Modular Panel WIP

Blue73

Cheers Stefan.

Honest answer, I didn't know it existed :)

I've designed and printed it now, shipping is too expensive to have Mouser send just this POT. Much appreciated for the heads-up, if I do require other components I'll add it to the order.

Hi John,

you are doing a great job with your panels! :thumbup:

There's one thing I don't understand, however - why are you using two pots for the temperature control instead of a double shaft pot (like the Bourns PTH901-030S-103B1) ?

Cheers,

Stefan

Hi All,

The Bleed Air and Temperature controls are complete. Everything works as intended, the magnets do a great job with the detent feel.

Bleed Air Control

Parts

WCc33Xs.jpg

HE Sensor Installation

qwILVKG.jpg

Completed Assembly

2SRkON6.jpg

Side View, 7 pins are required, 5 sensors, +5V and GND.

UnB6B5W.jpg

Temperature Control

Parts

nfim5q7.jpg

Completed Assembly, will need to shorten the outer POT shaft length.

0uWLp0d.jpg

Both together.

NQCKUMK.jpg

cheers

John

:) yes, I've been printing boxes on the right hand side and trying out vapour smoothing on my new rotary knobs. Had to reprint a few times to get the technique right. It's come out well, will upload pictures.

Its been 7 days since your last update, you must be printing something big... :thumbup:

Edited by Blue73

Hi All,

I'm working on the next four boxes running down the right hand side at once. Controls are in for the first three, waiting on 45 degree POT's for the sensor panel.

gE50NVs.png

Here are the vapour smoothed buttons, it started off as ABS 0.09mm layer height 3D print then smoothed and the stripe painted.

UsG3qoL.jpg

14LRQJx.jpg

xfh8zkw.jpg

SwhcQZb.jpg

cheers

John

Edited by Blue73

Thanks Aaron! Once I've completed the design phase I'll release the STL's. I'm still improving the old designs.

cheers

John

Looking really fantastic, John! The vapor-smoothing looks phenomenal! Not sure if you intend to release or sell models, but I can't wait to try printing some functional parts like this when I get my printer running.

Amazing workmanship and dedication Blue.

How do you flush mount the switches? Are the threads just tapped into the plastic or have you devised some mounting hardware under the lid?

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

All electronics are now complete (except the radar panel) and working in sim.

Here's a couple of shots of the interior lighting panel. I'm going to switch my wiring to local face wiring sockets then a ribbon to the Arduino, much neater that way.

This also shows my v2 Arduino mount where it's reverse mounted and bolted directly to the face plate. Not having to remove the knobs to get to the USB socket is an advantage, it also allows for a slimmer form factor as it doesn't need to slide out.

Ik20okf.jpg

fWDAzXZ.jpg

cheers

John

Edited by Blue73

Thanks TechRoss! HaHa, yes mate they've been put in an acetone vapor-bath. The smoothed surface also improves finger grip, raw 3d printed parts are a little slippery.

cheers

John

John as always just outstanding.. this is not a personal question, but how did you get your knobs so smooth ;)

I know you use ABS, are you using a vapor bath. They look smooth as glass.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I just read through this entire thread and am currently picking my jaw up of the floor, amazing work man, this is pit goals for sure. The amount of work you are putting into this is truly awe inspiring.

I can't wait to see an assembled pit made once you get all of these out together and operating. Keep the build log style posts going.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your comments Gotwake! :) I can see the dedicated pit happening one day.

Wow, I just read through this entire thread and am currently picking my jaw up of the floor, amazing work man, this is pit goals for sure. The amount of work you are putting into this is truly awe inspiring.

I can't wait to see an assembled pit made once you get all of these out together and operating. Keep the build log style posts going.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Modular Panel (WIP) : Lower Panels Completed

Hi All,

The final panel the SNSR panel is now complete. Next I'll be working on the front panels that span the sides and reach the desk where the keyboard current is, like in a T structure. It'll be all plastic so I'll need to conscious of the weight. VR means I wont need to see the screen.

I've cut out the internal stop from within the 8 pin rotary INS switch so it can complete a full circle.

I've designed the 3 position RADAR mode switch with the spring loaded pull action to activate the emergency option.

CzdyqEo.png

JC0vZZ3.png

dlMqYHt.jpg

S2WoUNE.jpg

yuOHP6s.jpg

CKiWVMn.jpg

cheers

John

Edited by Blue73

Thanks again for the details of the construction!

Unbelievable how fast you brought almost a whole instrument set into life:

Designing, printing, putting electronics in, ...

Just jaw-dropping!

Your're on final: A big thumbs up, mate! :thumbup:

Btw.: G19... Nice keyboard :D

Edited by RightStuff
grammar