Modular Panel WIP

Blue73

Hi All,

I've been developing this modular panel solution for the past few weeks. The idea is to able to readily interchange or add new modules. The basics are functional, moving onto designing double width panels, portrait panels, lighting up the second and third buses and tweaking the overall design.

Two prototype slave 40mm panels are shown here connected to the master. Footer braces and side clips lock everything together. It's very solid, the switches can be toggled with the throttle off the ground.

Modules are rigidly locked to the base plate, sandwiched between the two throttle metal plates.

To program the slaves the top plate is removed as shown.

The panels interlock via DB9 male/female sockets.

Eventually there will be a complete set of panels running down the left side. The other two buses are intended for centre and right panels.

OTpuenn.jpg

9gqdF99.jpg

Showing the throttle mounting braces

bAAsyoe.jpg

Top panel removed for slave programming.

USB0nN6.jpg

Throttle Sandwich.

iDKrRiJ.jpg

cheers

John

Edited by Blue73

Haha that's so cool! Looking forward to see more of your design

That's a really neat way to attach the box to the throttle. Amazing the design flexibility you get with a 3d printer.

Very very cool, I look forward to seeing how this develops.

I have my own 3D printer and after solving the last headache (turns out the filament was snagging on the run out sensor), I'm looking forward to printing many more flight sim components (I've currently made MFD mounts and a body for deltaalphalima's replacement slew mod, also a custom trackIR mount after the original broke).

https://i.imgur.com/8BHB7wu.jpg

Question: do the switches themselves determine what function they have in the sim (like DCSBIOS panels do) or are they just generic?

Edited by 98abaile

Thanks DeadMeat, As long as you're aware of 3D printing's limitations what you can design is pretty much limited by your CAD skills.

Haha that's so cool! Looking forward to see more of your design

That's a really neat way to attach the box to the throttle. Amazing the design flexibility you get with a 3d printer.

Thanks 98abaile. I have a Zortrax M200, it's been good to me so far, one failed print (clogged nozzle) in over year of use, the printer before that was a nightmare. Can you repost the link? The one you posted doesn't work.

I am using DCSBIOS to drive these panels. The master is the 80mm unit and the two 40mm units are slaves. I have a MAX487's driving the bus in all units. Arduino Mega in master and Nano's in slaves.

edit - working now must be my end, that's a nice setup!

Very very cool, I look forward to seeing how this develops.

I have my own 3D printer and after solving the last headache (turns out the filament was snagging on the run out sensor), I'm looking forward to printing many more flight sim components (I've currently made MFD mounts and a body for deltaalphalima's replacement slew mod, also a custom trackIR mount after the original broke).

https://i.imgur.com/8BHB7wu.jpg

Question: do the switches themselves determine what function they have in the sim (like DCSBIOS panels do) or are they just generic?

Edited by Blue73

That looks really cool!

Are you using a smaller MCU in the slaves which communicate via I²C?

Does the master act as an HID to the host?

Edited by f4l0

Thanks!

It's just RS485 as designed into DCSBIOS. Really simple to get working. Each Slave has it's own vertically mounted Arduino Nano, you can see it's exposed mini-usb port in one of the pictures. If I want to change any control I just pop the top panel, plug in and upload new code. Which thanks to DCSBIOS is basically copy paste.

cheers

John

That looks really cool!

Are you using a smaller MCU in the slaves which communicate via I²C?

Does the master act as an HID to the host?

Ah ok. When your plans are available I might move into the direction of an universal USB HID. Currently I'm using an Arduino Leonardo with some shift registers to get the number of IO pins I need.

However, I really like your modular design especially with the d-sub connection and the mounting possibilities for the TM throttle. I need to check what protocol DCSBIOS uses to connect the MCUs.

These are flipping awesome.

As a noob to DCS-BIOS (and DCS really) I have been printing up little boxes of all shapes and sizes, putting in my switches, setting up the Arduino only to realise I don't like the layout or something. This solution looks like the answer to a lot of these sorts of problems.

Hope you don't mind me asking so I can try understand this more.

You have the main big box, that holds your Mega, this is your Master.

Each little module box, has a Nano and your chosen switch layout.

So one module box could be for some Hornet switches.

Another module box could be for the Huey switches and you can just switch them out if you feel for.

Or you can just decide to change the program on a Nano to suit what you want those switches to do.

That is genius.

Currently I have to boxes, one with a Mega and one with a Uno.

