme and have downloaded mods from the ED website. When I try to extract it keeps stopping halfway through extraction so I literally drag the file from where its downloaded to the desktop and then drag the mod then into my _mods folder I created. OvGme shows that my terminator Mirage 2000 skin is "green" and working. I'm used to loading the "game" from the mod tool but OvGme doesn't have a load option.

So the mods are green in OvGme and I just open up DCS beta separately?

I tried, and cant find the skin anywhere.

Honestly, I know once it's setup mod managers are the way to go. For those of us that are candidates for needing modding for dummies, this is a huge barrier to entry.

When in God's name will someone Ever make a modding tool that you just open, drag mods into, and launch game. Thats it!?

Can anyone type a simply 3 sentence guide to how on earth to get a modding tool to work?

Maybe I should just download the mods directly into the mod folders. I'd bet that will work. Yeah it may not be idea, supposedly it "breaks" this or that, but I could get it to work I'd bet.

1. point OvGME to your mods save location (any folder on you pc)

2. point OvGME to the DCS saved games folder c/user/*username*/savedgames/dcs

3. download a mod & extract to your mod folder save location

4. make sure mod file structure matches the game file structure -

liveries example "TERMINATOR MIRAGE" should be extracted and the folder tree inside should be

as follows - terminator mirage/Liveries/M-2000C/terminator mirage/(all livery .dds files & discription.lua)

an aircraft would be - Aircraft mod name/mods/aircraft/aircraft name/(all files & luas)

5. activate in OvGME

6. Start DCS

Edited by Dingo_Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modules are like Pokemon you gotta catch 'em all :joystick::lol::pilotfly:

AMD Ryzen7 3700x, G-Skills 32Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz, MSI GTX1080Ti, TM Warthog (20cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift, Track Ir5

.. I've modded games before and it is always a process.

And what Mod manager did you use back then? ... the issues are the same on every game, in fact JSGME has been used since long before DCS .. I used it back on the days of Silent Hunter.

So, you should use the same techniques for modding DCS .. the only thing that differs from game to game is the folder structure of each.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Don’t forget to go into theme to choose the skin for you aircraft otherwise the default skin or the default skin the mission builder chose will be the one seen

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.