They are each connected to their own COMM port and if I want to switch Planes, I have to upload the right sketch to each Arduino. Bit of a pain really and sure it could be improved, a whole lot.

Thanks TechRoss! That is exactly my intention with this, to be able to easily change the layout depending on the aircraft. When the F-14 module is released I want to be able to print F-14 modules or reuse modules that are similar by reprogramming slaves. I may repeat the same method as my A-10 Fuel Panel where I first learn which aircraft is loaded then dynamically instance/release controls during runtime.

Yes your understanding is correct, Mega as the master and then the Nano's as slaves that can be easily reprogrammed. That's why I've exposed the USB port on the top, hidden under the face plate, so when I have a full bank of modules I can quickly reprogram if necessary.

When I started to imagine this solution it started with the concept of modules interconnected with D-SUBS so I could easily change the layout. I didn't want to custom build modules for every aircraft. I have more design layouts that are yet to be realized. For now I'm getting the basics fleshed out. I have 3D templates that will allow me to rapidly knock out 3D models for the various modules once I'm happy with the basic design.

This is an early concept model showing slaves arranged around the throttle.

HT95qFW.png

cheers

John

These are flipping awesome.

As a noob to DCS-BIOS (and DCS really) I have been printing up little boxes of all shapes and sizes, putting in my switches, setting up the Arduino only to realise I don't like the layout or something. This solution looks like the answer to a lot of these sorts of problems.

Hope you don't mind me asking so I can try understand this more.

You have the main big box, that holds your Mega, this is your Master.

Each little module box, has a Nano and your chosen switch layout.

So one module box could be for some Hornet switches.

Another module box could be for the Huey switches and you can just switch them out if you feel for.

Or you can just decide to change the program on a Nano to suit what you want those switches to do.

That is genius.

Currently I have to boxes, one with a Mega and one with a Uno.

They are each connected to their own COMM port and if I want to switch Planes, I have to upload the right sketch to each Arduino. Bit of a pain really and sure it could be improved, a whole lot.

Edited by Blue73

Thanks TechRoss! That is exactly my intention with this, to be able to easily change the layout depending on the aircraft. When the F-14 module is released I want to be able to print F-14 modules or reuse modules that are similar by reprogramming slaves. I may repeat the same method as my A-10 Fuel Panel where I first learn which aircraft is loaded then dynamically instance/release controls during runtime.

Yes your understanding is correct, Mega as the master and then the Nano's as slaves that can be easily reprogrammed. That's why I've exposed the USB port on the top, hidden under the face plate, so when I have a full bank of modules I can quickly reprogram if necessary.

When I started to imagine this solution it started with the concept of modules interconnected with D-SUBS so I could easily change the layout. I didn't want to custom build modules for every aircraft. I have more design layouts that are yet to be realized. For now I'm getting the basics fleshed out. I have 3D templates that will allow me to rapidly knock out 3D models for the various modules once I'm happy with the basic design.

n

Bloody fantastic!!!

Guess who has been reading up on DCS-BIOS RS485 all morning.

I am confident with the Arduino but this little bit is going over my head.

Do you have a post about your A-10 "sensing" panel?

I thought about the idea of detecting what plane is running in DCS to set what code to use, but yeah, that one flew right over my head in a big way also.

Using DCSBIOS makes it all very easy, just need some MAX487's to drive a pair of bus wires. Connect the 487's to your Arduino's serial ports and a single pin that controls rx/tx and you're good. When I'm back home I'll dig up a code sample from the A-10 panel.

cheers

John

Bloody fantastic!!!

I thought about the idea of detecting what plane is running in DCS to set what code to use, but yeah, that one flew right over my head in a big way also.

Can you PM me your email? Code is too long to be able to PM you.

Bloody fantastic!!!

Modular Panel (WIP) : Update new IFF/ILS Panel

Hi,

Here is a picture of the completed ILS/IFF Panel, it's a 120mm panel. So I have 40mm, 80mm and 120mm panels. Next as I move forward I'll design/print the portrait panels. I've also designed a panel that bolts directly to the rear of the throttle encasing the lower lip extension.

9STJGSB.jpg

cheers

John

Edited by Blue73

What does the panels cost to print so ill know what I’m getting into?

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Hi, If you're talking about engaging in a similar project with your own 3d printer then each box is around 80-150 grams of plastic. Most of the cost is in the switches and electronics. If you're referring to my project I haven't made a decision on whether I sell these or provide the plans so people can build them themselves. My main focus at the moment is to complete the design.

cheers

John

What does the panels cost to print so ill know what I’m getting into?